public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)
       [not found] <20021205190728.GA11507@doctormoo>
@ 2003-01-12 10:32 ` Klee Dienes
From: Klee Dienes @ 2003-01-12 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb-patches, binutils, newlib, gcc, sid

The following is the current state-of-the art of my autoconf-2.5x
conversion of the gcc/gdb/binutils repositories. It updates the
following directories:

common:	libiberty
src:		bfd binutils gas gdb gprof ld mmalloc opcodes rda sim utils
gcc:		boehm-gc fastjar gcc libf2c libffi libjava libobjc libstdc++-v3
zlib

It does *not* update the following directories:

common:	include texinfo config etc contrib
src:		blt cgen cpu dejagnu expect intl itcl iwidgets libgloss libgui
newlib readline tcl tk winsup sid"
gcc:		libbanshee libchill libio libmudflap libstdc++"

I used the following versions of the various tools:

libtool:		1.4e (top-of-tree, with the attached patch)
autoconf:		2.57 (with the attached patch)
automake:	1.7.2
gettext:		0.11.5
autogen:		5.5

The attached archive contains the following files:

ChangeLog:
setup.sh:			Script to convert to autotools-2.5x and build an uberbaum
tree
autoconf.txt:		Fixes to autoconf-2.57 required by this patch.
common-diffs.txt	Patches to directories shared by 'src' and gcc.
gcc-diffs.txt		Patches to the gcc directories.
libtool-diffs.txt		Patch to libtool-1.4e required by this patch.
src-diffs.txt		Patches to the 'src' directories.
top-diffs.txt		Patches to top-level files in both 'src' and gcc.

[-- Attachment #2: ChangeLog --]

.
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* configure.in: Allow AS_FOR_TARGET explicitly, to avoid confusing
	automake (which thinks it's a macro).
	Use $target, $build, and $host to get canonical tuples, rather
	than $target_alias, $build_alias, and $host_alias.  Don't pass
	--cache= arguments to sub-configures (they'll default to not using
	a cache file).
	(baseargs): Strip quotes from single-quoted strings in
	ac_configure_args.
	(libstdcxx_flags): Assume that testsuite_flags will not prepend a
	space; always have a single space between arguments, even if
	testsuite_flags returns an empty string.

	* config.if:  Use $target, $build, and $host to get canonical
	tuples, rather than $target_alias, $build_alias, and $host_alias.

	* Makefile.tpl: Echo the sub-configures before executing them.
	Pass LDFLAGS to sub-makes via the environment.

	* .cvsignore: Add autom4te.cache.

libiberty
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* aclocal.m4: Use AC_LIBOBJ instead of setting LIBOBJS directly.
	Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and $ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of
	AC_PROG_CC_GNU and $ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to
	get the object file extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of
	AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with
	AC_LANG_PUSH.
	* configure.in: Use AC_LIBOBJ instead of setting LIBOBJS directly.

newlib
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and
	$ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of AC_PROG_CC_GNU and
	$ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to get the object file
	extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap
	LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with AC_LANG_PUSH.

	* configure.in: Add description strings to AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED calls.

bfd
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.
	* configure.in: Use AC_DISABLE_SHARED and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
	instead of the AM_ versions.

binutils
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Makefile.am (YLWRAP): Refer to the top-level ylwrap.
	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.
	* configure.in: Use AC_PROG_LEX instead of AM_PROG_LEX.
        (EMULATION): Use $target, not $target_alias.

gas
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Makefile.am: Update to new ylwrap calling conventions.
	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.
	* configure.in: Pass explicit value to AC_CONFIG_FILES, not
	${GDBINIT}.  Use AC_CONFIG_FILES, AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS, and
	AC_OUTPUT, not the multi-argument AC_OUTPUT.  Use a fixed pathname
	in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR; modify ac_aux_dir explicitly to contain the
	computed pathname.

gdb
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Makefile.in: Update to new ylwrap calling conventions.
	* configure.in: Pass description string to AC_DEFINE.

gdb/testsuite
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* gdb.hp/gdb.objdbg/configure.in: Remove objdbg0* from
	AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.

gprof
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.

ld
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Makefile.am (YLWRAP): Refer to the top-level ylwrap.
	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.

opcodes
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.

rda
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* configure.in: Use AC_PROG_LIBTOOL instead of AM_PROG_LIBTOOL.

rda/lib
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* lib/Makefile.am: Remove noinst_LIBRARIES and librda_a_SOURCES
	(it's not possible to specify both a libtool version and a
	non-libtool version using the same object files).

