* HOWTO set up a CVS server ...
@ 2003-08-28 19:10 Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2003-08-28 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Overseers,

It turns out that I have to set up a CVS server for my day job (serving
the source code of our numerical weather prediction program to the eight
NMS's in our consortium; http://www.knmi.nl/hirlam).

I hope that there is a document that describes how to do this - and that
you know where to find it :-)

Thanks in advance for any help,

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc-g95.sourceforge.net/ (under construction)

* Re: HOWTO set up a CVS server ...
@ 2003-08-28 19:26 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-08-28 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:08:58PM +0200, Toon Moene wrote:
> Overseers,
>
> It turns out that I have to set up a CVS server for my day job (serving
> the source code of our numerical weather prediction program to the eight
> NMS's in our consortium; http://www.knmi.nl/hirlam).
>
> I hope that there is a document that describes how to do this - and that
> you know where to find it :-)

If you want a CVS server using the same techniques that we use, you don't
set up a CVS server.  You set up an SSH server and then following the same
instructions that we give to new write-access users.

If you want a CVS "pserver"-protocol, then www.cvshome.com is probably a
good place to start.

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

* Re: HOWTO set up a CVS server ...
@ 2003-08-28 22:34 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-08-28 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: overseers

Toon Moene <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl> writes:

> I hope that there is a document that describes how to do this - and
> that you know where to find it :-)

The CVS manual is the place to start.

As Phil said, if you want people to be able to check stuff in, you
might as well set up SSH access.  Anybody with write access to a CVS
repository will be able to run any program they like on your system
anyhow.

If you are only interested in people checking stuff out anonymously,
you can use the pserver mode described in the CVS manual.  I run it
under tcpserver myself, or you can run it under inetd/xinetd.

Ian