public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
       [not found]   ` <44A2F9B2.5080101@serv.net>
@ 2006-06-28 21:54     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-28 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 02:50:42PM -0700, L Anderson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 04:50:26PM -0400, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:
>>
>>>I am running WinXP SP2
>>>
>>>I installed openssh and followed the instructions at
>>>http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html on how to install.
>>

>>Nicholas Fong (nfong@xxxxxxxx.xxx) is the person responsible for those
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Perhaps a new Cygwin acronym is in order--something like:
>
>PDPSHFIYR--Please Don't Put Spam Harvester Food In Your Replies.

Of course, it may just be that I meant to do that, too...

cgf

* RE: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-28 23:19       ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 02:50:42PM -0700, L Anderson wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>Nicholas Fong (nfong@xxxxxxxx.xxx) is the person
> responsible for those
> >                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Perhaps a new Cygwin acronym is in order--something like:
> >
> >PDPSHFIYR--Please Don't Put Spam Harvester Food In Your Replies.
>
> Of course, it may just be that I meant to do that, too...
>
> cgf

???  You are intentionally violating your own rules of the cygwin-at list
now?  To what possible constructive end?

Hmm.  Well at least you replied to the correct list this time.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  0:35         ` Christopher Faylor
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-29  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:19:10PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> [...]

I'm glad that you asked.  That's why I sent the message here.

I did it because this web site has been the consistent source of
misinformation for years and I wanted to provide a clear, unambiguous
place to point people to.  No foo at bar dot com.  A real email address.

I actually checked first to make sure that his email address showed up
elsewhere on the web.

If people think this is a horrible thing then I'll remove his address
from the archives but I kind of wanted to have his email address
archived, too for future reference.  But, perhaps I erred in doing this.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the sane members of this
mailing list.

cgf

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  0:46           ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-06-29  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:19:10PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-06/msg00796.html> (sorry it's on the
wrong list).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* RE: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  0:50           ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:19:10PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

1.  Sane members?  Now you *are* posting to the wrong list.
2.  Seem that if you're soliciting permission from the Cygwin community to
start editing the cygwin-at mailing list archives, you should be asking for
it on that self-same list, and most certainly not on a list that primarily
concerns itself with the discussion of hippopotomi.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  0:51             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-29  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 08:46:06PM -0400, Igor Peshansky wrote:
><http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-06/msg00796.html> (sorry it's on the
>wrong list).

That's ok.  I didn't do a chicken dance.

I saw your message moments after sending my mail.

Thanks.

cgf

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  0:57             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-29  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:50:16PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>1.  Sane members?  Now you *are* posting to the wrong list.
>2.  Seem that if you're soliciting permission from the Cygwin community to
>start editing the cygwin-at mailing list archives, you should be asking for
>it on that self-same list, and most certainly not on a list that primarily
>concerns itself with the discussion of hippopotomi.

Wait, so, I was on-topic when I moved here but now I have to go back to the
cygwin list to stay on-topic?

With one notable exception, the opinions that I'm interested in all reside
here.  And, I specifically moved my response here to short circuit even
more inanity regarding pigtail.net.

And, I wasn't asking permission, I was asking for opinions.

Just as an idle question for you Gary:  Have you had a recent head injury?

Just wondering.

cgf

* RE: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  1:18               ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:50:16PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> >1.  Sane members?  Now you *are* posting to the wrong list.
> >2.  Seem that if you're soliciting permission from the
> Cygwin community
> >to start editing the cygwin-at mailing list archives, you should be
> >asking for it on that self-same list, and most certainly not
> on a list
> >that primarily concerns itself with the discussion of hippopotomi.
>
> Wait, so, I was on-topic when I moved here but now I have to

So you're just as confused as the rest of us about what the mailing list
rules are, to whom they apply, and to what degree?  Oh dear!

> With one notable exception, the opinions that I'm interested
> in all reside here.

It's still the wrong list.  Rules is rules Chris, you know that.  Er,
well....

>  And, I specifically moved my response
> here to short circuit even more inanity regarding pigtail.net.
>
> And, I wasn't asking permission, I was asking for opinions.

I must have misread.  All apologies.

> Just as an idle question for you Gary:  Have you had a recent
> head injury?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> cgf

How vituperative.  Whatever that means.

But to answer you question: No, I have not suffered a head injury, nor any
serious physical trauma for that matter, recently or otherwise.  Thank you
for your concern though, and rest assured should such an unfortunate event
happen, you will be the first person I notify.  Via the most appropriate and
efficacious channels, of course.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  2:15                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-29  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 08:18:42PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> [...]

Wow.  I should have remembered that you don't follow these things and
been clearer.  I actually was expressing incredulity at your inability to
maintain consistency within the span of two email messages.

Anyway, I really do have the right to ask for opinions from whomever I
see fit and I clearly asked for the opinions of the subset of cygwin
users in this mailing list.

But, yes, I know.  You don't follow.  And, undoubtedly you have an
audience of one who greatly enjoys petulant, confused observations about
what's appropriate for which mailing list so you will be not following
for the foreseeable future.  We all get that by now.

cgf

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  8:29           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-06-29  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Jun 28 20:35, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I did it because this web site has been the consistent source of
> misinformation for years and I wanted to provide a clear, unambiguous
> place to point people to.  No foo at bar dot com.  A real email address.
>
> I actually checked first to make sure that his email address showed up
> elsewhere on the web.
>
> If people think this is a horrible thing then I'll remove his address
> from the archives but I kind of wanted to have his email address
> archived, too for future reference.  But, perhaps I erred in doing this.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the sane members of this
> mailing list.

Sorry, I can only give you the opinion of just another insane member
on this list.

My opinion is this:  When I saw it, I couldn't avoid a grin together
with a "serves them right" feeling.  But OTOH it sets a bad precedent
and we should generally avoid it in future, nevertheless. I wouldn't
change the mail archive, though, except on request.

My second opinion is this:  I'd love to have a mail content filter so
that all mails to cygwin dot com with the URL http colon slash slash
pigtail dot net slash LRP slash printsrv slash cygwin dash sshd dot html
in it are refused.

Corinna Hippa est

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29 14:53             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:29:15AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>My second opinion is this:  I'd love to have a mail content filter so
>that all mails to cygwin dot com with the URL http colon slash slash
>pigtail dot net slash LRP slash printsrv slash cygwin dash sshd dot html
>in it are refused.

I looked into doing that yesterday.

I can block email with that string now but it would give a generic "You've
sent spam" response which I think would be confusing to the hapless user
who thinks they've done something wonderful by following the official
installation instructions.

So, if I really want to do this, I have to be able to block it and provide
a custom bounce message.  Of course, experience shows that people don't
read this kind of thing but at least it would allow me to say "look at
the text of the bounce message" when they whine about being unable to
send email.

cgf

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29 16:37         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-06-29 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Jun 29 11:27, mwoehlke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jun 29 00:27, One Angry User wrote:
> >>On a rainy Wednesday night, the 28th day of June, 2006, mwoehlke's
> >>computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
> >>Help!  We've been overtaken by a herd of insane hippos!  Run for your
> >>lives!
> >
> >Naah, calm down, the hippos are the *only* sane members here.
>
> See! I was right! HAVEN'T I BEEN TELLING YOU!

Pscht!  Don't yell!  You're calling the attention of the hippos in
the white jackets...

Corinna

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29 16:27       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-06-29 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 29 00:27, One Angry User wrote:
>>> I think the hippos might be sane. Maybe.
>> Help!  We've been overtaken by a herd of insane hippos!  Run for your
>> lives!
>
> Naah, calm down, the hippos are the *only* sane members here.

See! I was right! HAVEN'T I BEEN TELLING YOU!

... :-)

--
Matthew
Do not expose to extreme heat, cold, or open flame.

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  8:30     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-06-29  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-06-29  4:28   ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-06-29  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a rainy Wednesday night, the 28th day of June, 2006, mwoehlke's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> Eric Blake wrote:
> > cgf wrote:
> > > I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the sane members of this
> > > mailing list.
> >
> > Oops - I guess that means you can take whatever I said above,
> > and feed it to the hippos.  Is anyone on this list sane?
>
> I think the hippos might be sane. Maybe.

Help!  We've been overtaken by a herd of insane hippos!  Run for your
lives!

OAU

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  2:25 ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-06-29  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Eric Blake wrote:
> cgf wrote:
>> I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the sane members of this
>> mailing list.
>
> Oops - I guess that means you can take whatever I said above,
> and feed it to the hippos.  Is anyone on this list sane?

I think the hippos might be sane. Maybe.

--
Matthew
This message will self destruct in ten centuries.

* Re: ssh and SYSTEM
@ 2006-06-29  0:48 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-06-29  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: It's out in the open!

> >> responsible for those
> I did it because this web site has been the consistent source of
> misinformation for years and I wanted to provide a clear, unambiguous
> place to point people to.  No foo at bar dot com.  A real email address.

Sounds reasonable to me - anyone silly enough to ask the cygwin
list to clarify third-party information should be pointed instead to
that third-party, which is exactly what you did.  We have been trying
(seemingly to no avail) to convince people that the methods at
the pigtail website are simply wrong and/or outdated when it
comes to easily installing ssh on a cygwin system, and that the
documentation that comes with the cygwin port of ssh is the
best source to follow.

> I actually checked first to make sure that his email address showed up
> elsewhere on the web.
>
> If people think this is a horrible thing then I'll remove his address
> from the archives but I kind of wanted to have his email address
> archived, too for future reference.  But, perhaps I erred in doing this.

Nah - keep it in there.  At any rate, I wouldn't remove that post unless
Mr. Fong personally requested it (just like we don't answer to third-party
advice, you shouldn't remove an email address due to third-party
complaints).