rda/unix
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* unix/configure.in: Pass description strings to AC_DEFINE.
	Use AC_PROG_LIBTOOL instead of AM_PROG_LIBTOOL.

rda/win32
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* win32/configure.in: Pass description strings to AC_DEFINE.
	Remove spurious check for "foo.h".

utils
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* configure.in: Call AC_PROG_CC to make sure that LDFLAGS is
	propagated properly.

sim/common
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Make-common.in: Pass arguments to config.status rather than using
	CONFIG_FILES.
	* aclocal.m4: Pass description strings to AC_DEFINE.  Use
	a fixed pathname in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR; modify ac_aux_dir
	explicitly to contain the computed pathname.  Use AC_CONFIG_FILES,
	AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS, and AC_OUTPUT, not the multi-argument
	AC_OUTPUT.
	* configure.in: Use a fixed pathname in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR; modify
	ac_aux_dir explicitly to contain the computed pathname.

sim/XXX
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* configure.in: Add call to AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR.

libobjc
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* configure.in: Add call to AC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
	* Makefile.in (toplevel_srcdir): Use top_srcdir/toprel, not
	toplevel_srcdir.
	* acinclude.m4: Export toprel directly, rather than a quoted
	reference to top_srcdir.  Use srcdir/toprel in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR,
	not top_srcdir/toprel.  Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and
	$ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of AC_PROG_CC_GNU and
	$ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to get the object file
	extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap
	LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with AC_LANG_PUSH.  Remove
	include of libtool.m4.

libf2c
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Export toprel directly, rather than a quoted
	reference to top_srcdir.  Use srcdir/toprel in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR,
	not top_srcdir/toprel.  Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and
	$ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of AC_PROG_CC_GNU and
	$ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to get the object file
	extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap
	LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with AC_LANG_PUSH.  Remove
	include of libtool.m4.  Move gcc_version_trigger code into
	configure.in.
	* Makefile.in: Use top_srcdir/toprel, not toplevel_srcdir.
	* libF77/configure.in: Use AC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
	* libI77/configure.in: Use AC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
	* libU77/configure.in: Use AC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
	* libf2c/configure.in: Use AC_NO_EXECUTABLES.  Move the subdir
	code to the top of configure.in.  Move gcc_version_code from
	aclocal.m4.  Reference srcdir/toprel, not toplevel_srcdir.

boehm-gc
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Makefile.am: Define CCAS and CCASFLAGS to pacify automake.
	Remove test.o hack.  Specify gctest_SOURCES, not gctest_OBJECTS.
	Remove duplicate setting for AM_CFLAGS.
	* acinclude.m4: Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and
	$ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of AC_PROG_CC_GNU and
	$ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to get the object file
	extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap
	LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with AC_LANG_PUSH.
	* configure.in: Move call to AM_PROG_LIBTOOL.

fastjar
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Use =, not +=, to set my_makei_flags.

libffi
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* Makefile.am: Define CCAS and CCASFLAGS to pacify automake.
	Specify ffitest_SOURCES, not ffitest_OBJECTS.  Remove duplicate
	setting for AM_CFLAGS.  Add TARGET_OBJ_XXX, corresponding to
	TARGET_SRC_XXX.  Remove the if @TARGET@ constructs; replace with
	libffi_la_{SOURCES,LIBADD,DEPENDENCIES}.  Add '-I.' to INCLUDES.
	* configure.in: Replace AM_CONFIG_HEADER with AC_CONFIG_HEADER.
	Use a fixed pathname in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR; modify ac_aux_dir
	explicitly to contain the computed pathname.  Use AC_CONFIG_FILES,
	AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS, and AC_OUTPUT, not the multi-argument
	AC_OUTPUT.
	* acinclude.m4: Remove include of libtool.m4.

libjava
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Remove AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM.  Use
	_AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and $ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of
	AC_PROG_CC_GNU and $ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to
	get the object file extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of
	AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with
	AC_LANG_PUSH. Remove include of libtool.m4.

	* configure.in: Add GCJ-style dependencies.  Call
	AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS for libltdl explicitly, not via $DIRLTDL.
	Replace AC_LANG_SAVE with AC_LANG_PUSH.  Call AM_PROJ_GCJ.
	* Makefile.am: Move ##-style comments out of rules and variable
	definitions.
	(INCLUDES): Add '-I.'.
	(nat_source_files): Rename the gcj natStringBuffer.cc to
	natStringBufferg.cc, to prevent a conflict with the one from
	java/lang.

