public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* sid uart1 displays hex output
@ 2002-09-24  2:28 T Satish Kumar
From: T Satish Kumar @ 2002-09-24  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

         When i run the program using the sid. i get the output in the form of hex code on the
System monitor's uart1 output window pane !
   How can i get to see the output in its original format i.e for eg:
if the output to be displayed is "Hello" in the printf() function..
the uart1 window pane displays 48656C6C6F

plz some tell me how to see the output in its original format.

thanks in advance
satish

T Satish Kumar
Design Engineer
SANYO, JAPAN.

* Re: sid uart1 displays hex output
@ 2002-09-24  5:50 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2002-09-24  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T Satish Kumar; +Cc: sid, ecos-discuss

Hi -

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:28:40PM -0700, T Satish Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> When i run the program using the sid. i get the output in the form of
> hex code on the System monitor's uart1 output window pane !
>    How can i get to see the output in its original format i.e for eg:
> if the output to be displayed is "Hello" in the printf() function..
> the uart1 window pane displays 48656C6C6F
> [...]

It turns out that this question rightfully belongs to eCos, not to SID.
The eCos libraries sometimes believe that they have a console connection
to GDB instead of a raw tty, and therefore encode output in gdb's remote
protocol $O packets.  You need to tell eCos not to do this encoding for
console output.  I don't recall how to do this - it may be an ecosconfig
option.

- FChE

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* Re: [ECOS] Re: sid uart1 displays hex output
@ 2002-09-24  5:53   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2002-09-24  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: T Satish Kumar, sid, ecos-discuss

CYGSEM_HAL_DIAG_MANGLER

 Andrew

@ 2002-09-24  5:56   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-09-24  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: T Satish Kumar, sid, eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 06:50, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:28:40PM -0700, T Satish Kumar wrote:
> > Hi,
> > When i run the program using the sid. i get the output in the form of
> > hex code on the System monitor's uart1 output window pane !
> >    How can i get to see the output in its original format i.e for eg:
> > if the output to be displayed is "Hello" in the printf() function..
> > the uart1 window pane displays 48656C6C6F
> > [...]
>
> It turns out that this question rightfully belongs to eCos, not to SID.
> The eCos libraries sometimes believe that they have a console connection
> to GDB instead of a raw tty, and therefore encode output in gdb's remote
> protocol $O packets.  You need to tell eCos not to do this encoding for
> console output.  I don't recall how to do this - it may be an ecosconfig
> option.

This program (eCos application?) thinks that this output is being handled
by GDB.  Turn it off by disabling CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR and rebuilding
the application.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* Re: [ECOS] Re: sid uart1 displays hex output
@ 2002-09-24 22:34     ` T Satish Kumar
From: T Satish Kumar @ 2002-09-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: sid, eCos Discussion

well, previously i was using ecos 1.3.1..but later when i tried the same
using ecos 2.0..
this time..i m not able to see even the Hex equivalent of the original
string format ..
i disabled both the options and built the ecos library:
eCos HAL->ROM Monitor support->Work with a ROM Monitor to Disabled
(unchecked)

eCos HAL->Platform-independent HAL options->Route diagnostic output to debug
channel to Disabled (unchecked)

but still therez no output string seen in the uart1 of the system monitor
window.

what could be the problem...?

satish