* avr-objdump with instruction clock cycles
@ 2023-07-07 13:49 SO6AGJ so6agj
From: SO6AGJ so6agj @ 2023-07-07 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils

I am a Polish software developer and radio amateur and I am writing to you
in regard to the binutils objdump binary tool.
Since I have been doing C language development for many years, is there any
plan to introduce disassembler's machine code instruction information
including the amount of clock cycles needed to execute?
I have written a PHP script to analyze .lss files for AVR, however it seems
the feature I mentioned above could be implemented in binutils.
You can read more about me on my websites, links below.

I look forward to hearing from you.
SIncerely yours,

Jakub
http://so6agj.epizy.com
http://thewowsignal.epizy.com

* Re: avr-objdump with instruction clock cycles
@ 2023-07-18 15:04 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2023-07-18 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SO6AGJ so6agj, binutils

Hi Jakub,

> I am a Polish software developer and radio amateur and I am writing to you
> in regard to the binutils objdump binary tool.

Thank you for your interest in the binutils.

> Since I have been doing C language development for many years, is there any
> plan to introduce disassembler's machine code instruction information
> including the amount of clock cycles needed to execute?

No.  But it could be added.  Although it would have to be architecture
specific, and it may not be that useful since on many architectures the
number of clock cycles taken by an instruction depends upon a variety of
factors, not just the instruction itself.

If you are interested in writing a patch for the binutils that implements
such a feature we would be happy to review it - and answer questions you
may have about how to do it.

Cheers
   Nick