public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* [OT] RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
       [not found] <44E0F683.3030203@netacquire.com>
@ 2006-08-15  0:02 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-15  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

On 14 August 2006 23:18, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:

[  Thread properly TITTTL'd.  Bock-bock-bock-baaaaaaawwwk!  ]

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Every single day for the past month, we have had at least
>> seventy-four[*] identical duplicate redundant reports of this...
>
> Have you considered that there just might be a significant message hidden
> in this from your user community?

  It's *my* user community?  Wow!  Does that mean I can take them home and
hang them on the wall?

  However, to answer your question: no.  Since every single one of those posts
presented itself as "wow, look what I just discovered, what's happening?", and
not a single one began with "Even though dos paths are no longer supported
here's a reason why I think they should stay", I don't think you can
reasonably infer a message from that, except that either an awful lot of
people are not in posession of even the most elementary search skills, or that
there are an awful lot of people who are so passive-consumption oriented that
the thought of trying to look up some information doesn't even occur to them
and their first thought is "Get someone else to tell me what to do".  Or both.

>  As somebody who was involved in one of
> these earlier threads, let me also mention that to every one of these
> seventy-four[*] reports you see on the mailing list there is another user
> who expresses his annoyance with these changes in private emails, having
> given up on posting such things because of the hostile reaction one gets
> these days for expressing views about requirements that certain people here
> don't like.

  Ah, the classic old the-lurkers-support-me-in-email argument.  As used by
usenet cranks since 1994 to justify posting the same whinge on the topic of
"how everyone should do things the way I say they should because it's just
obviously right" over and over again, on the grounds that they're only saying
it once for themselves, and otherwise speaking up for all the poor little
people who are too shy and timid to speak for themselves.  Wow, you complete
knight in white shining armour, you, you champion of the people.

  Or not.  You may or may not have had conversations in private mail, but that
doesn't make you some kind of democratic representative.  Get elected, then
we'll talk about what your constituency wants.

> If this implies that Cygwin maintainers generally "just don't care" about
> their users anymore perhaps those users will have to band together some day
> and consider creating a Cygwin fork...

  No, that implies you are fraudulently projecting a single case and assuming
it represents an entire set of people in an attempt to construct a specious
argument.

  As I pointed out initially, I am not the make maintainer, nor a redhat
employee, nor a cygwin project member.  I'm here of my own accord, to get help
with my cygwin problems, help other people solve theirs, post the odd bugfix,
and so on, and I have no responsibility or duty of care toward *you*, and am
fully entitled to get bored with people posting the exact same posts over and
over and over and over again.

    cheers,
      DaveK

@ 2006-08-15  1:18 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2006-08-15  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List'

[TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I could
mention]

> From: Joachim Achtzehnter
>
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
> > Every single day for the past month, we have had at least
> > seventy-four[*] identical duplicate redundant reports of this...
>
> Have you considered that there just might be a significant
> message hidden in this from your user community? As somebody
> who was involved in one of these earlier threads, let me also
> mention that to every one of these seventy-four[*] reports
> you see on the mailing list there is another user who
> expresses his annoyance with these changes in private emails,
> having given up on posting such things because of the hostile
> reaction one gets these days for expressing views about
> requirements that certain people here don't like.

"These days"?  You're new 'round these parts, huh?

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > I just don't care about MS-DOS paths.
>
> Fair enough, you've made that pretty clear in previous posts.

It's kind of sad really: There used to be a time when Cygwin was more "POSIX
And Windows Living In Relative Harmony" than "Any flavor as long as it's
Linux".

> > If I am somehow conveying the impression that there is some
> threshold
> > of affected users which will cause me to spend my own time
> trying to
> > modify make, let me make it clear - that is not the case.
>
> If this implies that Cygwin maintainers generally "just don't
> care" about their users anymore perhaps those users will have
> to band together some day and consider creating a Cygwin fork...

Where do you think MinGW came from?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  1:24   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-15  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'arf arf arf woof woof'

On 15 August 2006 02:18, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

> [TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I could
> mention]

  Way ahead of you, Gaaaar-eeee!

> Where do you think MinGW came from?

  Everyone knows where MinGWs come from.  The hippo brings them.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  1:29   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-15  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 08:18:23PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>[TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I
>could mention]

Chuckle.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-talk/2006-q3/msg00159.html

cgf

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  1:31     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2006-08-15  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List'

> From: Dave Korn
> To: 'arf arf arf woof woof'

Ah, dude, seriously: you're barking like a dog now.  Not a good sign.

> On 15 August 2006 02:18, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> > [TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I
> > could mention]
>
>   Way ahead of you, Gaaaar-eeee!

Wha-huh?:

Not good Korns, not good!  That's one!

> > Where do you think MinGW came from?
> >

>   Everyone knows where MinGWs come from.  The hippo brings them.

Hehe, yeah, it *is* cute when they still belive in Hippoclaus.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  1:35     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 08:18:23PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> >[TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I
> >could mention]
>
> Chuckle.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-talk/2006-q3/msg00159.html
>
> cgf

Alright Chris, alright, you can be the "et al":

Gary R. Van Sickle

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  2:36       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-15  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'only 325 hippoing days until christmas'

On 15 August 2006 02:32, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

>> From: Dave Korn
>> To: 'arf arf arf woof woof'
>
> Ah, dude, seriously: you're barking like a dog now.  Not a good sign.

  This entire conversation is barking.  I'm just honest about it!

>> On 15 August 2006 02:18, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>
>>> [TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I
>>> could mention]
>>
>>   Way ahead of you, Gaaaar-eeee!
>>

> Wha-huh?:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-08/msg00547.html
>
> Not good Korns, not good!  That's one!

  I plead time-travel!  Hah!  Get out of that one!  (Don't bother, you already
will have didn'ted!)

>>> Where do you think MinGW came from?
>>>

>>   Everyone knows where MinGWs come from.  The hippo brings them.
>>

> Hehe, yeah, it *is* cute when they still belive in Hippoclaus.

  Believe in him?  How could anyone doubt?

  Man, it takes almost the whole rest of the year just to get his fat ass
unstuck back out of the chimney!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  2:41       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-15  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
On 15 August 2006 02:35, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

> [...]

  http://tinyurl.com/qh6nr !

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  2:50         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-15  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 15 August 2006 02:32, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> >> From: Dave Korn
> >> To: 'arf arf arf woof woof'
> >
> > Ah, dude, seriously: you're barking like a dog now.  Not a good sign.
>
>   This entire conversation is barking.  I'm just honest about it!

> >>   Way ahead of you, Gaaaar-eeee!
> >
> > Wha-huh?:
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-08/msg00547.html
> >
> > Not good Korns, not good!  That's one!
>
>   I plead time-travel!  Hah!  Get out of that one!  (Don't bother, you already
> will have didn'ted!)

> >>   Everyone knows where MinGWs come from.  The hippo brings them.
> >
> > Hehe, yeah, it *is* cute when they still belive in Hippoclaus.
>
>   Believe in him?  How could anyone doubt?
>
>   Man, it takes almost the whole rest of the year just to get his fat ass
> unstuck back out of the chimney!

That's because somebody's chimneys are too narrow! (a liberal mis-quoting
of AA Milne).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  4:05         ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> On 15 August 2006 02:32, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> >> From: Dave Korn
> >> To: 'arf arf arf woof woof'
> >
> > Ah, dude, seriously: you're barking like a dog now.  Not a
> good sign.
> >

>   This entire conversation is barking.  I'm just honest about it!

Mmm, no, it looks like it's mainly you barking.

> Korns et al I
> >>
> >>   Way ahead of you, Gaaaar-eeee!
> >>

> > Wha-huh?:
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-08/msg00547.html
> >
> > Not good Korns, not good!  That's one!
>
>   I plead time-travel!  Hah!  Get out of that one!  (Don't
> bother, you already will have didn'ted!)

Pish posh.  I shall simply get in the Cygwin Time Machine, reverse the
polarity of the neutron flow, and...

...oh dear...

...now I'm back in the halcyon days of B20.  Well, if anybody needs a copy
of The One True Cygwin, let me know and I'll bring back a few copies.  IIRC,
it had support for DOS paths in makefiles for some reason.

> >>   Everyone knows where MinGWs come from.  The hippo brings them.
> >>

> > Hehe, yeah, it *is* cute when they still belive in Hippoclaus.
> >

>   Believe in him?  How could anyone doubt?

Yeuh-oh!  Nevermind Korns!  (aside: Yes... but let him dream. ;-))

>   Man, it takes almost the whole rest of the year just to get
> his fat ass unstuck back out of the chimney!
          ^^^

Ouch.  That's two.

Or, wait, was potty mouth ok?  Oh dear oh dear, it is *ever* so difficult to
keep all these rules and regulations straight!

@ 2006-08-15  4:15         ` Gary R. Van Sickle

http://tinyurl.com/rce3b .

@ 2006-08-15  8:51           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-15  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'bet gary doesn't like south park!'

On 15 August 2006 05:06, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

>>   Man, it takes almost the whole rest of the year just to get
>> his fat ass unstuck back out of the chimney!
>           ^^^
>
> Ouch.  That's two.
>
> Or, wait, was potty mouth ok?  Oh dear oh dear, it is *ever* so difficult to
> keep all these rules and regulations straight!

  Oh, don't be such an ass, Gary.  You're perfectly happy to use equally mild
language yourself on occasion!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15  8:55           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-15  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
On 15 August 2006 05:16, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

> [...]

  Ewww!  Gary, how *could* you?  That's the most disgusting thing I've ever
unsuspectingly clicked on!  Far worse even than goatse!  I'm just off to scrub
my eyeballs out with bleach and glasspaper!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15 13:29           ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

> [...]

"It's getting obscuriouser and obscuriouser..." (a liberal mis-quoting of
Lewis Carroll).
	Igor
--

@ 2006-08-15 13:30             ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-15 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 15 August 2006 05:06, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> >>   Man, it takes almost the whole rest of the year just to get
> >> his fat ass unstuck back out of the chimney!
> >           ^^^
> >
> > Ouch.  That's two.
> >
> > Or, wait, was potty mouth ok?  Oh dear oh dear, it is *ever* so
> > difficult to keep all these rules and regulations straight!
>
>   Oh, don't be such an ass, Gary.  You're perfectly happy to use equally
> mild language yourself on occasion!

There was a young girl from Madras,
And she had a remarkable ass.
It wasn't round and pink
(As you might think) --
It was gray, had long ears, and ate grass.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: [OT] RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-15 15:55   ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:
>   Or not.  You may or may not have had conversations in private mail, but that
> doesn't make you some kind of democratic representative.  Get elected, then
> we'll talk about what your constituency wants.

Wouldn't that be a republican representative? ;-)
(note: republican = absolutely nothing to do with political parties)

Anyway, he already lost my vote...

--
Matthew
Only Joe suffers from schizophrenia. The rest of us enjoy it.

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-28  0:07                                 ` Joe Smith
From: Joe Smith @ 2006-08-28  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

"George" <d1945@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Off the top of my head, but in alphabetic order ...
>
> arp
> control
> dumpel
> expand
> nbtstat
> netstat
> ntrights
> nslookup
> ping
> regedit
> route
> sclist
> su

Windows has su???

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-17 23:37                               ` George
From: George @ 2006-08-17 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:34:04AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 09:12:27AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Aug 16 18:38, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>I think linux probably has some kind of /proc file option setting to
> >>understand drive letters.  Probably cygwin should emulate that.
> >
> >As far as I know there's no such option.  It seems to me this is really
> >called for and somebody should implement it.  Along these lines there
> >should be another /proc option which finally allows Linux users to use
> >the beloved backslashes as path separators.  I can't understand why
> >Linus deliberately changed the path separator from backslash to slash,
> >thus undermining an industry standard.  Intolerable.
>
> <rant on>
> [...]
>
> Another real annoyance is the use of '-' and '--' for option specifiers.

I've found it more annoying to have to re-read a manpage for a program
that I have little interest in, rarely use and has too many features to
count to remember WTF it is that my short-option-invocation of it does
in some one-off script I wrote.

> Windows uses just a single '/',

Off the top of my head, but in alphabetic order ...

arp
control
dumpel
expand
nbtstat
netstat
ntrights
nslookup
ping
regedit
route
sclist
su
sysprep
tracert

All use a dash, except when they use a slash.  Which all do.  At least
for the help output.  Except in those cases where there is no help
output.

Mind you, the above examples may or may not be representative of other
programs where a '-?' is required in place of a '/?', notwithstanding
those cases where usage information is output only when no options are
provided, or an incorrect option is given, further notwithstanding those
cases where, in the case of no options being provided, the program will
hang, waiting for input.

If anyone is starting to see a pattern here, do let me know.

> Sometimes I think about writing my own OS which corrects these
> inequities but I really just don't have the time...

Judging from a recent overlong thread on the main list, I'd suggest
there's ample evidence that rants taste great and are more satisfying,
in addition to taking less time.  Hardly words to live by, but they
might go well with a beer.  If not, just enjoy the beer while
remembering the good old days before DOS discovered directories.

--
George

* RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-17 16:38                               ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 17 August 2006 17:12, mwoehlke wrote:
>
> > Igor Peshansky wrote:

> >> Eh, get a better firewall. :-)
> >
> > I'll talk to my IT department. ;p
>
>   Relax, we already did it.
>
>   In your name.  From your computer.
>
>   Then we went into theirs and sent you a reply, but it's awfully rude.
> You don't want to read it.  So we deleted the mail spool.
>
>   However, we have installed a firewall on your PC for you.  Just one
> thing, though, I think we put it in the wrong way round.  I think we
> just protected the rest of the internet from you.  So you may not see
> this reply.

Oh, and Cygwin may not work too well now, since we've installed
Symantec...
	Igor
--

@ 2006-08-17 16:17                             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-17 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'respect mahhh nutwork securitahh'

@ 2006-08-17 16:12                           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-17 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Igor Peshansky wrote:

>>> Actually, sorry, I've misread the above.  Doesn't GNU make already have a
>>> plethora of functions not present in other makes?  What's wrong with one
>>> more?  If "cygpath" is too system-specific a name, let's pick one that
>>> isn't ("pathconv"?).
>>
>> Hey! Get off my computer! :-)
>>
>> ("pathconv" is exactly the name I gave to my tool that hides the
>> differences between Cygwin's path conversion and Interix's path
>> conversion.)
>
> Eh, get a better firewall. :-)

I'll talk to my IT department. ;p

--
Matthew
Websites such as ... Wikipedia ... are reputed to occupy users for
periods in excess of 5 hours. -- Wikipedia article on Internet Addiction

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-17 15:33                         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, mwoehlke wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:

> > > ...which you would already have with cl commands and DOS paths...
> >
> > Actually, sorry, I've misread the above.  Doesn't GNU make already have a
> > plethora of functions not present in other makes?  What's wrong with one
> > more?  If "cygpath" is too system-specific a name, let's pick one that
> > isn't ("pathconv"?).
> > 	Igor
>
> Hey! Get off my computer! :-)
>
> ("pathconv" is exactly the name I gave to my tool that hides the
> differences between Cygwin's path conversion and Interix's path
> conversion.)

Eh, get a better firewall. :-)
	Igor
--

       [not found]                     ` <Pine.GSO.4.63.0608171010080.14156@access1.cims.nyu.edu>
@ 2006-08-17 15:17                       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-17 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

@ 2006-08-17 14:34                             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 09:12:27AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 16 18:38, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I think linux probably has some kind of /proc file option setting to
>>understand drive letters.  Probably cygwin should emulate that.
>
>As far as I know there's no such option.  It seems to me this is really
>called for and somebody should implement it.  Along these lines there
>should be another /proc option which finally allows Linux users to use
>the beloved backslashes as path separators.  I can't understand why
>Linus deliberately changed the path separator from backslash to slash,
>thus undermining an industry standard.  Intolerable.

<rant on>
I think it's probably just the standard Free Software "My way is better"
mentality.  The one thing that really bugs me about OSS is the insistence
on tinkering with tried-and-true ways of doing things.

For instance, the Gnome interface is just different enough from the standard
Windows interface to drive any user who has to flip back and forth between
the two up the wall.

Another real annoyance is the use of '-' and '--' for option specifiers.  Windows
uses just a single '/', just like VMS and TOPS-10.  Both OS's were around long
before UNiX/LinUX but that didn't stop the developers from inventing their own
way of doing things.

Sometimes I think about writing my own OS which corrects these inequities but
I really just don't have the time...
</rant off>

cgf

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-17  7:12                           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-08-17  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Aug 16 18:38, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I think linux probably has some kind of /proc file option setting to
> understand drive letters.  Probably cygwin should emulate that.

As far as I know there's no such option.  It seems to me this is really
called for and somebody should implement it.  Along these lines there
should be another /proc option which finally allows Linux users to use
the beloved backslashes as path separators.  I can't understand why
Linus deliberately changed the path separator from backslash to slash,
thus undermining an industry standard.  Intolerable.

Corinna

--
If you see irony or sarcasm in this mail, don't tell the hippos.

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-16 22:38                         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-08-16 22:28                       ` Douglas Goodall
From: Douglas Goodall @ 2006-08-16 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> >What are you talking about.  Either you like Unix or you don't.  To the
> >best of my knowledge, FreeBSD doesn't have drive letters either.  Its
> >not the Unix way.  Your position astounds me ;-)
>
>I'm pretty sure that HP/UX understands drive letters, though.
>
>I have 30 years of experience in the computer industry so I am obviously
>right about this.
>
>cgf

This is where the IDD comes in I guess, Just because HP/UX may do it doesn't
make it worth
emulating. Thats my opinion, not based on 40 years of experience in the
computer industry,
but based on my experience since Unix Version 7.
dwg

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-16 22:17                     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-16 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-08-16 21:48                   ` Douglas Goodall
From: Douglas Goodall @ 2006-08-16 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

@ 2006-08-16 21:42                       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-16 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:32:05PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> Pipes between MS-DOS programs and Cygwin programs is actually one of
>>> the things that is a little tricky but it is not slated to go away.
>> Right... I was pretty sure no one was out to *actually* remove anything
>> like this, but I'm just paranoid enough to make sure. :-) Thanks.
>
> Hey, Corinna!  He actually believed me!
>
> Mwahaha  *cough* ha!
>
> Hmm.  Have to work on that one.

Heh. Need any pointers? My evil laugh isn't half bad...
"mwah-ha... Mwah-ha-hA... MWUU-HU-HOO-HOU-HUA-HA-HA-HAA" :-)

--
Matthew
vIMprove your life! Now on version 7!

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
@ 2006-08-16 21:37                     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-16 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-08-16 21:32                   ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-16 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:40:12PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Just to jump over to the other side here for a second...  I assume you
>> don't intend to ever make it /impossible/ to run DOS tools on Cygwin?
>> That IMO *would* be unacceptable and unrealistic.  But, of course,
>> that's what interface tools - like cygpath - are for.  IOW, the ability
>> to offer a "pure POSIX" environment is good, as long as it does not
>> preclude any communication whatsoever (no matter how clunky) with
>> Windows.
>
> No, we will always have some way of running and communicating with MS-DOS
> filenames.
>
> One thing I just added to cygwin recently is a warning which shows up
> the first time you use a MS-DOS path, though.  I am expecting that to be
> very popular!

Yup! But hey, *I'll* never see it... :-)

@ 2006-08-16 21:17                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-08-16 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

@ 2006-08-16 20:46                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-16 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

       [not found]             ` <20060816200428.GA27256@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2006-08-16 20:41               ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> And ^^^this^^^ is a perfect example of why this discussion is so
>>> frustrating.
>>>
>>> Does someone *really* have to tell you who was "maintaining the old
>>> patch"?  If you really need to be told this then you really don't have
>>> the right to an opinion on this subject at all since you clearly haven't
>>> been paying any attention.
>> I think you are all to knowledgeable about cygwin and should step back
>> and think about people that use Cygwin as a black box and understand
>> absolutely nothing about it or it's development process. The frustration
>
> This has nothing to do with Cygwin's development process.  Cygwin is a
> POSIX environment after all.  It's one of if's design targets to get rid
> of the DOS paths.  People using Cygwin with DOS paths are using Cygwin
> for something it was not designed for.  This whole complaint comes up
> because people are using Cygwin in a non-standard way.  I'm wondering
> why nobody complains that Linux doesn't understand drive letters.

Well, the obvious answer is because Linux doesn't *have* drive letters. ;-)

>> you are expressing is understandable to me. However, with a little
>> managerial effort on your part, you could use your knowledge (if you so
>> choose) to help the rest of us organize a productive way to develop a
>> patch to the upstream make. I thought Corinna spoke very well on this
>> matter, and is why I even bothered responding to this list.
>
> Maybe you got me wrong.  I have a very strange feeling about getting
> told my point of view would be right, while in the same sentence you're
> kicking cgf's ass.  Just for the records: My design goals for Cygwin
> are that it works fine as a POSIX environment, not that it works fine
> to run DOS tools.  That's a nice side-effect at best.

Just to jump over to the other side here for a second... I assume you
don't intend to ever make it /impossible/ to run DOS tools on Cygwin?
That IMO *would* be unacceptable and unrealistic. But, of course, that's
what interface tools - like cygpath - are for. IOW, the ability to offer
a "pure POSIX" environment is good, as long as it does not preclude any
communication whatsoever (no matter how clunky) with Windows.

I think I've made my position on the 'make' decision known; I have
absolutely no problems with it, and I support it. Just as long as I can
still pipe between DOS and Cygwin applications(*), share file systems,
and have something like 'cygpath', Cygwin can (and should) be as
POSIX-like as it wants. :-)

(* Interix is even worse, here! For pipes to work, you have to call all
DOS programs from an Interix wrapper program! ...but even that is
acceptable because it still *can* be done.)

--

@ 2006-08-16 19:19               ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 01:20:55PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> And ^^^this^^^ is a perfect example of why this discussion is so
>>> frustrating.
>>>
>>> Does someone *really* have to tell you who was "maintaining the old
>>> patch"?  If you really need to be told this then you really don't have
>>> the right to an opinion on this subject at all since you clearly haven't
>>> been paying any attention.
>> I think someone needs to read http://isbn.nu/0671723650
>> ...I'm sure something about "paying attention" is mentioned. :-D
>>
>> (Sorry, I just COULDN'T resist :-D.)
>
> Hey, for a second, I thought this was directed towards me (since I am
> just counting the seconds until that happens) but I actually think this
> was directed to my good friend Bob, right?
>
> Or am *I* missing something obvious?  I would almost prefer it if I was.
> The alternative is just too mind-bogglingly >deleted<.

Yup, at Bob. DEFINITELY at Bob. I almost re-posted (and I don't mean on
-talk) when I saw his reply to your message. :-)

Now I wonder what that was that you deleted...

--

@ 2006-08-16 18:45             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-16 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

       [not found]         ` <20060816180659.GA5064@trixie.casa.cgf.cx>
@ 2006-08-16 18:21           ` mwoehlke
       [not found]           ` <20060816181709.GB7538@brasko.net>
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-16 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

@ 2006-08-16  0:51               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-16  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 06:57:16PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>...or offer money. That carries more weight than complaining. :-)
>>>
>>>However that doesn't work in all cases. This I am reasonably confident
>>>is one of them. But as a general rule...
>>
>>No, it would work in this case, but I hesitate to name my price since
>>it will surely make me sound even more evil.
>
>Ok, I thought I'd heard somewhere in a thread on this topic that you
>wouldn't do it for $$ in this instance. Apologies if my memory is
>faulty. :-)

I don't remember making that statement but I guess it is possible that
I did.

cgf

* Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81
       [not found]           ` <20060815230423.GC6297@trixie.casa.cgf.cx>
@ 2006-08-15 23:57             ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-15 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk