public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-01 20:00 Achim Gratz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.  I've skipped
5.34 in order to update only every second year (which I've done since
the 5.22 release).  I haven't seen any trouble in my own Perl
distribution packages from the update even though there are lots of
them that haven't been updated since at least 5.22.  So I hope it will
be smooth sailing for anything else depending on Perl also.

Any maintainer having packages that depend on perl5_032 should
re-release or upgrade these soon-ish after the Perl update is available,
as otherwise users are either blocked from upgrading Perl or will have
to uninstall the affected packages.  The rebuilt packages need to have a
dependency on perl5_036, which cygport provides automatically.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-01 20:28 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2023-05-01 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 01.05.2023 22:00, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.  I've skipped
> 5.34 in order to update only every second year (which I've done since
> the 5.22 release).  I haven't seen any trouble in my own Perl
> distribution packages from the update even though there are lots of
> them that haven't been updated since at least 5.22.  So I hope it will
> be smooth sailing for anything else depending on Perl also.
>
> Any maintainer having packages that depend on perl5_032 should
> re-release or upgrade these soon-ish after the Perl update is available,
> as otherwise users are either blocked from upgrading Perl or will have
> to uninstall the affected packages.  The rebuilt packages need to have a
> dependency on perl5_036, which cygport provides automatically.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

are you planning to upload 5.36.1 as test ?

I will be on the road for 2 weeks in May and I will not be able to
update any package starting from 8th May

Regards
Marco

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-02  6:36   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-05-02  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> are you planning to upload 5.36.1 as test ?

No.

> I will be on the road for 2 weeks in May and I will not be able to
> update any package starting from 8th May

I need to check another few hundred build logs this evening, then the
release should be good to go.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-02 19:47 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.

Done.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-02 20:34 ` Jon Turney
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-02 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 01/05/2023 21:00, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.  I've skipped
> 5.34 in order to update only every second year (which I've done since
> the 5.22 release).  I haven't seen any trouble in my own Perl
> distribution packages from the update even though there are lots of
> them that haven't been updated since at least 5.22.  So I hope it will
> be smooth sailing for anything else depending on Perl also.
>
> Any maintainer having packages that depend on perl5_032 should
> re-release or upgrade these soon-ish after the Perl update is available,
> as otherwise users are either blocked from upgrading Perl or will have
> to uninstall the affected packages.  The rebuilt packages need to have a
> dependency on perl5_036, which cygport provides automatically.

There's an updated report available [1], which should list the affected
packages.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-02 20:45   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-02 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the
> affected packages.
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html

Thanks.  The newly obsolated packages (due to core now recent enough)
are still shown in this list (that's probably to be expected).  The rest
looks like I expected.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-03 12:19     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-05-03 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 5/2/2023 4:45 PM, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the
>> affected packages.
>>
>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html
>
> Thanks.  The newly obsolated packages (due to core now recent enough)
> are still shown in this list (that's probably to be expected).

I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new
Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport, setup
wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).  Or maybe
there's something else causing perl 5.32 to be chosen, but I don't see it.

Ken

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-03 13:33       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-03 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin-apps

On 03/05/2023 13:19, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 5/2/2023 4:45 PM, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
>>> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the
>>> affected packages.
>>>
>>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html
>>
>> Thanks.  The newly obsolated packages (due to core now recent enough)
>> are still shown in this list (that's probably to be expected).

Ah, right.  That's probably a flaw in the logic used to generate this
report, packages which are obsoleted by something else can just be ignored.

> I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new
> Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport, setup
> wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).  Or maybe
> there's something else causing perl 5.32 to be chosen, but I don't see it.

Yeah, there's something weird going on there:

Just adding just perl 5.36 to base seems to work fine.

Adding cygport, pulls in automake-{12,13,14}, which depend on perl-Carp
or perl-Test-Harness. I'm not sure why the solver then goes on to choose
those packages, rather than perl_base which obsoletes them.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-03 14:47         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-05-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 5/3/2023 9:33 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 03/05/2023 13:19, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new
>> Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport,
>> setup wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).
>> Or maybe there's something else causing perl 5.32 to be chosen, but I
>> don't see it.
>
> Yeah, there's something weird going on there:
>
> Just adding just perl 5.36 to base seems to work fine.
>
> Adding cygport, pulls in automake-{12,13,14}, which depend on perl-Carp
> or perl-Test-Harness. I'm not sure why the solver then goes on to choose
> those packages, rather than perl_base which obsoletes them.

Could we work around the problem by removing the dependency of the
obsolete packages on perl5_032?

Ken

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-03 16:51           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Could we work around the problem by removing the dependency of the
> obsolete packages on perl5_032?

Please don't.  I'll update automake soon.

Achim.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-03 16:55         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Just adding just perl 5.36 to base seems to work fine.
>
> Adding cygport, pulls in automake-{12,13,14}, which depend on
> perl-Carp or perl-Test-Harness. I'm not sure why the solver then goes
> on to choose those packages, rather than perl_base which obsoletes
> them.

You may need to tell libsolv to reconsider the information it has based
on the chosen (default) solution.  THe solution it currently offers is
correct with both the intial information and the one after the solution
has been found, so there is no need for a satisfability solver to
continue.  If you were to use zypper you'd see several more solutions
offered and it can be quite hard to figure out without trying which one
is going to cause the least amount of changes.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-03 18:41             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Could we work around the problem by removing the dependency of the
>> obsolete packages on perl5_032?
>
> Please don't.  I'll update automake soon.

Wait… these packages are not supposed to be dependent on the perl5_0xy
provides, the only Perl dependency should indeed be perl_base since no
version dependency is present.  Did the extra dependency on perl5_032
get auto-generated at some point?  Then please remove it from the hints.

I'll probably need to update the automake packages anyway since they
don't cleanly build anymore due to some changes in where the upstream
patches are.

@ 2023-05-03 22:01       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-05-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 5/3/2023 8:19 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new
> Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport, setup
> wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).

I just tried a second experiment (with a new installation).  I chose
base plus perl-Test-Harness.  Setup didn't report any problems; it
simply added perl 5.32, and I let it complete the installation.  I then
ran setup again, and the Pending view of the Select Packages page showed
perl being upgraded to 5.36 and perl-Test-Harness being uninstalled.

So setup ended up doing the right thing with respect to the obsolete
package, but it needed two passes.

Finally, I reran setup and chose cygport for installation.  This went
through without a hitch.

Ken

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-05 20:15   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2023-05-05 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 02.05.2023 21:47, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.
>
> Done.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

I do not succeed to upgrade.
Setup complains that perl 5.36.1 requires perl_0536 but
nothing provides it

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-05 20:44     ` Jon Turney
       [not found]       ` <43354da8-65cc-7224-fcee-81fe38afb512@gmail.com>
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Marco Atzeri

On 05/05/2023 21:15, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 02.05.2023 21:47, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps writes:
>>> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.
>>
>> Done.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>
> I do not succeed to upgrade.
> Setup complains that perl 5.36.1 requires perl_0536 but
> nothing provides it

Please can you run setup with '-v', and mail me the setup.log.full?

@ 2023-05-06 13:12         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-06 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin-apps

On 06/05/2023 06:37, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 05.05.2023 22:44, Jon Turney wrote:

>>> I do not succeed to upgrade.
>>> Setup complains that perl 5.36.1 requires perl_0536 but
>>> nothing provides it
>>
>> Please can you run setup with '-v', and mail me the setup.log.full?
>>

> attached

Thanks.

It looks like the conflict is over subversion-perl, which has yet to be
rebuilt.

If you uninstall that, you should be able to upgrade perl.

I'm not quite sure why that's not indicated as a possible solution in
the dependency conflict report.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-06 13:34         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-06 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Ken Brown

On 03/05/2023 23:01, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 5/3/2023 8:19 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new
>> Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport,
>> setup wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).
>
> I just tried a second experiment (with a new installation).  I chose
> base plus perl-Test-Harness.  Setup didn't report any problems; it
> simply added perl 5.32, and I let it complete the installation.  I then
> ran setup again, and the Pending view of the Select Packages page showed
> perl being upgraded to 5.36 and perl-Test-Harness being uninstalled.
>
> So setup ended up doing the right thing with respect to the obsolete
> package, but it needed two passes.
>
> Finally, I reran setup and chose cygport for installation.  This went
> through without a hitch.

I took the perl-Test-Harness dependency off automake (since Achim told
me it was unneeded) around 21:00 UTC on the 03-05-2023

To me, it seems like both that, and an updated texinfo, were needed
before installing cygport was possible, but I don't really understand why.

(There's definitely a problematic dependency chain cygport -> automake
-> automake1.* -> texinfo -> versioned perl which we need to be aware of
in future when rebuilding texinfo for updated perl)

I also noticed that the latest version of libsolv has a new API for
getting the solver to explain it's decisions, so it might be nice at
some stage to add some code to setup to use that and write what it says
to the log (and then maybe go back and see what it says about the
problematic circa).

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-06 18:31           ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-05-06 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 5/6/2023 9:34 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> (There's definitely a problematic dependency chain cygport -> automake
> -> automake1.* -> texinfo -> versioned perl which we need to be aware of
> in future when rebuilding texinfo for updated perl)

In addition to the dependencies above, there's actually a direct
dependency cygport -> texinfo.

I was aware of this when rebuilding texinfo, after an initial failed
attempt using SCALLYWAG.  The way I dealt with it was to forcibly update
perl, ignoring setup's warnings.  I don't know if there's a better way
to handle this in the future.  Maybe temporarily (or permanently?)
remove those dependencies on texinfo?

Ken

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-07 11:39           ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2023-05-07 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 06.05.2023 15:12, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 06/05/2023 06:37, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>>> Please can you run setup with '-v', and mail me the setup.log.full?
>>>

>> attached
>
> Thanks.
>
> It looks like the conflict is over subversion-perl, which has yet to be
> rebuilt.
>
> If you uninstall that, you should be able to upgrade perl.
>
> I'm not quite sure why that's not indicated as a possible solution in
> the dependency conflict report.

only pratical solution seems to force perl and perl_base upgrade
so I can now work to upgrade the packages with perl dependecy

Regards
Marco

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-09 20:15             ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-09 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin-apps

On 06/05/2023 19:31, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 5/6/2023 9:34 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
>> (There's definitely a problematic dependency chain cygport -> automake
>> -> automake1.* -> texinfo -> versioned perl which we need to be aware
>> of in future when rebuilding texinfo for updated perl)
>
> In addition to the dependencies above, there's actually a direct
> dependency cygport -> texinfo.

Doh, right!

> I was aware of this when rebuilding texinfo, after an initial failed
> attempt using SCALLYWAG.  The way I dealt with it was to forcibly update
> perl, ignoring setup's warnings.  I don't know if there's a better way
> to handle this in the future.  Maybe temporarily (or permanently?)
> remove those dependencies on texinfo?

I think perhaps that maybe making those dependencies of cygport
'suggests'/'recommended' (if we implemented that) rather than 'depends',
as that would let the solver consider solutions without those packages
installed.

I think would be ok, as texinfo doesn't actually require itself to build?

(There are perhaps a few packages which do have a real self-build-dep,
but those are probably harder to build anyhow, and it should be
explicitly recorded in build-requires?)

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-05-20  7:57   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-05-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the
> affected packages.
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html

That list has shrunk a bit.  The following packages should have priority
in getting updates/re-releases, I think:

subversion
weechat
hexchat
znc

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-10-23 18:53   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-10-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto

On 02/05/2023 21:34, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 01/05/2023 21:00, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.  I've skipped
>> 5.34 in order to update only every second year (which I've done since
>> the 5.22 release).  I haven't seen any trouble in my own Perl
>> distribution packages from the update even though there are lots of
>> them that haven't been updated since at least 5.22.  So I hope it will
>> be smooth sailing for anything else depending on Perl also.
>>
>> Any maintainer having packages that depend on perl5_032 should
>> re-release or upgrade these soon-ish after the Perl update is available,
>> as otherwise users are either blocked from upgrading Perl or will have
>> to uninstall the affected packages.  The rebuilt packages need to have a
>> dependency on perl5_036, which cygport provides automatically.
>
> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the affected
> packages.
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html

Hi Jari,

Is it possible to get a rebuild/update of pristine-tar and sendxmpp for
perl5.36?

TIA.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2023-12-15 17:15     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-12-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jari Aalto; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 23/10/2023 19:53, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 02/05/2023 21:34, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 01/05/2023 21:00, Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to release Perl 5.36.1 to Cygwin in a few days.  I've skipped
>>> 5.34 in order to update only every second year (which I've done since
>>> the 5.22 release).  I haven't seen any trouble in my own Perl
>>> distribution packages from the update even though there are lots of
>>> them that haven't been updated since at least 5.22.  So I hope it will
>>> be smooth sailing for anything else depending on Perl also.
>>>
>>> Any maintainer having packages that depend on perl5_032 should
>>> re-release or upgrade these soon-ish after the Perl update is available,
>>> as otherwise users are either blocked from upgrading Perl or will have
>>> to uninstall the affected packages.  The rebuilt packages need to have a
>>> dependency on perl5_036, which cygport provides automatically.
>>
>> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the
>> affected packages.
>>
>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html
>>

> Hi Jari,
>
> Is it possible to get a rebuild/update of pristine-tar and sendxmpp for
> perl5.36?

Ping?

Please indicate if these packages will be updated, or should be removed.

* Re: [Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent
@ 2024-01-28 16:40       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-01-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jari Aalto; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 15/12/2023 17:15, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 23/10/2023 19:53, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> There's an updated report available [1], which should list the
>>> affected packages.
>>>
>>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packages/reports/perl_rebuilds.html
>>>

>> Hi Jari,
>>
>> Is it possible to get a rebuild/update of pristine-tar and sendxmpp
>> for perl5.36?

On further examination, it seems that sendxmpp is mistakenly identified
as having a dependency on a particular version of perl, due to the
presence of a
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32/x86_64-cygwin-threads/auto/sendxmpp/.packlist
file, which probably shouldn't be in the package.

So, I've dropped that dependency from sendxmpp.

> Ping?
>
> Please indicate if these packages will be updated, or should be removed.

In the absence of any response, I have removed pristine-tar, the last
remaining package depending on perl 5.32, so people who install
everything (against our advice) aren't potentially forced down onto an
old perl.

I will assume it is orphaned unless you say otherwise.

If that's not what you wanted to happen, please let me know.