public inbox for rda@sourceware.org
From: cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To: drow@mvista.com
Cc: rda@sources.redhat.com, gdb@sources.redhat.com
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:02:00 -0000	[thread overview]

At Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:19:21 +0000 (UTC), "Daniel Jacobowitz" wrote:
> There is no benefit to the community in having a publicly developed RDA
> that I can see.

I got all excited about RDA when i saw the announcement, because i was
hoping that it wasn't GPL'd.  As it is, it's GPL'd but Copyright Red
Hat.  *sigh*

It seems to me that this means that it pretty much equivalent to
gdbserver (modulo implementation or feature differences) **EXCEPT**:

        * RH can use it however they wish w/o distributing source, and

        * RH can sell licenses to third parties, to allow them to use
          it under whatever terms they're willing to pay for.

I think a non-GPL'd (i.e., "actually-free software" 8-)
gdbserver/RDA-like thing would be of great benefit to the community.

However, like you said, i think that the existing RDA is of benefit
only to RedHat.  Potential users who want to develop it or develop
using it should be aware of that.

cgd