libstdc++-v3
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Use a fixed pathname in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR; modify
	ac_aux_dir explicitly to contain the computed pathname.  Remove
	"just to satisfy automake" AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR hack.  Use
	_AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and $ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of
	AC_PROG_CC_GNU and $ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to
	get the object file extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of
	AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with
	AC_LANG_PUSH. Remove include of libtool.m4.  Move AM_CONDITIONAL
	calls to configure.in.
	* configure.in: Move AM_CONDITIONAL_CALLS from acinclude.m4.
	* libsupc++/Makefile.am (GCC_INCLUDES): Add '-I..'.

zlib
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* acinclude.m4: Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and
	$ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of AC_PROG_CC_GNU and
	$ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to get the object file
	extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap
	LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with AC_LANG_PUSH. Remove
	include of libtool.m4.
	* configure.in: Add call to AC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
gcc
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* aclocal.m4: Define AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION as empty function.
	* configure.in: Call AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION, to pacify automake.

fastjar
2003-01-07  Klee Dienes  <kdienes@apple.com>

	* configure.in: Use libtool variant of zlib.
	* acinclude.m4: Use _AC_LANG_COMPILER_GNU and
	$ac_cv_XXX_compiler_gnu instead of AC_PROG_CC_GNU and
	$ac_cv_prog_gcc.  Call _AC_COMPILER_OBJEXT to get the object file
	extension.  Use _AC_PROG_CC_G instead of AC_PROG_CC_G.  Wrap
	LIB_AC_PROG_CC and LIB_AC_PROG_CXX with AC_LANG_PUSH. Remove
	include of libtool.m4.

[-- Attachment #4: autoconf-diffs.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 25776 bytes --]

To run, first read through setup.sh, and make sure it won't do anything
you don't want it to do on your system.  Then set the values of
src_gcc, src_src, and dst_root, and run setup.sh.    The script will
rsync the checked-out gcc and src sources into a new directory, apply
the patches, and run autoreconf on all the appropriate directories.

I've built directory on i386-unknown-linux-gnu native, targetted to
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, and natively on i686-pc-cygwin (I got some
errors building winsup on cygwin, but they were the same errors I got
from the unmodified sources).  I've *not* run extensive tests on the
resulting builds --- I'm willing to do that, but it seemed a bit early
at this stage.

I did not attempt to make the patches compatible with both
autoconf-2.13 and autoconf-2.5x --- I suspect that would be a
significant challenge, and converting to automake-1.7 and autoconf-2.5x
was difficult enough.

* Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)
@ 2003-01-12 16:14   ` Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-01-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klee Dienes; +Cc: gdb-patches, binutils, newlib, gcc, sid

Klee Dienes wrote:
> The following is the current state-of-the art of my autoconf-2.5x
> conversion of the gcc/gdb/binutils repositories. It updates the
> following directories:
>
> common:    libiberty
> src:        bfd binutils gas gdb gprof ld mmalloc opcodes rda sim utils
> gcc:        boehm-gc fastjar gcc libf2c libffi libjava libobjc
> libstdc++-v3 zlib
>
> It does *not* update the following directories:
>
> common:    include texinfo config etc contrib
'include' shouldn't have a makefile.
'texinfo' is either imported from outside, or doesn't have a makefile.
'config' doesn't have one.
'contrib' shouldn't have one.
I'm not sure about 'etc', but I think it shouldn't.

> src:        blt cgen cpu dejagnu expect intl itcl iwidgets libgloss
> libgui newlib readline tcl tk winsup sid"
I don't know anything about 'blt', but it's not built by the top level,
so shouldn't be an issue.
'cgen' isn't built by the top level currently (although it will be again
sometime in the future) so it's not an issue either.
'dejagnu' is imported from outside, so we shouldn't touch it.
'expect' is imported from outside.
I don't know about 'intl'.
'itcl' is imported from outside.  (I think it still is, anyway.)
I don't know about 'iwidgets', but it's not built by the top level, so I
don't think we have to worry about it.
--> 'libgloss' actually needs to be done, I'm afraid.
--> I'm not sure about the status of 'libgui'.
--> 'newlib' actually needs to be done as well.
'readline' is imported from outside.
'tcl' is imported from outside.
'tk' is imported from outside.
--> 'winsup' is Cygwin.  It should be done, sometime.
--> 'sid' should be done.

> gcc:        libbanshee libchill libio libmudflap libstdc++"
'libbanshee' is branch only; the branch maintainer should do this.
'libchill' is dead.
'libio' is dead.
'libmudflap' is branch only; the branch maintainer should do this.
'libstdc++' is dead.

In other words, excellent work. :-)
I'll try to make a pass at the remaining directories, but I'm not sure
when I'll get to them.

I'd like to see some version of this in sooner rather than later;
incremental fixes are easier from this point than from the current
point, and it would be nice if it went in during gcc 'stage 1' when
major destabilizing changes are allowed.

 > autoconf:        2.57 (with the attached patch)
Think you can submit the patch to the autoconf maintainers and get it
into mainline autoconf?

 >top-diffs.txt        Patches to top-level files in both 'src' and gcc.
Honestly, I've wanted to make the ${x_alias}-->${x} change for the
directory names for a *long* time, but
a) it has to be done synchronously in all subdirectories and
b) it changes developer-visible behavior for cross builds (canonical
name rather than specified name)

If I could get buy-in from gcc, gdb, and binutils for a patch doing just
that, I would put it in right now (and make your diffs for autoconf 2.57
conversion rather shorter).  I never submitted it 'cause I figured it
would not be popular.

An alternative, if perhaps sillier, scheme would be to create new
autoconf macros to find the ${build_subdir} and ${target_subdir} values,
and put it in a file included by everyone who cares.

But it's *much* simpler to always use the canonicalized names.

--Nathanael

* Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)
@ 2003-01-12 17:14   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-01-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klee Dienes; +Cc: gdb-patches, binutils, newlib, gcc, sid

Klee Dienes <klee@apple.com> writes:

> The following is the current state-of-the art of my autoconf-2.5x
> conversion of the gcc/gdb/binutils repositories.

Two general comments:

1) I notice that you made the existing pseudo-AC_PROG_CC/CXX macros
   work again with 2.5x; this is wrong.  Get rid of them entirely,
   use the canonical AC_PROG_CC/CXX, and if they don't work right,
   patch autoconf until they do.

2) Why did you disable the shared config.cache?  It speeds up 'make
   configure' by an order of magnitude, especially on slow machines.

zw

* Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)
@ 2003-01-13  3:32     ` Klee Dienes
From: Klee Dienes @ 2003-01-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gdb-patches, binutils, newlib, gcc, sid

On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 12:13 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> 1) I notice that you made the existing pseudo-AC_PROG_CC/CXX macros
>    work again with 2.5x; this is wrong.  Get rid of them entirely,
>    use the canonical AC_PROG_CC/CXX, and if they don't work right,
>    patch autoconf until they do.

The original theory was that I was trying to keep the diffs to a
minimum, and that once the switch was flipped on 2.x, we could go back
and make a lot of more interesting cleanups to the configure scripts.
But I think you're right that my changes ended up complicated enough
that I should just replace them with the modern versions; I'll do that.

> 2) Why did you disable the shared config.cache?  It speeds up 'make
>    configure' by an order of magnitude, especially on slow machines.

I didn't disable the config.cache in the top-level scripts; it's just
that the new default is for autoconf to use a null cache file unless
configured with '-C'.  A good portion of my patch is actually present
solely to fix the use of a top-level cache file --- there were a number
of places where whitespace triggered the "value changed between runs"
checks in 2.5x.  I did disable the target config.cache, because there
were places where things really were being run with different flags
between runs (for example, the value of libstdcxx_flags varies by
directory), and fixing that seemed beyond the scope of the initial
conversion to 2.5x.

* Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)
@ 2003-01-13  7:31       ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-01-13  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klee Dienes; +Cc: gdb-patches, binutils, newlib, gcc, sid

Klee Dienes <klee@apple.com> writes:

> The original theory was that I was trying to keep the diffs to a
> minimum, and that once the switch was flipped on 2.x, we could go back
> and make a lot of more interesting cleanups to the configure scripts.

That's fair...

> But I think you're right that my changes ended up complicated enough
> that I should just replace them with the modern versions; I'll do
> that.

It may actually make sense to do the replacement as a separate patch,
introducing a shared aclocal.m4 fragment that backports
AC_NO_EXECUTABLES or similar to 2.13.  Put that in first, and your
diffs for the 2.5x conversion get quite a bit simpler.

> I didn't disable the config.cache in the top-level scripts; it's
> just that the new default is for autoconf to use a null cache file
> unless configured with '-C'.

I may have misunderstood your patch but I got the definite impression
that you dropped out the only bit that passes down the top-level
--cache-file setting to the sub-configures.  Which would mean, even if
the top level was run with -C, the sub-configures would use no cache
file, and wouldn't share caches if they did.

The change of default is wrong, but that's not your fault.

>  I did disable the target config.cache, because there were places
> where things really were being run with different flags between runs
> (for example, the value of libstdcxx_flags varies by directory), and
> fixing that seemed beyond the scope of the initial conversion to 2.5x.

Yeah, that's reasonable.  We'll want it back eventually though.

zw