* debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-20  5:24 webman
From: webman @ 2020-03-20  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello!

I am asking, if probably someone has a better solution
to install SystemTap right on Debian, then that, what
I read in stat-prep or the wiki.

I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
"sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
boxes, the "*-amd64-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
of my experience (for the next years .).

I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
looks like a big PITA for me.

Astoundingly, simple scripts
run on Buster (Systemtap 4.0, linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64-dbg), but
not on Stretch (Systemtap 3.1, linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64-dbg),
which I cannot upgrade in the near future.

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

(Second attempt - first mail didnt arrive on the list).

* debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap
@ 2020-03-13  1:10 webman
From: webman @ 2020-03-13  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello!

I am asking, if probably someone has a better solution
to install SystemTap right on Debian, then that, what
I read in stat-prep or the wiki.

I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
"sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
boxes, the "-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
of my experience (for the next years .).

I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
looks like a big PITA for me.

Astoundingly, simple scripts run on Buster, but not
on Stretch (which I cannot upgrade in the near future).

Thanks anyway,
Manfred