public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Save/restore of network games now possible
@ 2003-12-01  1:52 Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-12-01  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I have checked in code that makes it possible to save and restore Xconq
network games with two or several players, including AIs. Here is how it
works:

1. The master saves the game.
2. The master emails it to all clients.
3. Everybody puts the saved game in the lib folder.
4. The master hosts a new game.
5. When everybody has connected, he opens the saved game.

If there are less players than in the original game, they will be replaced
by AIs. If there are more human players, they will take the place of any
extra AI players, if available.

I plan to make saving automatic on the clients when the master saves his
game so that we can do without emails. The restriction that saved games
have to be in the lib folder will be removed when we have a default
location for them on all platforms, something that I am working on.

Hans

P.S. Since we still have desync problems with the standard game (and in
fact any game with more than one continent) I recommend that you test this
on the advances game.

* Re: Save/restore of network games now possible
@ 2003-12-01 22:14 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-12-01 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

>I have checked in code that makes it possible to save and restore Xconq
>network games with two or several players, including AIs. Here is how it
>works:
>
>1. The master saves the game.
>2. The master emails it to all clients.
>3. Everybody puts the saved game in the lib folder.
>4. The master hosts a new game.
>5. When everybody has connected, he opens the saved game.

In fact, a client can also save the game, and anybody can become the new
master by hosting the next round. The important thing is that everybody use
the same saved game file and that it is in the same location (the lib
folder) on all computers.

If you end up with different sides assigned compared to the original game,
just use the Exchange button to reorder the side/player list. Sides are
assigned in the order that clients connect to the new game.

Hans