* auto completion
       [not found] <987159756.5333.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>
@ 2001-04-13  4:13 ` David Capel
From: David Capel @ 2001-04-13  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Are there any plans to add tab-completion on symbol names in the editor,
along the lines of the Emacs "hippie-expand" packages? ( Or does this
feature already exist and I've missed it? ) I work with a set of C++
libraries which have some very long class/member/function names, and
this feature is indispensible.

Source Navigator is a great project. Keep up the good work!

David

* Re: auto completion
@ 2001-04-16 12:52   ` Richard F Weber
From: Richard F Weber @ 2001-04-16 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Capel; +Cc: sourcenav

Speaking of which, this brings up a small problem I conveniently ignored
when working on my parser.  Is there a way to search for symbols in a
given set of files?

For example, in Ada, you can "Use" a file (basically include it), and
then do a "with" to reduce the namespace.  This tends to make it tough
if you do a "Use pkg_a; with pkg_a" & "Use pkg_b; with pkg_b", and a
call is made to a function called "func1".  Which package do you
reference to?  How do you know if "func1" belongs to pkg_a or pkg_b?

I did find a routine called get_symbol, but I'm having a heck of a time
trying to figure out how to call it right, and what is necessary.  Is
there any other routine I can use to do quick queries like that against
the database, or will I have to dig into the DB_API to write my own?

This seems to tie right in because the editor could be set-up to analyze
on the fly which files are included in, and offer those symbols as
automatic completion for the end-user to use.

Thanks.

--Rich

David Capel wrote:

>Are there any plans to add tab-completion on symbol names in the editor,
>along the lines of the Emacs "hippie-expand" packages? ( Or does this
>feature already exist and I've missed it? ) I work with a set of C++
>libraries which have some very long class/member/function names, and
>this feature is indispensible.
>
>Source Navigator is a great project. Keep up the good work!
>
>David

* Re: auto completion
@ 2001-04-17  9:53   ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-04-17  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Capel; +Cc: sourcenav

David Capel wrote:

> Are there any plans to add tab-completion on symbol names in the editor,
> along the lines of the Emacs "hippie-expand" packages? ( Or does this
> feature already exist and I've missed it? ) I work with a set of C++
> libraries which have some very long class/member/function names, and
> this feature is indispensible.

I've been planning to add this for a while, but never seem to have
time to do this (I've been thinking about it for years...).

It will probably be added at some point, but I can't tell you when.
I don't think it would be too hard.  In fact it would probably be
a good starting point for somebody wanting to get involved with
SN development.

Until somebody gets time to implement it, we can start to spec
out the new features that we want.  Including additional preferences
to turn it on/off or change the mode, which keys to activate it,
cancel it, accept it, never do it for that symbol again, etc..

Ian.