public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: Xconq list <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>,
	 xconq-developers@lists.sourceforge.net,
	 xconq-general@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Developer release of knightmare.g
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/knightmare.g

I noticed a couple of typos when I was reading through it. I believe
"benevolent" was spelled as "beneavolent" in one place. I have not
forgotten the other typo.

But, wow. It is much bigger than last time I looked at it. I am glad to
see that the 20 levels of knights are still intact though, since the
progression through combat experience is part of what made the original
'knights.g' appealing to me.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to playtest it soon.

> A few Xconq bugs that I uncovered while developing this module (all of
> them have been posted at SourceForge):
>
> * When a city or temple upgrades by changing type, the new type has a
> longer reach than the old type.  However, the reach of the unit is
> unchanged.  This drastically slows their growth.
>
> * When a change-type occurs, the affected unit seems to lose materials
> in the process.  Although with the supply and economy systems in place,
> this bug may be hard to pin down.

Both of these are likely easy to fix. However, it would be quite helpful
to have a saved game demonstrating them.

> By protracting life, we do not deduct one jot from the duration of death.
> 		-- Titus Lucretius Carus

I see the Romans thought about mathematical cardinality.

Eric