* Not getting login using xdmcp
@ 2003-12-30  1:43 Andrew DeFaria
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-12-30  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Now that Christmas is over I'd like to address this problem again. Let's
recap.

I have a SuSE 8.2 installation. I am attempting to use Cygwin/XFree86 to
start an X session using XDMCP. XDMCP is not on by default so I have
performed the following changes:

    * Enabled XDMCP in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc by setting
      "Enable=true" for the [Xdmcp] section.
    * Modified /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config to comment out
      DisplayManager.requestPort by putting a "!" in the first character.
    * Uncommented the "*" line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and
      /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xaccess. Note there are two different
      lines in each file. The difference seems to be one is of the form
      of "* CHOOSER BROADCAST" and just the plain "*". I've tried all
      combinations to no avail.
    * I have only one NIC.
    * I've tried xwin -query sonslinux -from adefaria, same problem.
    * Sonslinux sits right next to me and I can login using KDE just
      fine on the console - I just can't get a remote X session from my
      XP box to put up a chooser.
    * XWin.log always seems to indicate "XDM: too many retransmissions"
      as the problem (Sample XWin.log attached). Note that XDM: too many
      retransmissions only shows up after waiting for a while.
    * Nothing listed in /var/log/messages nor /var/log/kdm.log on sonslinux.

In all cases, after making a configuration change I restart kdm.

Help!
--
11th commandment - Covet not thy neighbor's Pentium.

[-- Attachment #2: XWin.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2783 bytes --]

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1600 h: 1200
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1600 h: 1200
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 1126 1600
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 1126 1600
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1594 h 1095 r 1594 l 0 b 1095 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Creating primary surface
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Created primary surface
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Attached clipper to primary surface
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 6376
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow pitch: 6376
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow stride: 1594
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
InitOutput - Returning.
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 797 547
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
winDeinitClipboard - Noting shutdown in progress
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
winDeinitClipboard - Noting shutdown in progress
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

* Re: Not getting login using xdmcp
@ 2003-12-30  7:47 ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2003-12-30  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I had a similar problem last summer with SUSE 8.2 and then current
cygwin/XFree86.

In my case I upgraded to a then current cygwin/XFree86 setup.

   XDMCP seemed broken

2 weeks later I upgraded again.  (Several related updates.)

   XDMCP was working

I have since upgraded to SUSE 9.0, so I can't tell you for sure how I
had things configured.

If I were you I would start out by making sure you have the current
release of everything cygwin/XFree86.

@ 2003-12-30 14:08 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-30 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew,

Did you see my email about the Internet Connection Firewall?  Check out
this email:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-12/msg00318.html

Let me know if any of those things applies.

Harold

@ 2003-12-31  2:16   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-12-31  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Did you see my email about the Internet Connection Firewall?  Check
> out this email:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-12/msg00318.html
>
> Let me know if any of those things applies.

Hmmm... Didn't see my reply show up. I'm not using ICF. Both machines
are on the same subnet. I can start X with xwin -noreset then do xhost
+. Then I can ssh into the Linux box and set DISPLAY to adefaria:0.0 and
start X clients like xclock and konqueror, etc with no problems.

> [...]
>> primary keyboard configured
>> (==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
>> Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)"
>> Options = "(null)"
>> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
>> removing from list!
>> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
>> removing from list!
>> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
>> removing from list!
>> winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 797 547
>> winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
>> winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
>> winDeinitClipboard - Noting shutdown in progress
>> winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
>> winDeinitClipboard - Noting shutdown in progress
>> winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

SENILE.COM found . . . Out Of Memory . . .

* Re: Not getting login using xdmcp
@ 2003-12-31 15:09 ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2003-12-31 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dear Andrew,

It seems you have configured it careful enough.  It looks
so hard to figure out problems.

I found an article which might be similar to your problem.
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-xfree86/2003-Jul/0003.html
Does it help?

Takuma Murakami (murakami@ipl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp)

@ 2003-12-23 19:25             ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2003-12-23 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Sorry for the wrong info.
In my previous mail quoted below, all "comment out"
must be "uncomment".

@ 2003-12-23 16:21           ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2003-12-23 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-12-23 11:41           ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-23 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew,

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>> Andrew,
>>
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>
>>> I have a similar problem. This is with a SuSE 8.2 installation. I had
>>> Mandrake 9.1 installed before and managed to get XDMCP working. Can't
>>> get it working with SuSE however and I'm pulling my hair out!
>>>
>>> I have nothing in my /var/log/messages nor /var/log/kdm.log files.
>>> I'm using:
>>>
>>> $ xwin -query sonslinux -from adefaria
>>>
>>> X comes up but no login dialog box. XWin.log is attached.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>> How many network interfaces do you have?
>

> 1

How about third-party (not from Microsoft) VPN or firewall software?

Also, do you have Windows XP with the SP2 beta that was announced a few
days ago?  The SP2 beta may cause problems; I don't recommend using it
until we have had a chance to look at it.

>> Find out the IP address of the interface that is actually
>> communicating with sonslinux and make sure to specify that IP address
>> in the -from parameter.  If you give it the wrong IP, it will cause
>> the XDM serve to be unable to send messages back to XWin.exe
>

> Retried it with my IP address. Same problem.

Okay.

>>> XDM: too many retransmissions
>>

>> This is your key log message from XWin.log.  The XDM support in
>> XWin.exe is generic to all X Servers, so you can google for this
>> message and try to find some help there.  My guess is that you either
>> have a problem with the return address being incorrect (as I talk
>> about above), or one of the following:
>>
>> 1) You have not enabled an XDM server on your Linux machine followed
>> by a restart.
>

> I have (an aside, my understanding is that XDMCP runs on port 177. I try
> to telnet to port 177 and get connection refused. Guess this is not
> good). As you probably know XDMCP is not enabled by default. I have
> changed the config files to allow it (at least I think I have) and have
> not only restarted kdm but have rebooted the machine to no avail.

No, telnetting to port 177 will always fail.  Telnet connects to TCP
ports; XDMCP listens on UDP port 177, not TCP port 177.  These are
different ports and different protocols.

Your second point is interesting.  Have you confirmed that the graphical
XDM login screen is showing on your server?  When you do a "ps | grep
xdm", "ps | grep gdm", and "ps | grep kdm", does either of them return a
matching process that is running?  If not, then you don't have one of
the display managers running, which indicates a problem.

>> 2) You could also just not be running you linux machine at the correct
>> run level, which would cause the XDM server to not even be started.
>

> Sonslinux sits right next to me. I am logged into a kde session right
> now so I assume I'm at the proper run level.

Yes, but how did you login?  Did you login at a text prompt, then run
startkde, or did you have a full-screen graphical login application
(such as kdm)?

>> 3) You have not enabled remote XDMCP connections for the XDM server
>> that you are running (followed by a restart):
>>
>> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-mandrake-8.1-xdmcp
>>

>> NOTE: The fact that the above link says "Mandrake" can be ignored...
>> it was originally written when Mandrake started defaulting XDMCP to
>> being disabled, which was closely followed by my realizing that almost
>> all distributions started doing this.
>

> Yes. Let me read that and see what I find... (BTW this page answers my
> soon to be next question of why I can't XDMCP to the Solaris box - Need
> to use a font server! Thanks. BTW that XWin.log file may have been from
> my attempt to XDMCP to the Solaris box. I've attached a new XWin.log).
>
> Enabled XDMCP in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (SuSE 8.2 - it's not
> listed in your table -perhaps you would like to update that).

Yup, they only get listed if someone tells me where it is.  You told me,
so I updated it.

> Note I also found the following in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
>
> ! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
> ! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
> !
> !DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

This was probably not needed.  Once you change that line to enable
XDMCP, the defaults for mosts distributions allow you to get a login
screen from all remote machines.

> And as you can see I have commented that out. Both of these actions I
> have done a few days ago and have since restarted kdm and even rebooted
> sonslinux but the problem remains. This is why I'm pulling my hair out!

You are sure that you are running kdm, right?  You could be running gdm,
in which case the kdmrc file would have no effect.

> Additionally I made sure the following appears in
> /opt/kde3/share/config/Xaccess and /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess:
>
> # The nicest way to run the chooser is to just ask it to broadcast
> # requests to the network - that way new hosts show up automatically.
> # Sometimes, however, the chooser can't figure out how to broadcast,
> # so this may not work in all environments.
> #
>
> *               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a
> chooser

That should not be needed.  You might have goofed something up here.
The default values allow any machine to get a login screen.

> Oh, BTW your link for Linux XDMCP HOWTO
> (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/) when clicked yeilds:
>
> Note:   You are trying to access The Linux Documentation Project website
> using an old (and unsupported) URL. Please update your bookmarks to use
> www.tldp.org <http://www.tldp.org> or en.tldp.org <http://en.tldp.org>
> (if you just need the English documentation). Click to go directly to
> the page you requested: http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/

Thanks.  I fixed it.

The log file you sent doesn't seem to have anything useful in it.

Harold

* Re: not getting login using xdmcp
@ 2003-12-23  7:26         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-12-23  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> [...]

Additionally I made sure the following appears in
/opt/kde3/share/config/Xaccess and /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess:

# The nicest way to run the chooser is to just ask it to broadcast
# requests to the network - that way new hosts show up automatically.
# Sometimes, however, the chooser can't figure out how to broadcast,
# so this may not work in all environments.
#

*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

Oh, BTW your link for Linux XDMCP HOWTO
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/) when clicked yeilds:

Note:   You are trying to access The Linux Documentation Project website
using an old (and unsupported) URL. Please update your bookmarks to use
www.tldp.org <http://www.tldp.org> or en.tldp.org <http://en.tldp.org>
(if you just need the English documentation). Click to go directly to
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.

@ 2003-12-23  5:45       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-23  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew,

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> I have a similar problem. This is with a SuSE 8.2 installation. I had
> Mandrake 9.1 installed before and managed to get XDMCP working. Can't
> get it working with SuSE however and I'm pulling my hair out!
>
> I have nothing in my /var/log/messages nor /var/log/kdm.log files. I'm
> using:
>
> $ xwin -query sonslinux -from adefaria
>
> X comes up but no login dialog box. XWin.log is attached.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

How many network interfaces do you have?  Find out the IP address of the

@ 2003-12-23  5:04     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-12-23  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 baileymason@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>> Xwin -query hostname -nodecoration -lesspointer
>>>
>>> to get me to a login have not been successful. The server
>>> (192.168.1.2) seems to respond as in this dump
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this sequence isn't generating errors to
>>> xdm-error.log. I'm thinking that either there is an xdm
>>> configuration setting or Xwin option that I don't have set up. I've
>>> tried the -from and -port options with no affect.
>>
>> what about /tmp/XWin.log? Have you already tried the -from <localip>
>> parameter?
>>
>> bye
>> ago
>

> Also check /var/log/messages on the RedHat machine for any error
> messages from [gkx]dm.
> Igor

I have a similar problem. This is with a SuSE 8.2 installation. I had
Mandrake 9.1 installed before and managed to get XDMCP working. Can't
get it working with SuSE however and I'm pulling my hair out!

I have nothing in my /var/log/messages nor /var/log/kdm.log files. I'm
using:

$ xwin -query sonslinux -from adefaria

X comes up but no login dialog box. XWin.log is attached.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

[-- Attachment #2: XWin.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2813 bytes --]

@ 2003-12-18  1:17   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-12-18  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 baileymason@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Xwin -query hostname -nodecoration -lesspointer
> >
> > to get me to a login have not been successful. The server (192.168.1.2)
> > seems to respond as in this dump
> >
> > Unfortunately this sequence isn't generating errors to xdm-error.log.
> > I'm thinking that either there is an xdm configuration setting or Xwin
> > option that I don't have set up. I've tried the -from and -port options
> > with no affect.
>
> what about /tmp/XWin.log? Have you already tried the -from <localip>
> parameter?
>
> bye
>         ago

Also check /var/log/messages on the RedHat machine for any error messages
from [gkx]dm.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: not getting login using xdmcp
@ 2003-12-17 14:53 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-12-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 baileymason@comcast.net wrote:

> Xwin -query hostname -nodecoration -lesspointer
>
> to get me to a login have not been successful. The server (192.168.1.2)
> seems to respond as in this dump
>
> Unfortunately this sequence isn't generating errors to xdm-error.log.
> I'm thinking that either there is an xdm configuration setting or Xwin
> option that I don't have set up. I've tried the -from and -port options
> with no affect.

what about /tmp/XWin.log? Have you already tried the -from <localip>
parameter?

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* not getting login using xdmcp
@ 2003-12-17 13:00 baileymason
From: baileymason @ 2003-12-17 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I've configured my RH9 to respond to xdmcp and have even successfully
tested it with another xserver. But my attempts at getting the cygwin
startxdmcp.bat command

Xwin -query hostname -nodecoration -lesspointer

to get me to a login have not been successful. The server (192.168.1.2)
seems to respond as in this dump

initation of startxdmcp
21:43:42.670753 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 7
21:43:42.835538 192.168.1.2.xdmcp > 192.168.1.132.1061: udp 84 (DF)
21:43:52.813260 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 66
21:43:52.814046 192.168.1.2.xdmcp > 192.168.1.132.1061: udp 52 (DF)
21:43:52.829619 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 29
21:44:06.258146 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 29
21:44:10.260849 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 29
21:44:18.266102 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 29
21:44:34.269619 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 29
21:45:06.271426 192.168.1.132.1061 > 192.168.1.2.xdmcp: udp 29
21:45:07.918032 192.168.1.2.xdmcp > 192.168.1.132.1061: udp 79 (DF)
root cygwin window closes

Unfortunately this sequence isn't generating errors to xdm-error.log.
I'm thinking that either there is an xdm configuration setting or Xwin
option that I don't have set up. I've tried the -from and -port options
with no affect.

Any advise is appreciated

-John