public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks@yahoo.com>
Cc: xconq7 <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>,  xconq-general@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Xconq-general] Xconq Ranking at Sourceforge
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:50:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Elijah Meeks wrote:

> Though I'm extremely proud of this, I wonder if it's a
> glitch.

It could be. Sourceforge has said that they are experiencing some
problems with the rankings system. However, take Bochs for example;
although they outclass us in page views and downloads, their tracker
activity is relatively low. Tracker activity is factored into the rankings.

>I'd like to see the system sf.net uses to
> determine percentile.

To quote Sourceforge docs:

"The current project rankings formula is as follows:

log (3 * # of forum posts for that week) + log (4 * # of tasks ftw) +
log (3 * # bugs ftw) + log (10 * patches ftw) + log (5 * tracker items
ftw) + log (# commits to CVS ftw) + log (5 * # file releases ftw) + log
(.3 * # downloads ftw)"

As you can see, downloads are dropped to 3/10 of their value, but
tracker items are multiplied by 5 and patches by 10. Since logs
(presumably base-10) are being taken, an order of magnitude will only
vary by 1. If Bochs' downloads are 100 times more than ours, their score
only gains 2 over ours. By contrast, we had 3 patches in the past week,
and 3*10 = 30, so our score gained 1.x for that. Plus, we had 3 new
tasks, so our score gained 1.y for that. So, with those two terms alone
we could hypothetically close the gap.

That said, and as I have mentioned to you in private email, I do not
suspect that this is sustainable. And, I am more interested in
developing a good game than in getting good rankings on SF. Things will
continue to fluctuate, probably wildly. Next week, we could be back to
hanging out around 400 or 500 again. Big deal. Development continues.

I only mentioned the ranking yesterday because I think it reflects well
on our project; tracker activity indicates vitality (but not necessarily
popularity).

Eric