public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] picocom 3.1
@ 2023-01-03 23:02 Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2023-01-03 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello, I'd like to maintain the package picocom

github/homepage: https://github.com/npat-efault/picocom

As its name suggests, /picocom/ is a minimal dumb-terminal emulation program. It is, in
principle, very much like minicom, only it's "pico" instead of "mini"!

It was designed to serve as a simple, manual, modem configuration, testing, and debugging
tool. It has also served (quite well) as a low-tech serial communications program to allow
access to all types of devices that provide serial consoles. It could also prove useful in
many other similar tasks. It can be used in embedded systems, since its memory footprint
is rather small (approximately 40K, when stripped and minimally configured).

Please review:

cygport:
attached, also in scallywag
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/playground.git;a=commitdiff;h=de7e29979579d5b7d965b126388f39e248c27a99

scallywag:
https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/3833552061

This package is also present in Linux distributions, e.g. Ubuntu:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/source/kinetic/s390x/picocom

License: GNU General Public License v2.0
https://github.com/npat-efault/picocom/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Regards,
Libor

[-- Attachment #2: picocom.cygport --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1008 bytes --]

# package name
NAME="picocom"
VERSION=3.1
RELEASE=1

# .hint generation
CATEGORY="Utils"
SUMMARY="Minimal dumb-terminal emulator"
DESCRIPTION="picocom was designed to serve as a simple, manual, modem
 configuration, testing, and debugging tool. It has also served (quite
 well) as a low-tech \"terminal-window\" to allow operator intervention
 in PPP connection scripts (something like the ms-windows \"open
 terminal window before / after dialing\" feature). It could also prove
 useful in many other similar tasks. It is ideal for embedded systems
 since its memory footprint is minimal."
HOMEPAGE="hhttps://github.com/npat-efault/picocom"
LICENSE="GPL-2.0"

# source and patch files
SRC_URI="https://github.com/npat-efault/${NAME}/archive/refs/tags/${VERSION}.tar.gz"
REQUIRES=""
BUILD_REQUIRES+="gcc-g++"

MAKEOPTS=""

# use modified src_compile and src_install
src_compile() {
        cd ${S}
	lndirs
	cd ${B}
	cygmake
}

src_install() {
	cd ${B}
	dobin picocom
	doman picocom.1
	dodoc picocom.1.html

* Re: [ITP] picocom 3.1
@ 2023-01-07 13:26 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-01-07 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Libor Ukropec, cygwin-apps

On 03/01/2023 23:02, Libor Ukropec via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> ackage name
> NAME="picocom"
> VERSION=3.1
> RELEASE=1
>
> # .hint generation
> CATEGORY="Utils"
> SUMMARY="Minimal dumb-terminal emulator"
> DESCRIPTION="picocom was designed to serve as a simple, manual, modem
>   configuration, testing, and debugging tool. It has also served (quite
>   well) as a low-tech \"terminal-window\" to allow operator intervention
>   in PPP connection scripts (something like the ms-windows \"open
>   terminal window before / after dialing\" feature). It could also prove
>   useful in many other similar tasks. It is ideal for embedded systems
>   since its memory footprint is minimal."
> HOMEPAGE="hhttps://github.com/npat-efault/picocom"

There seems to be typo here (a doubled h in hhttps)

> LICENSE="GPL-2.0"
>
> # source and patch files
> SRC_URI="https://github.com/npat-efault/${NAME}/archive/refs/tags/${VERSION}.tar.gz"
> REQUIRES=""

You don't need this if it's empty

> BUILD_REQUIRES+="gcc-g++"

This can be written just '='

> MAKEOPTS=""

Does this do anything?

Otherwise, looks good. Thanks.

I added picocom to your packages.

* Re: [ITP] picocom 3.1
@ 2023-01-07 17:03   ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2023-01-07 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dne 07.01.2023 v 14:26 Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps napsal(a):
> On 03/01/2023 23:02, Libor Ukropec via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>> HOMEPAGE="hhttps://github.com/npat-efault/picocom"
>
> There seems to be typo here (a doubled h in hhttps)
good catch, fixed

>> LICENSE="GPL-2.0"
>>
>> # source and patch files
>> SRC_URI="https://github.com/npat-efault/${NAME}/archive/refs/tags/${VERSION}.tar.gz"
>> REQUIRES=""
>
> You don't need this if it's empty
fixed

>> BUILD_REQUIRES+="gcc-g++"
>
> This can be written just '='
fixed

>> MAKEOPTS=""
removed, copy&paste error

> Does this do anything?
>
> Otherwise, looks good. Thanks.
>
> I added picocom to your packages.

thank you, repo initialized.

* Re: [ITP] picocom 3.1
@ 2023-01-07 17:58   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-01-07 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Libor Ukropec, cygwin-apps

On 07/01/2023 13:26, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 03/01/2023 23:02, Libor Ukropec via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>> DESCRIPTION="picocom was designed to serve as a simple, manual, modem
>>   configuration, testing, and debugging tool. It has also served (quite
>>   well) as a low-tech \"terminal-window\" to allow operator intervention
>>   in PPP connection scripts (something like the ms-windows \"open
>>   terminal window before / after dialing\" feature). It could also prove
>>   useful in many other similar tasks. It is ideal for embedded systems
>>   since its memory footprint is minimal."
Ah, I should have spotted: there is no quote character defined for these
strings, so this is invalid. Probably you should use embedded single
quotes instead here.

This could do with fixing, but I suspect that it's not totally
straightforward (I think the lexer in setup would need to be taught how
to handle them, and then we'd need to ensure these escapes pass through
cygport and calm)

* Re: [ITP] picocom 3.1
@ 2023-01-07 18:59     ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2023-01-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dne 07.01.2023 v 18:58 Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps napsal(a):
> On 07/01/2023 13:26, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 03/01/2023 23:02, Libor Ukropec via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>
>>> DESCRIPTION="picocom was designed to serve as a simple, manual, modem
>>>   configuration, testing, and debugging tool. It has also served (quite
>>>   well) as a low-tech \"terminal-window\" to allow operator intervention
>>>   in PPP connection scripts (something like the ms-windows \"open
>>>   terminal window before / after dialing\" feature). It could also prove
>>>   useful in many other similar tasks. It is ideal for embedded systems
>>>   since its memory footprint is minimal."
> Ah, I should have spotted: there is no quote character defined for these strings, so this
> is invalid. Probably you should use embedded single quotes instead here.
Yes, I changed them to apostrophes. Then I noticed your email.
During writing I received info that it was accepted :)

> This could do with fixing, but I suspect that it's not totally straightforward (I think
> the lexer in setup would need to be taught how to handle them, and then we'd need to
> ensure these escapes pass through cygport and calm)
I don't think it worth for the effort, if I'm one in the whole history