public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Tox issues with Python 3.6 and 3.7
@ 2022-01-20 14:56 Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2022-01-20 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi there,

This is a follow-up to Marco Atzeri and I talking about tox in the
Python 3.9 email thread. I have just started trying to use tox for
testing python-imaging.

I have found that tox has some issues on Python 3.6 and 3.7, namely that:

3.6:

typing-extensions (on PyPI) is required for tox to run (I installed with
pip3.6). This is not available in the Cygwin repositories.

Then, platformdirs is needed. This is available in the Cygwin
repositories but not for 3.6.

I then decided not to bother supporting 3.6 seeing as it is EOL now anyway.

3.7:

As above typing-extensions is required, which I installed with pip3.7.

Tox then says it can't find the "interpreter for Builtin discover of
python_spec='python3.7m'"

It also seems to be trying to build Pillow again inside a virtualenv,
but doesn't find jpeg headers/libraries, which are installed.

Marco, I assume you didn't have these problems when you tested, or you
found a way to fix them. Having never used tox before, I'm at a bit of a
loss, any ideas?

Hamish

* Re: Tox issues with Python 3.6 and 3.7
@ 2022-02-03 19:34 ` Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2022-02-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 20/01/2022 14:56, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This is a follow-up to Marco Atzeri and I talking about tox in the
> Python 3.9 email thread. I have just started trying to use tox for
> testing python-imaging.
>
> I have found that tox has some issues on Python 3.6 and 3.7, namely that:
>
> 3.6:
>
> typing-extensions (on PyPI) is required for tox to run (I installed with
> pip3.6). This is not available in the Cygwin repositories.
>
> Then, platformdirs is needed. This is available in the Cygwin
> repositories but not for 3.6.
>
> I then decided not to bother supporting 3.6 seeing as it is EOL now anyway.
>
> 3.7:
>
> As above typing-extensions is required, which I installed with pip3.7.
>
> Tox then says it can't find the "interpreter for Builtin discover of
> python_spec='python3.7m'"
>
> It also seems to be trying to build Pillow again inside a virtualenv,
> but doesn't find jpeg headers/libraries, which are installed.
>
> Marco, I assume you didn't have these problems when you tested, or you
> found a way to fix them. Having never used tox before, I'm at a bit of a
> loss, any ideas?
>
> Hamish

*Bump* as it seems this slipped past everyone's radar.

@ 2022-02-04  6:48   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-02-04  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 03.02.2022 20:34, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> On 20/01/2022 14:56, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> This is a follow-up to Marco Atzeri and I talking about tox in the
>> Python 3.9 email thread. I have just started trying to use tox for
>> testing python-imaging.
>>
>> I have found that tox has some issues on Python 3.6 and 3.7, namely that:
>>
>> 3.6:
>>

>> Marco, I assume you didn't have these problems when you tested, or you
>> found a way to fix them. Having never used tox before, I'm at a bit of
>> a loss, any ideas?
>>
>> Hamish
>>

> *Bump* as it seems this slipped past everyone's radar.
>
> Hamish

Hi Hamish,

just very low on my priority list

if you pass the test on 3.9 is already enough for me

Regards
Marco