* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-09  9:36 Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-09-09  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to

   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

Changes compared to 2.875:

- Refuse to run on Windows XP/2003 and earlier, as they are no longer
supported by Cygwin.

- Fix the code for C++11 std::string, which was the underlying issue
causing an error with a root install path of more than 15 characters.

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-10  5:57 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2016-09-10  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to [...]

The change from a button to a dropdown list for the View seems like a
nice usability improvement, but it sadly takes away my main method of
changing the view -- I used to always press Alt-V to cycle the View
button.  It was actually a really nice way to do updates without using
the mouse at all: keep pressing enter until the package-search page
comes up, press Alt-V twice, review the list of updatable packages,
and press enter again to begin installing.  Perhaps someone could bind
Alt-V to dropping down the view list? (Similar to how the S in Search
is underlined to indicate that Alt-S takes you to the search box.)

..wayne..

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-10 17:07   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-09-10 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.09.2016 um 07:57 schrieb Wayne Davison:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to [...]
> The change from a button to a dropdown list for the View seems like a
> nice usability improvement,
I disagree with that, because what I want to check first is the Pending
view, to see what's supposed to be updated anyway. This is more fiddly
now than it was. Perhaps separate buttons (radio buttons) for the views
would be best.
------
Thomas

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-10 18:00     ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2016-09-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sep 10, 2016, at 12:07 PM, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
>
> Am 10.09.2016 um 07:57 schrieb Wayne Davison:
>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to [...]
>> The change from a button to a dropdown list for the View seems like a
>> nice usability improvement,
> I disagree with that, because what I want to check first is the Pending view, to see what's supposed to be updated anyway. This is more fiddly now than it was. Perhaps separate buttons (radio buttons) for the views would be best.

I disagree with that. A dropdown list is exactly the right treatment for a list o’ things.
But, and I realize SHTDI, and that someone is not me, perhaps a “for the future” item would be a way to specify which view to start on, either through a command line option or through a kept choice.

I also agree with OP’s request for a hotkey on View, although standard behavior of such a hotkey would be to position the cursor in the dropdown and open it, not automatically choose the “next” item in the dropdown. I can see the benefit of the latter, though.

But, more importantly (for me, anyway), can we please put the dropdown in the tab list? Tabbing out of the pick list goes to the Search text box, as it should. Shift-tabbing from the Search text box to go back to the Dropdown, however, instead goes to the Cancel button at the bottom of the page. If we can tab out of it, we should be able to tab (or shift-tab) back into it.

Finally, a question — what is “Picked”? It wasn’t one of the previous choices, and I can’t figure out what it’s supposed to represent.
I have seven items on that page, all of which say “Keep”, and which in no way represents all of what I’ve installed. I have nothing on Pending, having updated in my previous session. (Even then, I only had one thing to update, but still had the same seven items on “Picked”.) I thought it might be things that setup “picked” for me based on the choices I’ve made, but that doesn’t appear to be true, either, based on the above — not only am I not installing anything, but all of the items say “Keep”.

On the pedantic side, why is “Category” the starting view, but the last item in the dropdown?

Thanks for tackling setup, Jon. From all reports here it’s something of a nightmare. :)

* RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-12 12:37 ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2016-09-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Yaakov Selkowitz

> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to
>
>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

Not a biggie, but thought I'd mention that when I installed
the new 64-bit version through my bash script (using wget),
on launching it Windows complained that permissions were
out of order and that I didn't have permission to run it.

Deleting that download and installing the normal way through
the web page worked just fine.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-12 12:55       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-09-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/09/2016 19:00, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 2016, at 12:07 PM, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
>> Am 10.09.2016 um 07:57 schrieb Wayne Davison:
>>> The change from a button to a dropdown list for the View seems
>>> like a nice usability improvement,
>> I disagree with that, because what I want to check first is the
>> Pending view, to see what's supposed to be updated anyway. This is
>> more fiddly now than it was. Perhaps separate buttons (radio
>> buttons) for the views would be best.

There's been some discussion of making "Pending" the default view, or
the default view if this isn't a new install.

But this basically boils down to reading the user's mind to guess if
they ran setup to update or install a new package.

We can speculate about which of these scenarios is more common and
therefore what is a suitable default.

> I disagree with that. A dropdown list is exactly the right treatment
> for a list o’ things. But, and I realize SHTDI, and that someone is
> not me, perhaps a “for the future” item would be a way to specify
> which view to start on, either through a command line option or
> through a kept choice.
>
> I also agree with OP’s request for a hotkey on View, although
> standard behavior of such a hotkey would be to position the cursor in
> the dropdown and open it, not automatically choose the “next” item in
> the dropdown. I can see the benefit of the latter, though.

The removal of Alt-V shortcut was not intentional, I'll fix that.

> But, more importantly (for me, anyway), can we please put the
> dropdown in the tab list? Tabbing out of the pick list goes to the
> Search text box, as it should. Shift-tabbing from the Search text box
> to go back to the Dropdown, however, instead goes to the Cancel
> button at the bottom of the page. If we can tab out of it, we should
> be able to tab (or shift-tab) back into it.

Hmm... yes, for some reason this control was never marked to be on the
list of tabstops, which is a bit more obvious now.

> Finally, a question — what is “Picked”? It wasn’t one of the previous
> choices, and I can’t figure out what it’s supposed to represent. I
> have seven items on that page, all of which say “Keep”, and which in
> no way represents all of what I’ve installed. I have nothing on
> Pending, having updated in my previous session. (Even then, I only
> had one thing to update, but still had the same seven items on
> “Picked”.) I thought it might be things that setup “picked” for me
> based on the choices I’ve made, but that doesn’t appear to be true,
> either, based on the above — not only am I not installing anything,
> but all of the items say “Keep”.

This is described in the 2.875 announce mail, and in the tooltip as
"Picked: Show installed packages that were selected, not installed as a
dependency"

For existing installations, this is initially populated using some
guesswork (all non-base installed packages which aren't dependencies),
but should be accurately tracked going forward.

"Picked" is an unfortunate bit of leakage of setup's internal
terminology.  If you have a better idea of what to call this view, I'd
be glad to hear it.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-12 14:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-09-12 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nellis, Kenneth, cygwin

Greetings, Nellis, Kenneth!

>> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to
>>
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

> Not a biggie, but thought I'd mention that when I installed
> the new 64-bit version through my bash script (using wget),
> on launching it Windows complained that permissions were
> out of order and that I didn't have permission to run it.

> Deleting that download and installing the normal way through
> the web page worked just fine.

This is to be expected, if you've downloaded the file into Cygwin ACL-enforced
directory.
You'll have to explicitly +x it to be able to execute the file.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-12 14:53     ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2016-09-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Andrey Repin
> Greetings, Nellis, Kenneth!
>
> >> A new version of Setup, release 2.876, has been uploaded to
> >>
> >>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
> >>    https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)

> > Not a biggie, but thought I'd mention that when I installed
> > the new 64-bit version through my bash script (using wget),
> > on launching it Windows complained that permissions were
> > out of order and that I didn't have permission to run it.
>
> > Deleting that download and installing the normal way through
> > the web page worked just fine.
>
> This is to be expected, if you've downloaded the file into Cygwin ACL-
> enforced
> directory.
> You'll have to explicitly +x it to be able to execute the file.

Uh, I don't think my directory is "Cygwin ACL-enforced", but how
would I know? It's just my regular Windows download folder (under
C:\Users), which is separate from my Cygwin stuff (C:\cygwin\home).

Again, not a biggie, but a curiosity.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup.exe (Release 2.876)
@ 2016-09-12 15:05       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-09-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nellis, Kenneth, cygwin

Greetings, Nellis, Kenneth!

>> This is to be expected, if you've downloaded the file into Cygwin ACL-
>> enforced
>> directory.
>> You'll have to explicitly +x it to be able to execute the file.

> Uh, I don't think my directory is "Cygwin ACL-enforced", but how
> would I know? It's just my regular Windows download folder (under
> C:\Users), which is separate from my Cygwin stuff (C:\cygwin\home).

> Again, not a biggie, but a curiosity.

Run mount and see the flags. But unless you specifically told Cygwin to noacl
the /cygdrive, it will try to enforce POSIX-like ACL on files for all
operations.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2016-09-12 15:11       ` Massimo Balestra
From: Massimo Balestra @ 2016-09-12 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I made a batch script that, when needed, downloads the new setup.exe
with wget, changes the permissions and then executes it.

This is my bat script.

cd C:\cygwin64Install
move setup-x86_64.exe setup-x86_64.exe.old
c:\cygwin64\bin\wget.exe http://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
icacls setup-x86_64.exe /t /grant my-pc\\\\my-name:F
icacls setup-x86_64.exe  /remove "NULL SID"
icacls setup-x86_64.exe  /remove "Everyone"
setup-x86_64.exe

----------------------------------

It works, I suggest you to do the same.

replace my-pc and my-name with yours

Have fun

Massimo

@ 2016-09-12 20:53         ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2016-09-12 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Massimo Balestra

> I made a batch script that, when needed, downloads the new setup.exe
> with wget, changes the permissions and then executes it.
>
> This is my bat script.

> cd C:\cygwin64Install
> move setup-x86_64.exe setup-x86_64.exe.old
> c:\cygwin64\bin\wget.exe http://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
> icacls setup-x86_64.exe /t /grant my-pc\\\\my-name:F
> icacls setup-x86_64.exe  /remove "NULL SID"
> icacls setup-x86_64.exe  /remove "Everyone"
> setup-x86_64.exe

> It works, I suggest you to do the same.
>
> replace my-pc and my-name with yours

Thanx, for that, and good to know, but since I already have
a bash script, it is simpler just to add "chmod +x"
(thanx to Andrey).

--Ken Nellis