public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Updated awls game
@ 2004-07-15 19:28 Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-07-15 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

A new version of Elijah Meeks' awls game has been checked in.

Hans

* Re: Updated awls game
@ 2004-07-16  1:34 ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-07-16  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

This one includes quite a few new features, most
significantly the itroduction of Carrier Air Wings.
To get the XConq AI to use them properly, there are a
few caveats:

-You can't unload a Carrier Air Wing.  If it's
allowed, the Nimitz invariably leaves its wing on some
island in the middle of nowhere.

-Carriers still have an attack, with 100% accuracy,
but it only causes 2 points of damage and it cannot
destroy a unit.  This way the AI still uses them
aggressively, even though it's the Carrier Air Wing
that's really doing all the damage.

-Carriers take 75% of all hits, regardless of the
attack.  So, yes, you may fire a torpedo at a carrier
and somehow end with the only casualties being a
squadron of F-18s.

Other additions include a change to the standard
option, which defaults to 'No Japan'.  This gives
South Korea a Military Aid unit, which can produce Air
Wings, and provides it with bonus points every turn.
Neither Japan nor China use transports like they
should, but since China shares a land border with
North Korea, it's less apparent than Japan's lack of
influence (Beyond naval) on the game.

China, I discovered, has a handful of nuclear attack
subs in the water (Han class) as well as a new class
that should be sailing by the time of the game.  As it
stands, I only added one Nuclear Sub to the Chinese
player's side, just because there isn't currently a
sub tech-tree.  I suppose this means there soon will
be.

Everything else is roughly the same.  North Korea lost
a city and all the cities on the Korean peninsula are
now named.  I'd love to get feedback on it, if anyone
gets the chance.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail