public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Regarding gameplay
@ 2004-08-25  2:39 tsbvc
From: tsbvc @ 2004-08-25  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I've read the mailing list archives occasionally for a few months but only subscribed just now.  Most of the discussion here is development-related, so I thought I'd ask everyone a couple of questions about regular gameplay.

1) What are some of your preferred strategies (for the standard module)?

My general strategy is all-out offense, which usually succeeds against the AI.  If I have more than a couple of any unit in my home territory, the extras will get sent to attack.

As for more specific tactics, I use airdropped infantry to build at least one base per unoccupied island so that I can send planes across the globe without having to complete a carrier.  If I come across a one or two-hex island consisting of swamp, and there is absolutely no other land nearby, I might build a base there and deliver supplies via destroyers or troop transports.

2) Do you play any semi-regular net games?

I don't know anyone else who plays xconq, and my attempts to get a few friends hooked on it proved futile.  From what I read on the list, the network code is pretty stable now.  Are there any regular internet players out there?

-Tom

* Re: Regarding gameplay
@ 2004-08-25  3:01 ` Robert Goulding
From: Robert Goulding @ 2004-08-25  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsbvc; +Cc: xconq7

> I've read the mailing list archives occasionally for a few months but only
subscribed just now.  Most of the discussion here is development-related, so
I thought I'd ask everyone a couple of questions about regular gameplay.

> 1) What are some of your preferred strategies (for the standard module)?
>
> My general strategy is all-out offense, which usually succeeds against the
AI.  If I have more than a couple of any unit in my home territory, the
extras will get sent to attack.

After winning a few standard games - some of them against several AI
opponents with advantages cranked up - I'm beginning to find the 'non-human'
game a little dull.  I find that I am almost guaranteed to win if I build
dozens of bombers and send them out in wave after wave; and a couple of
battleships on the enemy shore can simply flatten city after city.  I spend
a lot of time setting up defenses for my cities, but the land invasion never
comes, and the AI never seems to try a concerted bomber/battleship attack
which might make the game interesting.

> As for more specific tactics, I use airdropped infantry to build at least
one base per unoccupied island so that I can send planes across the globe
without having to complete a carrier.  If I come across a one or two-hex
island consisting of swamp, and there is absolutely no other land nearby, I
might build a base there and deliver supplies via destroyers or troop
transports.

> 2) Do you play any semi-regular net games?
>
> I don't know anyone else who plays xconq, and my attempts to get a few
friends hooked on it proved futile.  From what I read on the list, the
network code is pretty stable now.  Are there any regular internet players
out there?

I don't, but I wish I did.  It would be much more fun to play against a real
player.

Robert.

> -Tom

* Re: Regarding gameplay
@ 2004-08-25  3:04 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-08-25  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsbvc; +Cc: xconq7

tsbvc@tds.net wrote:

> I've read the mailing list archives occasionally for a few months but only subscribed just now.
> Most of the discussion here is development-related, so I thought I'd ask everyone a couple of questions about
> regular gameplay.

Welcome to the list. In addition to developer-related discussion, this
list can be used for setting up games between players and discussing
strategy. Probably if more such discussion happened, more players might
come out of the woodwork....

> 2) Do you play any semi-regular net games?

I am not aware of any regular or semi-regular net games, but, if you got
something like that going, I think there would be some lonely human
players out there who would oblige.

If I wasn't busy writing code and developing game modules, and if my
mind hadn't been "unsharpened" by too many play-testing sessions against
the AI, I would consider joining in a few.

Regards,
	Eric