public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Keep calm
@ 2016-03-15 22:35 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-03-15 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've disabled upset (the perl script on sourceware.org, which performs
the task of composing setup.ini from setup.hints and moving uploads),
and enabled calm (a re-write from scratch to perform these tasks).  This
is a test and may be reverted if things aren't working correctly.

Package maintainers may notice a few differences:

* Package maintainers no longer receive emails about everyone's uploads,
only their own.

There is a list of addressees who receive emails about all packages, so
if you wish to continue to receive those, please let me know and I'll
add you to the list. :)

* Validation of the uploaded package and setup.hint is now much stricter

Many problematic usages which were silently ignored, or permitted and
required manual intervention to fix, are now reported.

* Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-16  6:43 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-03-16  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon Turney writes:
> I've disabled upset (the perl script on sourceware.org, which performs
> the task of composing setup.ini from setup.hints and moving uploads),
> and enabled calm (a re-write from scratch to perform these tasks).

The access rights on the setup.ini file are borked.  Can you please fix
them?

lftp ftp.cygwin.com:/pub/cygwin/x86> dir
drwxrwsr-x   3 ftp      ftp          4096 Mar 15 21:44 .
drwxrwsr-x   5 ftp      ftp          4096 Feb 11 14:12 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp           229 Mar 15 22:14 md5.sum
drwxrwsr-x 3403 ftp      ftp        155648 Mar 15 13:40 release
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      ftp       2158364 Mar 15 21:27 setup.bz2
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      ftp            72 Mar 15 21:27 setup.bz2.sig
-rw-------   1 ftp      ftp       8229897 Mar 15 21:26 setup.ini
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      ftp            72 Mar 15 21:27 setup.ini.sig
-rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp           706 Mar 15 22:14 sha512.sum

Also, it would be really cool if setup.xz files were finally made
available (the best compression option in my experience is -6e).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-16 18:30   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-03-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16/03/2016 06:43, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Jon Turney writes:
>> I've disabled upset (the perl script on sourceware.org, which performs
>> the task of composing setup.ini from setup.hints and moving uploads),
>> and enabled calm (a re-write from scratch to perform these tasks).
>
> The access rights on the setup.ini file are borked.  Can you please fix
> them?

This was fixed by sourceware pixies.  I've updated the script to avoid a
re-occurrence.

> Also, it would be really cool if setup.xz files were finally made
> available (the best compression option in my experience is -6e).

This is something I want to look at, once the initial problems have been
sorted out.

* Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-16 23:51 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-03-16 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2016-03-15 17:34, Jon Turney wrote:
> I've disabled upset (the perl script on sourceware.org, which performs
> the task of composing setup.ini from setup.hints and moving uploads),
> and enabled calm (a re-write from scratch to perform these tasks).  This
> is a test and may be reverted if things aren't working correctly.
>
> Package maintainers may notice a few differences:
>
> * Package maintainers no longer receive emails about everyone's uploads,
> only their own.
>
> There is a list of addressees who receive emails about all packages, so
> if you wish to continue to receive those, please let me know and I'll
> add you to the list. :)
>
> * Validation of the uploaded package and setup.hint is now much stricter
>
> Many problematic usages which were silently ignored, or permitted and
> required manual intervention to fix, are now reported.

I honestly never thought we would get off of upset.  This is incredible,
thank you!

Corinna, certainly this deserves more than just a gold star?

--
Yaakov

* [PLUSH HIPPO and GOLDSTAR] Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-17  7:53   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-03-17  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 16 18:51, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2016-03-15 17:34, Jon Turney wrote:
> >I've disabled upset (the perl script on sourceware.org, which performs
> >the task of composing setup.ini from setup.hints and moving uploads),
> >and enabled calm (a re-write from scratch to perform these tasks).  This
> >is a test and may be reverted if things aren't working correctly.
> >
> >Package maintainers may notice a few differences:
> >
> >* Package maintainers no longer receive emails about everyone's uploads,
> >only their own.
> >
> >There is a list of addressees who receive emails about all packages, so
> >if you wish to continue to receive those, please let me know and I'll
> >add you to the list. :)
> >
> >* Validation of the uploaded package and setup.hint is now much stricter
> >
> >Many problematic usages which were silently ignored, or permitted and
> >required manual intervention to fix, are now reported.
>
> I honestly never thought we would get off of upset.  This is incredible,
> thank you!
>
> Corinna, certainly this deserves more than just a gold star?

Absolutely!  I already asked Jon yesterday to make room for a
PLUSH HIPPO on his shelf, and I'd like to add another GOLDSTAR
for this.

Thanks a lot, Jon, well deserved, even if calm is written in python :)

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [PLUSH HIPPO and GOLDSTAR] Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-17 13:46     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2016-03-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> > >Many problematic usages which were silently ignored, or permitted and
> > >required manual intervention to fix, are now reported.
> >
> > I honestly never thought we would get off of upset.  This is incredible,
> > thank you!
> >
> > Corinna, certainly this deserves more than just a gold star?
>
> Absolutely!  I already asked Jon yesterday to make room for a
> PLUSH HIPPO on his shelf, and I'd like to add another GOLDSTAR
> for this.
>
> Thanks a lot, Jon, well deserved, even if calm is written in python :)
>

> Corinna

update my script for different award types in one award mumble unprecedented
mumble

Awarded!  https://cygwin.com/goldstars/#JTy

* Re: [PLUSH HIPPO and GOLDSTAR] Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-17 14:05       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-03-17 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 17 09:46, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> > > I honestly never thought we would get off of upset.  This is incredible,
> > > thank you!
> > >
> > > Corinna, certainly this deserves more than just a gold star?
> >
> > Absolutely!  I already asked Jon yesterday to make room for a
> > PLUSH HIPPO on his shelf, and I'd like to add another GOLDSTAR
> > for this.
> >
> > Thanks a lot, Jon, well deserved, even if calm is written in python :)
> >

> > Corinna
>
> update my script for different award types in one award mumble unprecedented
> mumble

Excellent.  This deserves a goldstar for rising to a mumble
unprecedented mumble challenge :)

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-03-29 18:19     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-03-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16/03/2016 18:29, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 16/03/2016 06:43, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Jon Turney writes:
>>> I've disabled upset (the perl script on sourceware.org, which performs
>>> the task of composing setup.ini from setup.hints and moving uploads),
>>> and enabled calm (a re-write from scratch to perform these tasks).
>>
>> The access rights on the setup.ini file are borked.  Can you please fix
>> them?
>
> This was fixed by sourceware pixies.  I've updated the script to avoid a
> re-occurrence.
>
>> Also, it would be really cool if setup.xz files were finally made
>> available (the best compression option in my experience is -6e).
>
> This is something I want to look at, once the initial problems have been
> sorted out.

An .xz compressed setup.ini is now written as well.

* Re: Keep calm
@ 2016-04-01 19:10       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-04-01 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon Turney writes:
>>> Also, it would be really cool if setup.xz files were finally made
>>> available (the best compression option in my experience is -6e).
>>
>> This is something I want to look at, once the initial problems have been
>> sorted out.
>
> An .xz compressed setup.ini is now written as well.

Marvellous.

What's that setup.ini.bak file doing there?

Also, given that we're unlikely to go back to upset, could the
release/!always_ready cookie be removed as well?

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: