public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Quick query about Windows versions
@ 2020-03-31 14:15 Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2020-03-31 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 294 bytes --]

Hi all,

Just thought I should ask: is there a perferred version of Windows to
build packages on, or does it not matter?

I currently build on Windows 7, following the tradition of building on
the oldest supported platform, but I have no idea if this is needed with
Cygwin.

Hamish

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: 0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc --]

* Re: Quick query about Windows versions
@ 2020-03-31 16:24 ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2020-03-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Just thought I should ask: is there a perferred version of Windows to
> build packages on, or does it not matter?

Whatever supported version of Windows you use, I'd say.

> I currently build on Windows 7, following the tradition of building on
> the oldest supported platform, but I have no idea if this is needed with
> Cygwin.

No Windows 7 system should still have the ability to connect to the
internet… so no, I don't think you should even try to build there.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Quick query about Windows versions
@ 2020-03-31 17:58   ` Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2020-03-31 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 717 bytes --]

On 31/03/2020 17:24, ASSI wrote:
> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Just thought I should ask: is there a perferred version of Windows to
>> build packages on, or does it not matter?
> Whatever supported version of Windows you use, I'd say.
>
>> I currently build on Windows 7, following the tradition of building on
>> the oldest supported platform, but I have no idea if this is needed with
>> Cygwin.
> No Windows 7 system should still have the ability to connect to the
> internet… so no, I don't think you should even try to build there.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Yep, that's why I asked. I'll upgrade the VM to Windows 10 then, if it
makes no difference to Cygwin.

@ 2020-04-01  9:36     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2020-04-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 31 18:58, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 31/03/2020 17:24, ASSI wrote:
> > Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes:
> >> Just thought I should ask: is there a perferred version of Windows to
> >> build packages on, or does it not matter?
> > Whatever supported version of Windows you use, I'd say.
> >
> >> I currently build on Windows 7, following the tradition of building on
> >> the oldest supported platform, but I have no idea if this is needed with
> >> Cygwin.
> > No Windows 7 system should still have the ability to connect to the
> > internet… so no, I don't think you should even try to build there.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Achim.
>
> Yep, that's why I asked. I'll upgrade the VM to Windows 10 then, if it
> makes no difference to Cygwin.

None at all.  Right now we still support all versions since Windows
Vista, so any breakage building stuff on these systems is the fault
of the Cygwin core.  Other than that, Achim is right, of course :)

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Quick query about Windows versions
@ 2020-04-01 12:14       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-04-01 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 01.04.2020 um 11:36 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Mar 31 18:58, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> Whatever supported version of Windows you use, I'd say.

>>> No Windows 7 system should still have the ability to connect to the
>>> internet… so no, I don't think you should even try to build there.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Achim.
>> Yep, that's why I asked. I'll upgrade the VM to Windows 10 then, if it
>> makes no difference to Cygwin.
> None at all.  Right now we still support all versions since Windows
> Vista, so any breakage building stuff on these systems is the fault
> of the Cygwin core.  Other than that, Achim is right, of course :)
Unless your package would use w32api and explicitly detect the build
system version to include more or less features depending on it...

* Re: Quick query about Windows versions
@ 2020-04-01 13:59       ` Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2020-04-01 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 523 bytes --]

On 01/04/2020 10:36, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> None at all.  Right now we still support all versions since Windows
> Vista, so any breakage building stuff on these systems is the fault
> of the Cygwin core.  Other than that, Achim is right, of course :)
>

> Corinna

I'm now all upgraded.

I didn't know Vista was still supported - couldn't get Cygwin to install
on it back in September so I assumed it had been dropped. I can't
remember what the problem was, but perhaps it was my mistake then.

@ 2020-04-01 17:29         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2020-04-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps