public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: cygport test has zero exit status on failures
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:36:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Jason Pyeron writes:
> What is the historic rationale behind the "OR true" after the make
> check?

Not historic for the most part, I'd say.  Cygport can also do
cross-builds of packages and in those cases the tests will seldomly work
(at all or at least partly) unless upstream walked the extra mile.
Also, due to ATWIL syndrome and other factors, Cygwin is often not
explicitly considered a target platform or (even then) treated wrongly
in different ways, so even when building natively you will encounter
your fair share of spurious test fails.

> It seems silly to have to redefine src_test() as {
>         cd ${B}
>         make check
> }, just to have a failure exit code if the test fail.

It would be equally silly the other way around in a different set of
circumstances.  But yes, making this configurable might be useful, but
this should then be done in the local configuration, not in the cygport
file.

Regards,
Achim.