* re. problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-09 16:56 Pieter Prinsloo
From: Pieter Prinsloo @ 2002-09-09 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi guys.

This must surely be the fastest fix ever.

Just downloaded and installed the bash-2.05b-5 update - which installed
gawk 3.1.1-3 - and Problem solved.

Thanks for all involved and any suggestions received..

We'll do some more testing - but first to sleep.

Kind regards

PS. And that schaap (sic) guy - with an incredible problem -
go bitch somewhere else ok!
 If goddamn signature slips in - at least be bloody civil - right!!

* Re: re. problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-10  2:16 ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2002-09-10  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pieter Prinsloo; +Cc: cygwin

On 10-9-2002 1:54, Pieter Prinsloo wrote:

> PS. And that schaap (sic) guy - with an incredible problem -
> go bitch somewhere else ok!
>  If goddamn signature slips in - at least be bloody civil - right!!

Good day to you too, sir...

It wasn't the signature that was bothering me - it was the format
itself.  Those IncrediCrap mails are sent in some weird non-standard
HTML format, which cause Mozilla to misbehave.
Also, sending mail to mailing lists in HTML format is generally
considered impolite.

Warmest regards,

  - Michael

* Re: re. problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-10  5:42   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-09-10  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schaap, Pieter Prinsloo; +Cc: cygwin

--- Michael Schaap <cygwin@mscha.org> wrote:
> On 10-9-2002 1:54, Pieter Prinsloo wrote:
>

> > PS. And that schaap (sic) guy - with an incredible problem -
> > go bitch somewhere else ok!
> >  If goddamn signature slips in - at least be bloody civil -
> right!!
>
> Good day to you too, sir...
>
> It wasn't the signature that was bothering me - it was the format
> itself.  Those IncrediCrap mails are sent in some weird
> non-standard
> HTML format, which cause Mozilla to misbehave.
> Also, sending mail to mailing lists in HTML format is generally
> considered impolite.

I completely agree!  It is totally unacceptable to send messages with
animated crap in it to the list.  In fact, while I'm at it I'm sick
of this corporate disclosure disclaimer bs.  People, please don't
send that crap here, it's a waste of space when we get 1 line of
content and 2 pages of disclosure crap.  It isn't that hard to pick
up the phone and yell at your IT personnel to cut that crap for
messages going to this list.  I'd even go so far as to suggest that
messages with such content be autofiltered as spam.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-10  6:41     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-09-10  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> In fact, while I'm at it I'm sick of this corporate disclosure
> disclaimer bs.  People, please don't send that crap here, it's a waste
> of space when we get 1 line of content and 2 pages of disclosure crap.
> It isn't that hard to pick up the phone and yell at your IT personnel to
> cut that crap for messages going to this list.

I agree.  If the company IT department is not cooperating, there's always
Yahoo! Mail... ;-)

> I'd even go so far as to suggest that messages with such content be
> autofiltered as spam.

Well, not to step on anyone's toes here, but I, for one, think that the
spam filter needs to be reconfigured.  I tried sending the screen
announcement ( http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00419.html )
SEVEN times yesterday, until it finally got through the spam filter, with
much cutting and rephrasing.  Adding more rules to the spam filter will
only increase the likelihood of rejecting legitimate postings.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file

* Re: problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-10  8:02       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:37:29AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>
>> In fact, while I'm at it I'm sick of this corporate disclosure
>> disclaimer bs.  People, please don't send that crap here, it's a waste
>> of space when we get 1 line of content and 2 pages of disclosure crap.
>> It isn't that hard to pick up the phone and yell at your IT personnel to
>> cut that crap for messages going to this list.
>
>I agree.  If the company IT department is not cooperating, there's always
>Yahoo! Mail... ;-)
>
>> I'd even go so far as to suggest that messages with such content be
>> autofiltered as spam.
>
>Well, not to step on anyone's toes here, but I, for one, think that the
>spam filter needs to be reconfigured.  I tried sending the screen
>announcement ( http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00419.html )
>SEVEN times yesterday, until it finally got through the spam filter, with
>much cutting and rephrasing.  Adding more rules to the spam filter will
>only increase the likelihood of rejecting legitimate postings.

Out of curiousity, how many times are you going to complain about this?

With any spam blocking mechanism there will occasionally be problems.
We get a vast amount of spam and 99.9999999% of the time the spam
blocker does a good job blocking it.

Your message was blocked because you sent a large binary encoded
attachment to the list which apparently had one or two phrases in it
that marked things as spam.

cgf

* Re: problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-10  8:23         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-09-10  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:37:29AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> >Well, not to step on anyone's toes here, but I, for one, think that the
> >spam filter needs to be reconfigured.  I tried sending the screen
> >announcement ( http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00419.html )
> >SEVEN times yesterday, until it finally got through the spam filter, with
> >much cutting and rephrasing.  Adding more rules to the spam filter will
> >only increase the likelihood of rejecting legitimate postings.
>
> Out of curiousity, how many times are you going to complain about this?

Only the two you saw - once in the announcement (sorry, I was frustrated),
and the second time here (it seemed relevant).

> With any spam blocking mechanism there will occasionally be problems.
> We get a vast amount of spam and 99.9999999% of the time the spam
> blocker does a good job blocking it.

Yes, it does, and thanks for setting it up and using it.

> Your message was blocked because you sent a large binary encoded
> attachment to the list which apparently had one or two phrases in it
> that marked things as spam.
>   cgf

With all due respect, I doubt it was the attachment.  That same attachment
was in the announcement that did come through.  I've also tried bzipping
it, with no luck.  I suspect it was something in the message text.  I'm
just trying to understand what happened to prevent this from happening
again.  This is probably off-topic, though, and certainly not for the
list.
	Igor
--

@ 2002-09-10 10:08           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-10 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:13:14AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:37:29AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>>Well, not to step on anyone's toes here, but I, for one, think that the
>>>spam filter needs to be reconfigured.  I tried sending the screen
>>>announcement ( http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00419.html )
>>>SEVEN times yesterday, until it finally got through the spam filter,
>>>with much cutting and rephrasing.  Adding more rules to the spam filter
>>>will only increase the likelihood of rejecting legitimate postings.
>>
>>Out of curiousity, how many times are you going to complain about this?
>
>Only the two you saw - once in the announcement (sorry, I was
>frustrated), and the second time here (it seemed relevant).

I'll state it again: If you are subscribed to the mailing list you do
not get blocked.  You can also subscribe to cygwin-allow to post without
getting mailing list messages sent to you.

[Now here's the place where someone has a great suggestion on how to
improve the spam software or add documentation somewhere]

cgf

* Re: problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-10 10:30             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-10 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:03:26PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:13:14AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>>
>>>Out of curiousity, how many times are you going to complain about this?
>>
>>Only the two you saw - once in the announcement (sorry, I was
>>frustrated), and the second time here (it seemed relevant).
>
>I'll state it again: If you are subscribed to the mailing list you do
>not get blocked.  You can also subscribe to cygwin-allow to post without
>getting mailing list messages sent to you.
>
>[Now here's the place where someone has a great suggestion on how to
>improve the spam software or add documentation somewhere]

Btw, you were right.  It wasn't the attachment.  It was the string
"make<whitespace>$" as in "make $$$" that was hitting the spam blocker.

cgf

@ 2002-09-10 10:34             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-09-10 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I'll state it again: If you are subscribed to the mailing list you do
> not get blocked.

Whoops! *blushes, then curses off-stage*
Missed that one somehow.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file

* Spam filter (Was Re: problem report: gawk 3.1.1)
@ 2002-09-10 10:41               ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-09-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:03:26PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> Btw, you were right.  It wasn't the attachment.  It was the string
> "make<whitespace>$" as in "make $$$" that was hitting the spam blocker.

Wow!  Interesting.  Lots of people use '$' as the prompt, and 'make' is
usually part of the build instructions (though often not as verbose as in
my original message)...
Interleaving the commands with text or numbering them would have fixed
this.  I'll keep that in mind for the future.  Sorry for the trouble.
Thanks!
	Igor
--

@ 2002-09-11 13:48       ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-09-11 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nicholas,

At 13:37 2002-09-11, you wrote:

>--- Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> wrote:
> > Nicolas,
>
>s/Nicolas/Nicholas/

Apologies. I confused your name with that of a "Nicolas" in another forum.

> > There are those who find it rude to allow advertisements to be injected
> > into your mail so that you can think of it as "free."
>
>By what standards?  There's a whole hell of a difference between
>plaintext ads and html/animatedgif/javascript bs.  You're missing the
>point I fear...

I'm not missing a point, I'm making one.

Your unwillingness to pay for a service results in a cost borne by all the
recipients of your messages. It's not the perceived degree of blatantness
to which I object (I've become quite able to ignore all the flashing
animated advertisements on Web pages, where I've come to expect them even
if I don't like them). Rather, it's the injection of commercial messages
into an otherwise non-commercial forum to which I object.

>Cheers,
>Nicholas

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

* RE: re. problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-11 13:45     ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-09-11 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, cygwin

--- Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> wrote:
> Nicolas,

s/Nicolas/Nicholas/

@ 2002-09-11  9:38   ` news
From: news @ 2002-09-11  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10 Sep 2002, Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I use yahoo mail.  So unless I fork out $29/yr, I have
> to read my mail through their web interface.

Is this a new thing? Last I saw both y!.de and y!.co.uk still
had it available for free (ISTR they require you to receive ads,
or some such, but it is quite easy to work around it).

* Re: re. problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-11  9:11     ` iporus
From: iporus @ 2002-09-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

yahoopops is a good choice to read your yahoo mail from Outlook express.
It even filter out all the crap Yahoo insert into your mail.

http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net

iporus
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-09-11  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

Granted.  But it's harder to ignore a flashing gif or html advertizement
than it is to ignore a bit of text (especially in the signature).
	Igor

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> There are those who find it rude to allow advertisements to be injected
> into your mail so that you can think of it as "free."
>
> Randall Schulz
> Mountain View, CA USA
>

> At 08:01 2002-09-10, you wrote:

> >Well that's great if you can *use* procmail, but as you can see I use
> >yahoo mail.  So unless I fork out $29/yr, I have to read my mail
> >through their web interface.  I think the point needs to be
> >reiterated that sending HTML/M$MimeOLE encoded mail to a public list
> >is just downright RUDE.  Not only that, but as the previous poster
> >stated, it screws up Mozilla.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Nicholas
>

> --

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file

* RE: re. problem report: gawk 3.1.1
@ 2002-09-11  8:25   ` Randall R Schulz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-09-11  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nicolas,

@ 2002-09-10  8:10 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-09-10  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zieg, Mark, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2002-09-10  8:01 Zieg, Mark
From: Zieg, Mark @ 2002-09-10  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> From: Nicholas Wourms [mailto:nwourms@yahoo.com]
>
> > Also, sending mail to mailing lists in HTML format is generally
> > considered impolite.
>
> I completely agree!  It is totally unacceptable to send messages with
> animated crap in it to the list.

Fortunately, receiver-side solutions exist for those who prefer not to