* -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30  6:57 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-03-30  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

How hard would an alias to -mno-cygwin of -mmingw be? If we're using
mingw libraries and headers,we might get less "why doesn't -mno-cygwin
let me use unix feature questions".

Then again, maybe not

Rob

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30  7:20 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-30  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

> How hard would an alias to -mno-cygwin of -mmingw be? If we're using
> mingw libraries and headers,we might get less "why doesn't -mno-cygwin
> let me use unix feature questions".

Not hard.  I've done that before.  It's a substitution in one header
file of GCC.  Harder would be to allow both but still doable.  I've
thought about sending a patch to cygwin-apps for this but haven't wanted
to take the time to lobby for this yet.

Earnie.

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30  8:06 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-30  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:56:09AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>How hard would an alias to -mno-cygwin of -mmingw be? If we're using
>mingw libraries and headers,we might get less "why doesn't -mno-cygwin
>let me use unix feature questions".
>
>Then again, maybe not

Somehow I doubt it.  To rephrase the question:

"How come when I use the option to turn off the UNIX emulation support
I can't use UNIX features."

IMO, -mno-cygwin makes more sense than -mmingw.  Maybe a -mno-unix would
be clearer, though.

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30  9:22   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-30  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:56:09AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> >How hard would an alias to -mno-cygwin of -mmingw be? If we're using
> >mingw libraries and headers,we might get less "why doesn't -mno-cygwin
> >let me use unix feature questions".
> >
> >Then again, maybe not
>
> Somehow I doubt it.  To rephrase the question:
>
> "How come when I use the option to turn off the UNIX emulation support
> I can't use UNIX features."
>
> IMO, -mno-cygwin makes more sense than -mmingw.  Maybe a -mno-unix would
> be clearer, though.

As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
even more sense.

Earnie.

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30 10:34     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-30 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:56:09AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>> >How hard would an alias to -mno-cygwin of -mmingw be? If we're using
>> >mingw libraries and headers,we might get less "why doesn't -mno-cygwin
>> >let me use unix feature questions".
>> >
>> >Then again, maybe not
>>
>> Somehow I doubt it.  To rephrase the question:
>>
>> "How come when I use the option to turn off the UNIX emulation support
>> I can't use UNIX features."
>>
>> IMO, -mno-cygwin makes more sense than -mmingw.  Maybe a -mno-unix would
>> be clearer, though.
>>

>As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
>even more sense.

Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.

Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30 10:50     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-03-30 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:56:09AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > >How hard would an alias to -mno-cygwin of -mmingw be? If we're using
> > >mingw libraries and headers,we might get less "why doesn't -mno-cygwin
> > >let me use unix feature questions".
> > >
> > >Then again, maybe not
> >
> > Somehow I doubt it.  To rephrase the question:
> >
> > "How come when I use the option to turn off the UNIX emulation support
> > I can't use UNIX features."
> >
> > IMO, -mno-cygwin makes more sense than -mmingw.  Maybe a -mno-unix would
> > be clearer, though.
> >

> As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
> even more sense.

I like it.  (as long as -mcygwin is the default, of course)...

--Chuck

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30 12:01       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-30 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Somehow I doubt it.  To rephrase the question:
> >>
> >> "How come when I use the option to turn off the UNIX emulation support
> >> I can't use UNIX features."
> >>
> >> IMO, -mno-cygwin makes more sense than -mmingw.  Maybe a -mno-unix would
> >> be clearer, though.
> >>

> >As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
> >even more sense.
>
> Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.
>
> Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
> cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.

I expect that know one knows anything except perhaps the creator and
that can be said to be questionable?! ;^)  Why doesn't -mno-cygwin mean
that no runtime is supplied at all and I have to supply my own?  As you
can see "no-cygwin" is "just a string of characters".  It has no more
meaning than msvcrt or crtdll and is in fact less descriptive.

Earnie.

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30 12:39         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-30 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:00:57PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.
>>
>> Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
>> cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.
>
>I expect that know one knows anything except perhaps the creator and
>that can be said to be questionable?! ;^)  Why doesn't -mno-cygwin mean
>that no runtime is supplied at all and I have to supply my own?  As you
>can see "no-cygwin" is "just a string of characters".  It has no more
>meaning than msvcrt or crtdll and is in fact less descriptive.

