public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks@yahoo.com>
To: Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>,
	Xconq list <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: First stable version of improved ai_plan_research
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:30:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> A perfect AI would also have the following abilities
> for selecting
> advances, all of which are (as far as I can tell)
> impossible to
> implement in its current form:

You could add GDL support for this by letting the
Designers write weighted tables.  Then someone could
define "Air Focused", "Space Focused", "Ground
Focused" and "Magic Focused" as each having different
values for the various techs and units (These same
values being integrated into the previously
brainstormed AI build recommendation tables) and each
could be randomly assigned per side (Or selected from
the side selection list, with a column next to the AI
column).

It would still be useful to have an
advance-precludes-advance table, in those cases when
two advances are actually in opposition to each other.
 The two examples I can think of off the top of my
head are the different styles of Magic in Opal (You
shouldn't be able to research both Life and Death
magic, or Sorcery and Chaos) and when the advances
represent different ways to implement a new technology
(So that, instead of having a "3rd Generation Tank"
tech, you have a "No-Frills 3rd Generation Tank",
"Typical 3rd Generation Tank" and a "Cutting Edge 3rd
Generation Tank") so that different sides end up
fielding similar but different vehicles (All of which,
after finding whichever tech they chose, can then
research 4th Generation Tank techs).

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail