public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* how to get started?
@ 2002-03-20 18:03 Robert Lee
From: Robert Lee @ 2002-03-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1311 bytes --]

Hi,

I heard about SID and I think it is cool.
Unfortunately, I do not quite understand how to get
started.  Can anybody give me a hand?  Thanks!

I checked out the source code, did "make" and "make
install".  Everything looked fine.  I got a directory
which contains bin/, include/, info/, lib/, man/, and
share/.  In bin/, I found files such as sid and
configrun-sid.  Then, I am lost.

In the user's guide, chapter "Using SID" says, "sid
arm7t-config" but I did not find a file named
"arm7t-config" anywhere.

I found some .conf files in share/sid/.  I ran "sid
arm-pid-tksm.conf" and a TK window showed up.  When I
ran "sid arm-cma.conf", it said:
arm-cma.conf:46: component type hw-visual-lcd unknown
arm-cma.conf:99: component display not found
arm-cma.conf:100: component display not found
arm-cma.conf:103: component display not found
arm-cma.conf:104: component display not found
Configuration error.  Aborting.

Finally, I tried "sid i386-gdb.conf" and it seemed
hanging.

Can I run in SID a "hello world" program that runs on
a real ARM processor?  How can I do it?

Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

=====
Robert Lee
Software Engineer

http://movies.yahoo.com/

* Re: how to get started?
@ 2002-03-20 18:42 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2002-03-20 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Lee; +Cc: sid

Hi.

> I heard about SID and I think it is cool.

Thanks!  (And thanks for your interest).

> I checked out the source code, did "make" and "make
> install".  Everything looked fine.  I got a directory
> which contains bin/, include/, info/, lib/, man/, and
> share/.  In bin/, I found files such as sid and
> configrun-sid.  Then, I am lost.

configrun-sid is not run directly (although it can be).  There are two
ways to run sid:

	sid <conf-file>

(as you have done with i386-gdb.conf).

or via a front-end script which generates a customised configuration file
based on the options you pass to the script on the command line.  For
example, see arm-elf-sid --help.

> Finally, I tried "sid i386-gdb.conf" and it seemed hanging.

It's not hanging; it is blocked waiting for a connection from GDB.

Cheers, Ben

* Re: how to get started?
@ 2002-03-21  9:50   ` Robert Lee
From: Robert Lee @ 2002-03-21  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sid

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1504 bytes --]

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion.   (I hope this question
makes sense.)  I have a "hello world" program that
runs on a real ARM processor.  Can I run this program
on SID and see "hello world" on screen?  Do you mind
giving me hints to make this work?

I am evaluating simulators to build a framework for
studying multiple processors.  Does it make sense to
choose SID as the foundation?

--- Ben Elliston <bje@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > I heard about SID and I think it is cool.
>
> Thanks!  (And thanks for your interest).
>
> > I checked out the source code, did "make" and
> "make
> > install".  Everything looked fine.  I got a
> directory
> > which contains bin/, include/, info/, lib/, man/,
> and
> > share/.  In bin/, I found files such as sid and
> > configrun-sid.  Then, I am lost.
>
> configrun-sid is not run directly (although it can
> be).  There are two
> ways to run sid:
>
> 	sid <conf-file>
>
> (as you have done with i386-gdb.conf).
>
> or via a front-end script which generates a
> customised configuration file
> based on the options you pass to the script on the
> command line.  For
> example, see arm-elf-sid --help.
>
> > Finally, I tried "sid i386-gdb.conf" and it seemed
> hanging.
>
> It's not hanging; it is blocked waiting for a
> connection from GDB.
>
> Cheers, Ben

=====
Robert Lee
Software Engineer

http://movies.yahoo.com/

* Re: how to get started?
@ 2002-03-21 10:53     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2002-03-21 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Lee; +Cc: sid

Hi -

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:50:49AM -0800, Robert Lee wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion.   (I hope this question
> makes sense.)  I have a "hello world" program that
> runs on a real ARM processor.  Can I run this program
> on SID and see "hello world" on screen?  [...]

This depends on how exactly this program was built, or
more specifically, in what kind of environment that
ARM program is meant to run in.  Is it on a bare board?
Under ANGEL?  eCos?  Linux?  SID can be configured to
provide an emulation of some of these environments.

> I am evaluating simulators to build a framework for
> studying multiple processors.  Does it make sense to
> choose SID as the foundation?

Sure.

- FChE

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* run helloworld
@ 2002-03-21 15:31       ` Robert Lee
From: Robert Lee @ 2002-03-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: sid

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 962 bytes --]

I can configure the program to run in different
environments.  How about on Assabet (an ARM board from
Intel) for linux?

Thanks!

--- "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:50:49AM -0800, Robert Lee
> wrote:
> > Thank you for the suggestion.   (I hope this
> question
> > makes sense.)  I have a "hello world" program that
> > runs on a real ARM processor.  Can I run this
> program
> > on SID and see "hello world" on screen?  [...]
>
> This depends on how exactly this program was built,
> or
> more specifically, in what kind of environment that
> ARM program is meant to run in.  Is it on a bare
> board?
> Under ANGEL?  eCos?  Linux?  SID can be configured
> provide an emulation of some of these environments.

=====
Robert Lee
Software Engineer

http://movies.yahoo.com/

* Re: run helloworld
@ 2002-03-21 17:14         ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2002-03-21 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Lee; +Cc: sid

Hi -

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 03:31:35PM -0800, Robert Lee wrote:
> I can configure the program to run in different
> environments.  How about on Assabet (an ARM board from
> Intel) for linux?

In other words, it is an arm-linux program that you're trying
to run on the simulator (but without running the full linux
kernel)?  This would require sid to emulate linux system calls,
for which no support exists right now.  It might be possible to
run linux in its entirety on the simulator, but that in turn
requires that enough board-level stuff (peripherals, memory maps,
virtual hard drives, etc.) be configured for linux to boot.  I
believe there is no prepackaged sid configuration for that specific
board, so this would take a bit of work.

You may find it easier to grab a new arm-elf cross toolchain, and
build an ANGEL-based executable (sid can emulate core ANGEL monitor
calls), or consider using a "well-traveled" sid board-level
configuration such as eCos running on a simulated ARM PID7T board.

@ 2002-03-22  8:10           ` Robert Lee
From: Robert Lee @ 2002-03-22  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: sid

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1631 bytes --]

Thanks for the explanation. I know SID is still being
developed.  Is there anything that I can try now to
get some understanding about its capability?  What
test programs do you run on SID?  May I follow the
same steps to run these programs?

Thanks a lot!

--- "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 03:31:35PM -0800, Robert Lee
> wrote:
> > I can configure the program to run in different
> > environments.  How about on Assabet (an ARM board
> from
> > Intel) for linux?
>
> In other words, it is an arm-linux program that
> you're trying
> to run on the simulator (but without running the
> full linux
> kernel)?  This would require sid to emulate linux
> system calls,
> for which no support exists right now.  It might be
> possible to
> run linux in its entirety on the simulator, but that
> in turn
> requires that enough board-level stuff (peripherals,
> memory maps,
> virtual hard drives, etc.) be configured for linux
> to boot.  I
> believe there is no prepackaged sid configuration
> for that specific
> board, so this would take a bit of work.
>
> You may find it easier to grab a new arm-elf cross
> toolchain, and
> build an ANGEL-based executable (sid can emulate
> core ANGEL monitor
> calls), or consider using a "well-traveled" sid
> board-level
> configuration such as eCos running on a simulated
> ARM PID7T board.
>
> - FChE

=====
Robert Lee
Software Engineer

http://movies.yahoo.com/

* Re: run helloworld
@ 2002-04-01  7:40             ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2002-04-01  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Lee; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, sid

Hi.

  Robert> Thanks for the explanation. I know SID is still being
  Robert> developed.  Is there anything that I can try now to
  Robert> get some understanding about its capability?  What
  Robert> test programs do you run on SID?  May I follow the
  Robert> same steps to run these programs?

Are you referring to documentation or sample programs to gain an
understanding about SID?  There is plenty of documentation now, linked
from the SID home page.  There are also some sample programs included
that can be built using arm-elf-gcc and run in various modes (for
example, see the ESC West screenshots to get a feel for what can be
done).

Cheers, Ben