public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-11 22:12 Robert Goulding
From: Robert Goulding @ 2004-06-11 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Is it possible to build the CVS for OSX using only the Apple
Development Tools - i.e., do I need CodeWarrior?

Robert.

--
Robert Goulding
Program in History and Philosophy of Science

* Re: Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-11 22:52 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-06-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goulding; +Cc: xconq7

>Is it possible to build the CVS for OSX using only the Apple
>Development Tools - i.e., do I need CodeWarrior?

It should be possible. It was Stan who did the basic carbonization of xconq
back in 2002, and I'm almost sure he used the Apple Tools. He even created
a Project Builder folder in the CVS sources, though he never checked
anything into it.

Hans

* Re: Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-11 23:07   ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2004-06-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: Robert Goulding, xconq7

Hans Ronne wrote:

>>Is it possible to build the CVS for OSX using only the Apple
>>Development Tools - i.e., do I need CodeWarrior?
>>

>It should be possible. It was Stan who did the basic carbonization of xconq
>back in 2002, and I'm almost sure he used the Apple Tools. He even created
>a Project Builder folder in the CVS sources, though he never checked
>anything into it.

Oh yeah, forgot about it. I guess it'll have to be an Xcode project
now. And yes, what I got working was with Apple's tools - have to get
ptomaine poisoning in one's own restaurant and all that. :-)

Stan

* Re: Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-12  2:01     ` Robert Goulding
From: Robert Goulding @ 2004-06-12  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs, Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

> >>Is it possible to build the CVS for OSX using only the Apple
> >>Development Tools - i.e., do I need CodeWarrior?
> >>

> >It should be possible. It was Stan who did the basic carbonization of
xconq
> >back in 2002, and I'm almost sure he used the Apple Tools. He even
created
> >a Project Builder folder in the CVS sources, though he never checked
> >anything into it.
> >
> Oh yeah, forgot about it. I guess it'll have to be an Xcode project
> now. And yes, what I got working was with Apple's tools - have to get
> ptomaine poisoning in one's own restaurant and all that. :-)

So the Carbon build available from the webpage is done with .. what?  Sorry
to be dim; I've only recently changed from Linux to Mac OSX, so my only
experience of compilation is configure - make; but when I try this on the
CVS code, it gets hung-up when linking to the tcl libraries.  (Sorry can't
be more specific; I'm away from my Mac).  Are there any tips for getting a
Carbonised app to compile using straightforward configure and make, and gcc
etc?

Robert.

* Re: Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-12  2:17       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-06-12  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goulding; +Cc: Stan Shebs, Hans Ronne, xconq7

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 20:01, Robert Goulding wrote:

> So the Carbon build available from the webpage is done with .. what?

Hans uses CodeWarrior for all of his builds, I think. And he is the one
who created all the Mac stuff on the downloads page.

> Sorry
> to be dim; I've only recently changed from Linux to Mac OSX, so my only
> experience of compilation is configure - make; but when I try this on the
> CVS code, it gets hung-up when linking to the tcl libraries.  (Sorry can't
> be more specific; I'm away from my Mac).

Please let me know what the exact problem is, when you can. I would like
to try to patch 'aclocal.m4' so that configure will do the right thing
with the Tcl configuration variables on the Mac. I don't have a modern
(or even semi-modern) Mac so I can't test the changes myself.

>  Are there any tips for getting a
> Carbonised app to compile using straightforward configure and make, and gcc
> etc?

I think you are blazing the trail.

Eric

* Re: Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-12  2:40         ` Robert Goulding
From: Robert Goulding @ 2004-06-12  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: Stan Shebs, Hans Ronne, xconq7

> > Sorry
> > to be dim; I've only recently changed from Linux to Mac OSX, so my only
> > experience of compilation is configure - make; but when I try this on
the
> > CVS code, it gets hung-up when linking to the tcl libraries.  (Sorry
can't
> > be more specific; I'm away from my Mac).
>
> Please let me know what the exact problem is, when you can. I would like
> to try to patch 'aclocal.m4' so that configure will do the right thing
> with the Tcl configuration variables on the Mac. I don't have a modern
> (or even semi-modern) Mac so I can't test the changes myself.

OK, will do - I'm off on vacation this weekend, but will send info to you
(off-list) when I get a chance.

> >  Are there any tips for getting a
> > Carbonised app to compile using straightforward configure and make, and
gcc
> > etc?
>
> I think you are blazing the trail.

Not a comforting thought, but pleased to be of whatever service I can...

Robert.

* Re: Building for OSX
@ 2004-06-12  8:59       ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-06-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goulding; +Cc: xconq7

>So the Carbon build available from the webpage is done with .. what?  Sorry
>to be dim; I've only recently changed from Linux to Mac OSX, so my only
>experience of compilation is configure - make; but when I try this on the
>CVS code, it gets hung-up when linking to the tcl libraries.  (Sorry can't
>be more specific; I'm away from my Mac).  Are there any tips for getting a
>Carbonised app to compile using straightforward configure and make, and gcc
>etc?

The makefiles etc. do not support building of the MacOS apps. So what you
are trying to do would not work. All MacOS targeted builds on the web page
were made with CodeWarrior, which does not use makefiles at all. Since I
don't use the Apple Dev Tools myself, I can't tell you how to set things up
to build xconq with them. You'll have to ask Stan about that.

Hans