From: "Pankaj Datta" <pdatta@earthlink.net>
To: <sourcenav@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: Cannot build project with windows binary
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:31:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jordan, Syd, Ian, and others,
    I have run into the same problem that you are discussing in this =
thread.

>> C:\> PATH includes C:\SourceNavigator\H-i686-pc-
>> cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin;C:\cygwin\bin;

> Get rid of the semi-colons in the path.

I do not see how one could get rid of the semi-colons in a Windows/DOS =
path.  Syd could you explain?

>> confusing issue in all this is that "make" can be called by SN even
>> though it exists in the same directory as g++, rm, etc.

>Are you sure that you are running the correct make?
>(i.e. you might not be running the same one that is in the
> directory with g++, rm, etc.)

Ian, I do not see how one could choose which version of make they run, =
since if you use the default option (make) as the SN build command in =
the SN build dialog box,  SN seems to be using its own version of make.

Until someone corrects this problem here's a workaround.  Thought I'd =
share it with you and others who may be in the same situation.=20
My setup is:
    -- Windows 98 + SN5.0 + CYGWIN.
    -- SN is installed in C:\sn
    -- cygwin is installed in C:\cygwin
    -- Windows PATH var is set to =
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;C:\CYGWIN\BIN in autoexec.bat

1) Create a batch file, say C:\snmake.bat with the following:

    PATH
    set =
PATH=3DC:\sn\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\window=
s\system;c:\cygwin\bin
    make %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

2) Use C:\snmake as your "Build command" in the SN build dialog box=20
   =20

The PATH command in the first line of the batch file allows you to =
display the kind of path SN  sees.   Incidentally, on my machine  doing =
2) causes the following output when PATH is executed:

PATH=3DC:/SN/H-I686-PC-CYGWIN/bin:C:/SN/H-I686-PC-CYGWIN/bin:C:\WINDOWS;C=
:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;C:\CYGWIN\BIN

As you can see from the above, SN seems to be using Unix style path spec =
for its own sub-path and appending it to the Windows path.  If you had =
the same path specification as above in a DOS comand shell, you would =
have no problem accessing rm , g++, or any other cygwin commands.   =
However, I think SN does some kind of parsing on the PATH and looses it! =
 Something for SN gurus to figure out.

The workaround I suggested above has a side-effect:  after the build is =
complete, you will have to press the  "Stop" button before you can do =
another build.

Hope this helps,

Pankaj