* make check failures with binutils-2.17
@ 2006-07-03 21:17 Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2006-07-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

with the new release, i ran make check against the Gentoo supported targets
and was a little surprised by my results ... wondering if anyone can
corroborate these or if my systems just blow ;)

tested on a G5 and an amd64 machine, vanilla binutils-2.17 of course

cross compile targets that failed:
alpha-linux-gnu
armeb-linux-gnu
avr
hppa-linux-gnu
hppa64-linux-gnu
mips64-linux-gnu
mips64el-linux-gnu
-mike

* Re: make check failures with binutils-2.17
@ 2006-07-06  9:24 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2006-07-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mike,

> cross compile targets that failed:
> alpha-linux-gnu
> armeb-linux-gnu
> avr
> hppa-linux-gnu
> hppa64-linux-gnu
> mips64-linux-gnu
> mips64el-linux-gnu

Failed to build ?  Failed to run ?  Failed to produce correct output ?

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: make check failures with binutils-2.17
@ 2006-07-06 19:03   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2006-07-06 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils

On Thursday 06 July 2006 05:24, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> > cross compile targets that failed:
> > alpha-linux-gnu
> > armeb-linux-gnu
> > avr
> > hppa-linux-gnu
> > hppa64-linux-gnu
> > mips64-linux-gnu
> > mips64el-linux-gnu
>
> Failed to build ?  Failed to run ?  Failed to produce correct output ?

well, i said in the subject, failed `make check` ... but i miss reading the
subject myself so i should have included it in the body, sorry
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 827 bytes --]

* Re: make check failures with binutils-2.17
@ 2006-07-06 20:31     ` Thiemo Seufer
From: Thiemo Seufer @ 2006-07-06 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: Nick Clifton, binutils

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 06 July 2006 05:24, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > > cross compile targets that failed:
> > > alpha-linux-gnu
> > > armeb-linux-gnu
> > > avr
> > > hppa-linux-gnu
> > > hppa64-linux-gnu
> > > mips64-linux-gnu
> > > mips64el-linux-gnu
> >
> > Failed to build ?  Failed to run ?  Failed to produce correct output ?
>
> well, i said in the subject, failed `make check` ... but i miss reading the
> subject myself so i should have included it in the body, sorry

Err, _which_ tests did FAIL, for what part of binutils, on what platform?
A "something failed somewhere" doesn't really help.

Thiemo

* Re: make check failures with binutils-2.17
@ 2006-07-06 22:15       ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2006-07-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiemo Seufer; +Cc: Nick Clifton, binutils

On Thursday 06 July 2006 16:31, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Err, _which_ tests did FAIL, for what part of binutils

the point wasnt to drill down and review the tests (yet) ... i wanted to
verify my results werent screwed up

> , on what platform?

i said, i tested on ppc/amd64 linux hosts cross-compiling for the
aforementioned targets

> A "something failed somewhere" doesn't really help.

considering how hard it is to run `make check` i dont think it matters ...
here, lemme give you some copy & paste code:
tar xf binutils-2.17.tar.bz2
cd binutils-2.17
mkdir build
cd build
../configure --target=alpha-linux-gnu
make
make check

if yours passes `make check` then i simply assume my hosts are hosed and move
on

@ 2006-07-07  9:22 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2006-07-07  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: binutils

Hi Mike,

> cross compile targets that failed:
> alpha-linux-gnu
> armeb-linux-gnu
> avr

Do you mean "avr-elf" here ?

> hppa-linux-gnu
> hppa64-linux-gnu
> mips64-linux-gnu
> mips64el-linux-gnu

Do all these targets fail in the same way ?

Were you able to build other targets that do not fail the make check ?

Anyway to answer your question, I do not have access to a ppc machine,
but I do have an amd64 machine (running a 64-bit OS) and on that machine
I get these results:

The alpha-linux-gnu toolchain fails the LD check with:

  FAIL: TLS -fpic -shared
  FAIL: TLS -fpic and -fno-pic exec
  FAIL: TLS -fpic and -fno-pic exec -relax
  FAIL: ld-elf/64ksec

The armeb-linux-gnu toolchain fails the GAS check with:

  FAIL: Unwind table generation

The avr-elf toolchain fails the GAS check with:

  FAIL: lns-common-1

The hppa-linux-gnu and hppa64-linux-gnu toolchains fail the GAS check with:

  XPASS: Check min/max values for .block

The mips64-linux-gnu and mips64el-linux-gnu toolchains fail the LD check
with:

  FAIL: ld-elf/orphan2
  FAIL: ld-mips-elf/reloc-1-n64
  FAIL: MIPS eh-frame 1, n32
  FAIL: MIPS eh-frame 1, n64
  FAIL: MIPS eh-frame 2, n32
  FAIL: MIPS eh-frame 2, n64

Does this match your own findings ?

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: make check failures with binutils-2.17
@ 2006-07-07 18:22   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2006-07-07 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: binutils