* feeding make window
@ 2001-03-19  8:43 Celia McInnis
From: Celia McInnis @ 2001-03-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

How do I feed info (eg., command and directory name) automatically (ie.,
from another program) to a make window? (Right now I have no problem
getting my application to open up a  SN make window, but I have not been
able to change the command and directory listed in the window).

Thanks.
Celia McInnis

* Re: feeding make window
@ 2001-03-20 13:22 ` Celia McInnis
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Celia McInnis @ 2001-03-20 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Celia McInnis wrote:

> How do I feed info (eg., command and directory name) automatically (ie.,
> from another program) to a make window? (Right now I have no problem
> getting my application to open up a  SN make window, but I have not been
> able to change the command and directory listed in the window).

I managed to answer my own question on this one. In case anyone else wants
to do this, here's how - put the following somewhere in your .sn/rc.tcl
file  to have the make window execute "cat $MyFileName":

    set appname [winfo name .]
    send $appname {set make [sn_make]; $make.make setmakecommand "cat
$MyFileName"; $make.make ExecMake}

Note that "sn_make.make" seems to fail - whereas $make.make succeeds when
$make is sn_make - I'm not sure why... If someone can tell me why, I'd be
grateful!

Celia McInnis

* Re: feeding make window
@ 2001-03-20 23:05   ` Chad Bryant
From: Chad Bryant @ 2001-03-20 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

UNSUBSCRIBE

> > How do I feed info (eg., command and directory name) automatically (ie.,
> > from another program) to a make window? (Right now I have no problem
> > getting my application to open up a  SN make window, but I have not been
> > able to change the command and directory listed in the window).
>
> I managed to answer my own question on this one. In case anyone else wants
> to do this, here's how - put the following somewhere in your .sn/rc.tcl
> file  to have the make window execute "cat $MyFileName":
>
>     set appname [winfo name .]
>     send $appname {set make [sn_make]; $make.make setmakecommand "cat
> $MyFileName"; $make.make ExecMake}
>
> Note that "sn_make.make" seems to fail - whereas $make.make succeeds when
> $make is sn_make - I'm not sure why... If someone can tell me why, I'd be
> grateful!
>
> Celia McInnis

* Re: feeding make window
@ 2001-03-23  1:20   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-03-23  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Celia McInnis wrote:

> Celia McInnis wrote:
>
> > How do I feed info (eg., command and directory name) automatically (ie.,
> > from another program) to a make window? (Right now I have no problem
> > getting my application to open up a  SN make window, but I have not been
> > able to change the command and directory listed in the window).
>
> I managed to answer my own question on this one. In case anyone else wants
> to do this, here's how - put the following somewhere in your .sn/rc.tcl
> file  to have the make window execute "cat $MyFileName":
>
>     set appname [winfo name .]
>     send $appname {set make [sn_make]; $make.make setmakecommand "cat
> $MyFileName"; $make.make ExecMake}
>
> Note that "sn_make.make" seems to fail - whereas $make.make succeeds when
> $make is sn_make - I'm not sure why... If someone can tell me why, I'd be
> grateful!

The sn_make command will return a unique window name.
The Window name is also the name of the Itcl object,
so that is why you call a method via [$window setmakecommand]
and at the same time are able to run [winfo exists $window]
or other Tk window commands with the name of the window.

Some good reading on this subject can be found here:

http://tcltk.com/itcl/
http://tcltk.com/itk/

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Commands in build window?
@ 2001-04-17  7:23   ` Celia McInnis
From: Celia McInnis @ 2001-04-17  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I have upgraded to SN 5.0 (on linux), and now am having trouble executing
commands from the make window.  I have been getting the following error:

    the Directory "" cannot be created.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Celia McInnis

* Re: Commands in build window?
@ 2001-04-17  8:59     ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-04-17  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmmcinn; +Cc: sourcenav

Celia McInnis wrote:

> I have upgraded to SN 5.0 (on linux), and now am having trouble executing
> commands from the make window.

I'll assume that you are running external makefiles or build system.

> I have been getting the following error:
>
>     the Directory "" cannot be created.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is a minor bug which isn't setting any default directory
for the Build Directory (actually, they all seems to have problems
with there default settings).

You can get around this by make sure that the "Build Targets"
combobox is set to "<External Makefile>", then you can enter
the directory which you wish to execute the build command in.

Ian,