Presumably, if someone downloaded the Cygwin package they would be able
to infer that an option with "no" and "cygwin" in the name might, just
possibly, produce an executable that doesn't rely on cygwin.  So, if
they stumbled across this option in some mailing list discussion or
other they might stand a chance of doing the right thing.

The original proposal was that we have a -mmingw switch.  That would
presume that a person who wanted to produce a binary that didn't rely
on cygwin would find -mmingw more intuitive.  I don't think that a
naive user who stumbles upon a switch named "-mmingw" is going to
be more apt to think "Aha!  That must produce native windows apps!"

This applies to -mmsvcrt and -mcrtdll as well.  What's a msv?  What's
a crt?  Why would I care?

If you are proposing that it would be a nice convenience to have these
options for people who know what they mean, I certainly wouldn't argue.
I just don't see how you can assert that they would make things easier
to understand.

The bottom line is that, IMO, if you have to do research to figure out
the right option to use, then it really doesn't matter all that much
what the option is called.  Given this, IMO, the one thing that does
make sense, is to stick with what has historically been used.  For this
reason, I think that nuking -mno-cygwin is apt to cause more confusion
than it saves.

cgf

P.S. Btw, -mcygwin is a valid switch.

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30 13:56           ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-30 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The bottom line is that, IMO, if you have to do research to figure out
> the right option to use, then it really doesn't matter all that much
> what the option is called.  Given this, IMO, the one thing that does
> make sense, is to stick with what has historically been used.  For this
> reason, I think that nuking -mno-cygwin is apt to cause more confusion
> than it saves.

I agree with this.  It is one of the reasons I haven't lobbied for a
change.

> cgf
>
> P.S. Btw, -mcygwin is a valid switch.

I knew this too.

Earnie.

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-30 18:41           ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2001-03-30 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

On 30 Mar 2001, at 15:39, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:00:57PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of
> >> characters.
> >>
> >> Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other
> >> than cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to
> >> confusion.
> >
> >I expect that know one knows anything except perhaps the creator and
> >that can be said to be questionable?! ;^)  Why doesn't -mno-cygwin mean
> >that no runtime is supplied at all and I have to supply my own?  As you
> >can see "no-cygwin" is "just a string of characters".  It has no more
> >meaning than msvcrt or crtdll and is in fact less descriptive.
>
> Presumably, if someone downloaded the Cygwin package they would be able
> to infer that an option with "no" and "cygwin" in the name might, just
> possibly, produce an executable that doesn't rely on cygwin.  So, if
> they stumbled across this option in some mailing list discussion or
> other they might stand a chance of doing the right thing.
>
> The original proposal was that we have a -mmingw switch.  That would
> presume that a person who wanted to produce a binary that didn't rely on
> cygwin would find -mmingw more intuitive.  I don't think that a naive
> user who stumbles upon a switch named "-mmingw" is going to be more apt
> to think "Aha!  That must produce native windows apps!"
>
> This applies to -mmsvcrt and -mcrtdll as well.  What's a msv?  What's a
> crt?  Why would I care?
>
> If you are proposing that it would be a nice convenience to have these
> options for people who know what they mean, I certainly wouldn't argue.
> I just don't see how you can assert that they would make things easier
> to understand.
>
> The bottom line is that, IMO, if you have to do research to figure out
> the right option to use, then it really doesn't matter all that much
> what the option is called.  Given this, IMO, the one thing that does
> make sense, is to stick with what has historically been used.  For this
> reason, I think that nuking -mno-cygwin is apt to cause more confusion
> than it saves.

	At this point I agree...I don't think I need to point out the innate
confusion that exists when using the -mno-cygwin switch, as that has
been amply covered.

	What I would point out is that, regardless of what switch might exist
(or be named, etc.), there will still be that innate confusion.

	Of course, ideally (at least to me), I would consider a "-mnon-
cygwin", "-mnon-posix" or '-mnon-unix" switch to represent basically
the same thing...the specifics of course would have to be added...and
then, if you add everything, you are now looking at using a gcc command
line invoked cross-compiler (this is _not_ pretty), as opposed to a
standard compiler...granted it's a mess any way you look at it...

	So, retaining the -mno-cygwin, for much the same basic reasons that
Chris F suggests is, as far as I am concerned the better choice -- to
nuke the "-mno-cygwin" switch, imho, would be a mistake.

	Anyway, there's my two-cents worth...

	Peace,

		Paul G.

> cgf
>
> P.S. Btw, -mcygwin is a valid switch.
>
> --

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-31  9:07       ` Art Povelones
From: Art Povelones @ 2001-03-31  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 01:34 PM 3/30/01 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
>>even more sense.
>
>Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.
>
>Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
>cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.

This newbie's strong "vote" or urging would be for -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and
-mmsvcrt.  It just makes more sense to me and this way I immediately know
what I don't know.  I'm also less intimidated by sets of things than
inverse sets.

Art Povelones

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-03-31 10:00         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-31 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 12:08:04PM -0500, Art Povelones wrote:
>At 01:34 PM 3/30/01 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>>As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
>>>even more sense.
>>
>>Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.
>>
>>Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
>>cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.
>
>This newbie's strong "vote" or urging would be for -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and
>-mmsvcrt.  It just makes more sense to me and this way I immediately know
>what I don't know.  I'm also less intimidated by sets of things than
>inverse sets.

-mcygwin exists already.  Are you actually seriously asking that we tell
everyone who uses the cygwin versin of gcc that they have to use "gcc
-mcygwin"?  I must be misinterpretting something because that is pretty
crazy.

I'm not sure what you are talking about by "knowing what you don't
know".  Should I implement a -mkernel32 -muser32 -madvapi32, too?  It's
hard to know what you don't know, so I assume that this will be a pretty
comprehensive list.  Or maybe we just need a -mdwim.

If you are a "newbie" then I assume that you probably don't know what
"crtdll" or "msvcrt" stands for.  I'm not sure how adding switches to
accomodate stuff that you don't know about is going to be helpful.
Especially when it will require that you track down documentation for
gcc somewhere.

Again, I do not doubt that a -mmsvcrt could be useful for some people.
This thread started with suggestions about what would make things
"clearer".  It is my contention that these options will not help
in that regard and that -mno-cygwin should be pretty intuitively
obvious.  If -mno-cygwin is not obvious then I very sincerely doubt
that -mmsvcrt will be helpful.

Anyway, we can stop this theorizing about whether I'm going to add
-mmsvcrt or -mcrtdll.  I'm not going to do it.  Maybe someone will
provide a patch, though.  If so, I'll consider adding it.

cgf

* RE: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-09-05 17:30         ` Mike Bresnahan
From: Mike Bresnahan @ 2001-09-05 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Another option I found is the free Borland C++ compiler available at
http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/ .  It's not open source,
but it is free of charge.  However, it is not free of MS Visual C++
compatibility issues either.  It does seem to work fine from the cygwin bash
shell though.

Mike
----

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-09-05 14:52       ` Paul G.
From: Paul G. @ 2001-09-05 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4 Sep 2001 at 21:51, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> -mno-cygwin main.cc
> >> -L/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-mingw32msvc/2.95
> >>              ^^^
> >> Do not link with this.  A 'ls -l /usr/lib/libm.a' will probably
> >> show you why.
> >
> >Thanks.  Ok so which math library do I use then?
>
> I don't know.  I assume that you don't need any, however, that's a
> question for the mingw mailing list.  You probably should just try it
> without the -lm. It might just work.
>
> >Also I notice that the mingw32 math.h is missing asinf() and some
> >others, but perhaps that is a question for the mingw32 list.

> >> I don't know what this means.  Cygwin comes with a complete set of
> >> headers and libraries and it also includes fairly recent mingw
> >> headers and libraries, with the exception of libstdc++.a.
> >
> >Okay, I stand corrected.  It appears that the ANSI C++ headers are in
> >/usr/include/g++-3.  However I still need libstdc++.a, no?
>
> Actually, for -mno-cygwin, you *will* probably need the mingw g++-3
> versions.  If you are just using -mno-cygwin for ANSI C++ headers,
> though, then there is no reason to do that.
>
> So, to summarize:
>
> 1) Just removing -lm may work, unless you're using the cygwin version of
>    libstdc++.a.
>
> 2) Otherwise, you really do need the mingw header files an libstdc++.a
> if
>    you want to build with -mno-cygwin.  Just make sure that you are not
>    pulling in any cygwin libraries and you should be ok.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-09-04 18:51     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-04 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mbresnah

@ 2001-09-04 18:23   ` Mike Bresnahan
From: Mike Bresnahan @ 2001-09-04 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> >-- begin --
> >/usr/local/src/no-cygwin-bug: make
> >gcc -c -I/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/include/g++-3
> -mno-cygwin main.cc
> >gcc -I/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/include/g++-3 -mno-cygwin
> >main.o
> -L/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-mingw32msvc/2.95
> >.2 -lstdc++ -lm  -o main
>              ^^^
> Do not link with this.  A 'ls -l /usr/lib/libm.a' will probably
> show you why.

Thanks.  Ok so which math library do I use then?

Also I notice that the mingw32 math.h is missing asinf() and some others,
but perhaps that is a question for the mingw32 list.

> >Note that I have downloaded mingw32 and am pointing at its headers and
> >libraries, because cygwin is missing the ANSI C++ headers and libraries.
>
> I don't know what this means.  Cygwin comes with a complete set of headers
> and libraries and it also includes fairly recent mingw headers
> and libraries,
> with the exception of libstdc++.a.

Okay, I stand corrected.  It appears that the ANSI C++ headers are in
/usr/include/g++-3.  However I still need libstdc++.a, no?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

* RE: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-09-04 18:12   ` David Carter
From: David Carter @ 2001-09-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)',
	'Mike Bresnahan',
	cygwin

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

>AFAIK, -mno-cygwin only applies to C, not C++.

Not quite true. It would be more accurate to say "-mno-cygwin only WORKS
for C, not C++". It does apply it's "magic" (different include path, lib
paths) for g++.

However, as CGF noted in a separate response to the original posting,

>"Cygwin comes with a complete set of headers and libraries and it also
>includes fairly recent mingw headers and libraries, with the exception
of
>libstdc++.a."

Ergo, -mno-cygwin doesn't WORK for (most) C++ programs.

---
David Carter
david@carter.net

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-09-04 17:58 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Bresnahan, cygwin

At 10:54 PM 9/4/2001, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
>I am trying to compile and link an application with the Cygwin tools that
>does not depend on cygwin1.dll by passing -mno-cygwin to gcc, however the
>resulting executable is linked to cygwin1.dll.  Below is a log that
>illustrates the problem.
>
>-- begin --
>/usr/local/src/no-cygwin-bug: make
>gcc -c -I/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/include/g++-3 -mno-cygwin main.cc
>gcc -I/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/include/g++-3 -mno-cygwin
>main.o -L/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-mingw32msvc/2.95
>.2 -lstdc++ -lm  -o main
>/usr/local/src/no-cygwin-bug: cygcheck.exe main.exe
>Found: .\main.exe
>.\main.exe
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL
>   C:\WINNT\System32\msvcrt.dll
>
>Use -h to see help about each section
>-- end --
>
>Additionally, the resulting executable when executed goes into a endless
>loop before entering main().
>
>Note that I have downloaded mingw32 and am pointing at its headers and
>libraries, because cygwin is missing the ANSI C++ headers and libraries.
>
>Any help would be highly apprieciated.

AFAIK, -mno-cygwin only applies to C, not C++.

Larry

* Re: -mno-cygwin
@ 2001-09-04 17:54 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-04 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mbresnah

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:54:04PM -0700, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
>I am trying to compile and link an application with the Cygwin tools that
>does not depend on cygwin1.dll by passing -mno-cygwin to gcc, however the
>resulting executable is linked to cygwin1.dll.  Below is a log that
>illustrates the problem.
>
>-- begin --
>/usr/local/src/no-cygwin-bug: make
>gcc -c -I/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/include/g++-3 -mno-cygwin main.cc
>gcc -I/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/include/g++-3 -mno-cygwin
>main.o -L/usr/local/src/mingw32/gcc-2.95.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-mingw32msvc/2.95
>.2 -lstdc++ -lm  -o main
             ^^^

@ 2001-09-04 17:50 Mike Bresnahan
From: Mike Bresnahan @ 2001-09-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

Mike Bresnahan

* -mno-cygwin
@ 2000-07-03  7:22 Vladimir Dubrovin
From: Vladimir Dubrovin @ 2000-07-03  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello cygwin,

  -mnocigwin  still  not  working  in  distribution  because of bug in
  specs. After changing
   -iwithprefixbefore
  from   ../../../../mingw/include   to   ../../../../mingw32/include
  everything works OK.

   Vladimir Dubrovin                  Sandy, ISP
    Sandy CCd chief               Customers Care dept
  http://www.sandy.ru           Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

http://www.security.nnov.ru