* Latest 64 bit cygwin miscompiles gawk master
@ 2017-04-19 15:32 arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-04-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.

I just did a fresh install of the 64 bit cygwin on a new Windows 10
computer.  I am trying to build gawk from git master and getting
failures. It looks like something is being miscompiled in the NODE
union. Compiler is GCC 5.4.  I have no problems with this compiler
on Ubuntu 16 or with GCC 4.9 on an older 64 bit cygwin.

Also, when running configure, there are a lot of errors about not
being able to remove conftest.exe, device or resource busy, which I do
not get on the older Cygwin.

Repeat by

	git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gawk.git
	cd gawk
	./bootstrap.sh && ./configure && make -j && make check

Watch several of the checks crash and burn

Interestingly enough, compilation of the released gawk-4.1.4 tarball
goes off without a hitch; the test suite runs to completion with
no problems.

Please help.

Thanks!

Arnold

* Re: Latest 64 bit cygwin miscompiles gawk master
@ 2017-04-19 18:25 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-04-19 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: arnold

Hi Arnold,

On Apr 19 08:32, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I just did a fresh install of the 64 bit cygwin on a new Windows 10
> computer.  I am trying to build gawk from git master and getting
> failures. It looks like something is being miscompiled in the NODE
> union. Compiler is GCC 5.4.  I have no problems with this compiler
> on Ubuntu 16 or with GCC 4.9 on an older 64 bit cygwin.
>
> Also, when running configure, there are a lot of errors about not
> being able to remove conftest.exe, device or resource busy, which I do
> not get on the older Cygwin.
>
> Repeat by
>
> 	git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gawk.git
> 	cd gawk
> 	./bootstrap.sh && ./configure && make -j && make check
>
> Watch several of the checks crash and burn

No, I don't.  I just ran the exact sequence as above on a x86_64 Windows
10 machine with Cygwin 2.8.0 and gcc 5.4.0 and "ALL TESTS PASSED".

Sure you're not suffering a BLODA problem?
See https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Latest 64 bit cygwin miscompiles gawk master
@ 2017-04-19 23:01   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-04-19 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Corinna,

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> > Watch several of the checks crash and burn
>
> No, I don't.  I just ran the exact sequence as above on a x86_64 Windows
> 10 machine with Cygwin 2.8.0 and gcc 5.4.0 and "ALL TESTS PASSED".

See the note I just posted. If gawk is configured to not compile
against MPFR and GMP it does crash and burn, even on the older cygwin.

I think we never saw this before because we "know" to install those
libraries first...

Gag... I just tried under Linux. I see the same problem. So it's
generic, at least to 5.4.0.

I will see if I can figure out what the problem is.

Thanks anyway,

@ 2017-04-21  0:10   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-04-21  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I pushed a fix to gawk master which solves the problem on Linux.

Savannah is down at the moment, but as soon as it comes back I'll
double check on Cygwin.

Sorry for all the noise.

@ 2017-04-21  0:11 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-04-21  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/19/2017 10:32 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

> Also, when running configure, there are a lot of errors about not
> being able to remove conftest.exe, device or resource busy, which I do
> not get on the older Cygwin.

For me this has always been due to the AV having the conftest.exe open.
I always use an external USB drive for all of my development and state
to the AV to not check the drive letter.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Latest 64 bit cygwin miscompiles gawk master
@ 2017-04-21 14:06     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-04-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: arnold

On Apr 20 02:46, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> I pushed a fix to gawk master which solves the problem on Linux.
>
> Savannah is down at the moment, but as soon as it comes back I'll
> double check on Cygwin.
>
> Sorry for all the noise.

No worries.  Could just as well have been a Cygwin problem.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Latest 64 bit cygwin miscompiles gawk master
@ 2017-04-19 21:47 arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-04-19 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, here is some more info.  After installing MPFR and GMP development
packages and rerunning configure, the compile and tests run with no
problems.

Really strange. I note that my compilation of gawk 4.1.4 where
things went OK was _without_ the MPFR and GMP development packages.

Another interesting data point. On GCC 4.9.0, if I compile without
MPFR, I get the same set of failures.

Thanks!

Arnold