* [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-24 19:30 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-01-24 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Cygwin friends and users,

I released a new Cygwin TEST version 2.5.0-0.1.

This release introduces a major change addressing developers only, so
as a user you can skip this test release.

tl;dr: Cygwin 2.5.0 switches Cygwin from the Solaris ACL API to the
       POSIX.1e ACL API.

Since the year 2000, Cygwin supports a POSIXoid ACL emulation.  This
emulation is based on the Solaris API, which is only marginally
comparable to the POSIX ACL API defined in the withdrawn draft
POSIX.1e(*).

At about the same time SGI started to implement POSIX.1e which
eventually became libacl in 2001.  Libacl is the POSIX ACL
implementation used on Linux.

With Cygwin 2.4.0, Cygwin introduced a major revamp of the POSIX ACL
emulation.  This new emulation is complete in the sense that the ACL
handling covers all of POSIX.1e quirks.  This in turn allows to use
the POSIX.1e API.

The Solaris API is the base implementation and stays available.  The
POSIX.1e API is implemented in terms of the Solaris types and mainly
a slim layer on top of the Solaris API.

Changes for developers:

- The full set of POSIX.1e functions is now available.

- Most of the libacl extensions are available as well.  The only
  exceptions right now are the two functions perm_copy_file and
  perm_copy_fd.  These can be added later.  Somebody just has to do it :)

- The <sys/acl.h> header now *only* exposes the POSIX.1e API.

- To get access to the Solaris API, you will have to include
  <cygwin/acl.h> now.

- There's a new header <acl/libacl.h> which exposes the libacl extension
  functions.

Please give this new POSIX.1e ACL implementation a test.  If you have
a project or maintain a package utilizing ACLs, please make sure that
your project picks up the new POSIX.1e API and that it works as desired.

Projects like emacs, vim, coreutils come to mind...

Have fun,
Corinna

(*) http://wt.tuxomania.net/publications/posix.1e/

Red Hat

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-24 22:32 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-24 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hi Cygwin friends and users,
>

> I released a new Cygwin TEST version 2.5.0-0.1.
>
> This release introduces a major change addressing developers only, so
> as a user you can skip this test release.
>
> tl;dr: Cygwin 2.5.0 switches Cygwin from the Solaris ACL API to the
>         POSIX.1e ACL API.
>
> Since the year 2000, Cygwin supports a POSIXoid ACL emulation.  This
> emulation is based on the Solaris API, which is only marginally
> comparable to the POSIX ACL API defined in the withdrawn draft
> POSIX.1e(*).
>
> At about the same time SGI started to implement POSIX.1e which
> eventually became libacl in 2001.  Libacl is the POSIX ACL
> implementation used on Linux.
>
> With Cygwin 2.4.0, Cygwin introduced a major revamp of the POSIX ACL
> emulation.  This new emulation is complete in the sense that the ACL
> handling covers all of POSIX.1e quirks.  This in turn allows to use
> the POSIX.1e API.
>
> The Solaris API is the base implementation and stays available.  The
> POSIX.1e API is implemented in terms of the Solaris types and mainly
> a slim layer on top of the Solaris API.
>
> Changes for developers:
>
> - The full set of POSIX.1e functions is now available.
>
> - Most of the libacl extensions are available as well.  The only
>    exceptions right now are the two functions perm_copy_file and
>    perm_copy_fd.  These can be added later.  Somebody just has to do it :)
>
> - The <sys/acl.h> header now *only* exposes the POSIX.1e API.
>
> - To get access to the Solaris API, you will have to include
>    <cygwin/acl.h> now.
>
> - There's a new header <acl/libacl.h> which exposes the libacl extension
>    functions.
>
> Please give this new POSIX.1e ACL implementation a test.  If you have
> a project or maintain a package utilizing ACLs, please make sure that
> your project picks up the new POSIX.1e API and that it works as desired.
>
> Projects like emacs, vim, coreutils come to mind...

Hi Corinna,

emacs builds and passes its test suite.  Here are the configure results
related to ACLs:

TESTS FOR FUNCTIONS
===================
Yes:

acl_delete_def_file
acl_entries
acl_extended_file
acl_free
acl_from_mode
acl_from_text
acl_get_fd
acl_get_file
acl_set_fd
acl_set_file

No:

acl_copy_ext_native
acl_create_entry_np
acl_delete_fd_np
acl_delete_file_np
acl_free_text
acl_to_short_text

TESTS FOR HEADERS
=================
Yes:

<acl/libacl.h>
<sys/acl.h>

OTHER TESTS
===========
constant ACL_FIRST_ENTRY -- Yes
type ACL_TYPE_EXTENDED -- No

If any of these results are unexpected, let me know, and I'll provide
the configure tests.

I'll start working with the new build to see if anything unexpected
happens.  Is there anything in particular that I should check?

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-25  2:55   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-01-25  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Ken,

On Jan 24 14:21, Ken Brown wrote:
> >Hi Cygwin friends and users,
> >

> >I released a new Cygwin TEST version 2.5.0-0.1.
> >
> >This release introduces a major change addressing developers only, so
> >as a user you can skip this test release.
> >
> >tl;dr: Cygwin 2.5.0 switches Cygwin from the Solaris ACL API to the
> >        POSIX.1e ACL API.
> > [...]
> >Please give this new POSIX.1e ACL implementation a test.  If you have
> >a project or maintain a package utilizing ACLs, please make sure that
> >your project picks up the new POSIX.1e API and that it works as desired.
> >
> >Projects like emacs, vim, coreutils come to mind...
>
> Hi Corinna,
>
> emacs builds and passes its test suite.  Here are the configure results
> related to ACLs:
>
> TESTS FOR FUNCTIONS
> ===================
> Yes:
>
> acl_delete_def_file
> acl_entries
> acl_extended_file
> acl_free
> acl_from_mode
> acl_from_text
> acl_get_fd
> acl_get_file
> acl_set_fd
> acl_set_file
>
> No:
>
> acl_copy_ext_native
> acl_create_entry_np
> acl_delete_fd_np
> acl_delete_file_np
> acl_free_text
> acl_to_short_text
>
> TESTS FOR HEADERS
> =================
> Yes:
>
> <acl/libacl.h>
> <sys/acl.h>
>
> OTHER TESTS
> ===========
> constant ACL_FIRST_ENTRY -- Yes
> type ACL_TYPE_EXTENDED -- No
>
> If any of these results are unexpected, let me know, and I'll provide the
> configure tests.

The above looks right.  The second set of functions is only available
on FreeBSD and/or OS X, not in libacl, so that's fine.  Same goes for
ACL_TYPE_EXTENDED.

> I'll start working with the new build to see if anything unexpected happens.
> Is there anything in particular that I should check?

Does it fail to create ACLs?  Do the created ACLs make sense?  If you
have a file created with Cygwin >= 2.4.0 and change the file content
with Emacs, does the ACL change or stay the same?  Stuff like that.

No reason to check the Windows ACL with icacls btw., simple checks with
getfacl/setfacl will do.

Thanks a lot for testing!
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-25  9:29     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-25  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Does it fail to create ACLs?  Do the created ACLs make sense?  If you
> have a file created with Cygwin >= 2.4.0 and change the file content
> with Emacs, does the ACL change or stay the same?  Stuff like that.

I've tested everything I can think of (including emacs's functions for
viewing and changing ACLs), and it all seems to work fine.  I can
provide more details if you want.

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-25  9:30 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2016-01-25  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Corinna Vinschen (Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:56:54 +0100)
> Please give this new POSIX.1e ACL implementation a test.  If you
> have
> a project or maintain a package utilizing ACLs, please make sure that
> your project picks up the new POSIX.1e API and that it works as desired.

Procps warning:

```
$ procps
2.4+ kernel w/o ELF notes? -- report this
```

Thorsten

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-25 11:02   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-01-25 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 25 07:41, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Corinna Vinschen (Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:56:54 +0100)
> > Please give this new POSIX.1e ACL implementation a test.  If you
> > have
> > a project or maintain a package utilizing ACLs, please make sure that
> > your project picks up the new POSIX.1e API and that it works as desired.
>
> Procps warning:
>
> ```
> $ procps
> 2.4+ kernel w/o ELF notes? -- report this
> ```

The message is harmless.  The procps package maintainers think that this
package only runs on Linux and got threw off by the version number going
beyond 2.4.0.  I'll fix this.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.1
@ 2016-01-25 14:58       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-01-25 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin