* IBM AIX xompile problems
@ 2001-06-05  0:52 Avital, T. - SPLXV
From: Avital, T. - SPLXV @ 2001-06-05  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello everyone
I am trying to compile source navigator under AIX machine (ver. 4.3.2) and
after configure is running and  I try to use make I get a strange syntax
error - it has to b noted that I don't have gcc but IBM cc compiler and xlC
compiler.
I'm not good in Unix but I'm trying to do my best. As I spend 2 days trying
to find binaries for it in the internet without success (the only thing I
found is that there was some1 else who look for it and a replay that it was
compiled once under AIX).
Pls. any1 knows here how to do such a thing - I need help badly.

Thanks ahead
Tal

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.

* Re: IBM AIX xompile problems
@ 2001-06-05  1:02 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-06-05  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Avital, T. - SPLXV wrote:

> Hello everyone
> I am trying to compile source navigator under AIX machine (ver. 4.3.2) and
> after configure is running and  I try to use make I get a strange syntax
> error - it has to b noted that I don't have gcc but IBM cc compiler and xlC
> compiler.

It looks like Tcl/Tk and some of the other support libs have
been ported to AIX, but you may be in for a bit of hacking
to get it all working. It is not a platform we have done
any testing on recently. You might want to see if gcc is
available on your platform, it might save you some work.

> I'm not good in Unix but I'm trying to do my best. As I spend 2 days trying
> to find binaries for it in the internet without success (the only thing I
> found is that there was some1 else who look for it and a replay that it was
> compiled once under AIX).

We provide binaries for a few systems, but for the most part
you have to compile from source on the less widely used
systems.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: IBM AIX xompile problems
@ 2001-06-06 11:35 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-06-06 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avital, T. - SPLXV; +Cc: sourcenav

Hi,

AIX support (and a couple of others *nix) was dropped a while ago
(I think 2 years or something).

AIX is one of the more annoying forms of *nix to support and we
don't really have any plans to maintain and test an AIX version
(hey, if we have any AIX experts out there, we're taking patches).

Source-Navigator currently only able to compile with gcc and MSVC++.
If you are going to run SN on AIX, Step 1 is going to be getting
a working set of GNU tools, gcc, but also you probably want binutils
bash, make, sh, tar, etc..

Most of the AIX problems will probably come from setting up the build
environment. Step 2 will probably involve find some patches for
Tcl/Tk
(maybe Tix and Itcl also) to get it running on AIX.

One other thing: I wouldn't learn Unix on an AIX machine if you
can avoid it.  AIX was my first Unix and Unix development environment,
it's very non standard and quirky.

Otherwise, an AIX users who'd be kind enough to post a tar ball
somewhere?

Hope this helps,

   Ian.

"Avital, T. - SPLXV" wrote:

> Hi again
> A little bit of hacking??? As I said im dummy in Unix all I wish is to b
> able to have the source navigator on my unix and as I read b4 in the mailing
> list RedHat already compiled it once under AIX machine so y not to publish
> this binaries as well?? Is there anyplace which gives exact explanation of
> how to compile and which changes u have to do to b able to compile it under
> AIX without gcc - only with xlC compiler? I mean in the sense of step 1 do
> that step2 do that. This will b the easiest for me as I will have my Unix
> courses only later this year ;o( and I need it badly now
> Pls. help such miserable person like me
> Thanks
> Tal

* Re: IBM AIX xompile problems