* gettext - acl tests - cygwin specific code path
@ 2018-08-21 20:53 cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-21 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been reviewing the testing of gettext and I have a failure for all
of the acl tests.  I've found that a file without acl will obtain acl if
the mode is changed to 605. STC below.

<STC>
$ touch /tmp/tmpfile0
$ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
-rw-r--r-- 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
$ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
# file: /tmp/tmpfile0
# owner: myUser
# group: myGroup
user::rw-
group::r--
other:r--
$ chmod 600
$ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
-rw------- 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
$ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
# file: /tmp/tmpfile0
# owner: myUser
# group: myGroup
user::rw-
group::---
other:---
$ chmod 605
$ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
-rw----r-x+ 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
$ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
# file: /tmp/tmpfile0
# owner: myUser
# group: myGroup
user::rw-
group::---
other:r-x
user:myUser:---
</STC>

gettext loops through a number of modes and fortunately one of those had
an owner and other without the group. Anytime the other is set without
the owner or group having permission we get an ACL for the user which is
wrong.  A `setfacl -b /tmp/tmpfile0` doesn't correct the information
from getfacl.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: gettext - acl tests - cygwin specific code path
@ 2018-08-21 23:57 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-21 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/21/2018 11:52 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
> I've been reviewing the testing of gettext and I have a failure for all
> of the acl tests.  I've found that a file without acl will obtain acl if
> the mode is changed to 605. STC below.
>
> <STC>
> $ touch /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
> # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
> # owner: myUser
> # group: myGroup
> user::rw-
> group::r--
> other:r--
> $ chmod 600
> $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
> -rw------- 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
> # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
> # owner: myUser
> # group: myGroup
> user::rw-
> group::---
> other:---
> $ chmod 605
> $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
> -rw----r-x+ 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
> # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
> # owner: myUser
> # group: myGroup
> user::rw-
> group::---
> other:r-x
> user:myUser:---
> </STC>
>
> gettext loops through a number of modes and fortunately one of those had
> an owner and other without the group. Anytime the other is set without
> the owner or group having permission we get an ACL for the user which is
> wrong.  A `setfacl -b /tmp/tmpfile0` doesn't correct the information
> from getfacl.

During the testing at least one of the tests does `setfacl -m group:0:1
tmpfile0`.  Obviously this gets a 'permission denied' error as group 0
doesn't exist.  What do you suggest for reasonable replacement for 0?
I'm thinking 11(Authenticated Users) as the purpose of the test is to
determine if the use of `set_acl (file, -1, mode);` will reset to a file
without acl.

--

@ 2018-08-22  8:13   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-08-22  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 21.08.2018 um 20:58 schrieb cyg Simple:
> On 8/21/2018 11:52 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
>> I've been reviewing the testing of gettext and I have a failure for all
>> of the acl tests.  I've found that a file without acl will obtain acl if
>> the mode is changed to 605. STC below.
>>

> During the testing at least one of the tests does `setfacl -m group:0:1
> tmpfile0`.  Obviously this gets a 'permission denied' error as group 0
> doesn't exist.  What do you suggest for reasonable replacement for 0?
> I'm thinking 11(Authenticated Users) as the purpose of the test is to
> determine if the use of `set_acl (file, -1, mode);` will reset to a file
> without acl.

group 0 is likely root.
In theory you can replace with 544 = Administrator
but you need to be an admin.

Otherwise 11 or 545 (Users) should be fine

---

* Re: gettext - acl tests - cygwin specific code path
@ 2018-08-22  8:16   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-08-22  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple, cygwin

Greetings, cyg Simple!

> During the testing at least one of the tests does `setfacl -m group:0:1
> tmpfile0`.  Obviously this gets a 'permission denied' error as group 0
> doesn't exist.  What do you suggest for reasonable replacement for 0?

Nothing. Not all systems have a concept of "group 0". Just skip this test.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: gettext - acl tests - cygwin specific code path
@ 2018-08-22 10:19     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-22 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/21/2018 4:13 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, cyg Simple!
>
>> During the testing at least one of the tests does `setfacl -m group:0:1
>> tmpfile0`.  Obviously this gets a 'permission denied' error as group 0
>> doesn't exist.  What do you suggest for reasonable replacement for 0?
>
> Nothing. Not all systems have a concept of "group 0". Just skip this test.

I'm not interested in skipping the test; after all the path for the test
is Cygwin specific.  It's just not the correct thing to do for the
Cygwin specific path.  I believe 11 to be the correct test and will
pursue that upstream.  Marco suggested maybe 544(Administrator) but that
doesn't work with a typical user build while doing the same in Linux for
root group 0 as a typical user I would need to have elevated privilege
in Windows to use 544.

--

@ 2018-08-22 10:24 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-08-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 21 11:52, cyg Simple wrote:
> I've been reviewing the testing of gettext and I have a failure for all
> of the acl tests.  I've found that a file without acl will obtain acl if
> the mode is changed to 605. STC below.
>
> <STC>
> $ touch /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
> -rw-r--r-- 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
> # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
> # owner: myUser
> # group: myGroup
> user::rw-
> group::r--
> other:r--
> $ chmod 600
> $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
> -rw------- 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
> # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
> # owner: myUser
> # group: myGroup
> user::rw-
> group::---
> other:---
> $ chmod 605
> $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
> -rw----r-x+ 1 myUser myGroup 0 Aug 21 11:35 /tmp/tmpfile0
> $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
> # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
> # owner: myUser
> # group: myGroup
> user::rw-
> group::---
> other:r-x
> user:myUser:---
> </STC>

I just tried this and I can not reproduce the result.  I used your above
testcase with fixed chmod invocations.  Eventually:

  [...]
  $ chmod 605 /tmp/tmpfile0
  $ ls -l /tmp/tmpfile0
  -rw----r-x 1 corinna vinschen 0 Aug 22 09:44 /tmp/tmpfile0
  $ getfacl /tmp/tmpfile0
  # file: /tmp/tmpfile0
  # owner: corinna
  # group: vinschen
  user::rw-
  group::---
  other::r-x

Please retry all steps and add the cacls output after each getfacl
output.  Additionally it might be important to see the permissions
of your /tmp dir (ls, getfacl and cacls).  Mine has the typical
01777 perms.  For testing I also created tmpfile0 in a directory
with perms 0755, but the outcome was the same, as above.

Here are my tmpfile0 perms in cacls output, btw., for comparison:

  $ cacls C:/cygwin64/tmp/tmpfile0
  C:\cygwin64\tmp\tmpfile0 NULL SID:(DENY)(special access:)
                                  READ_CONTROL

                         MYDOMAIN\corinna:(DENY)(special access:)
                                          FILE_EXECUTE

                         MYDOMAIN\corinna:(special access:)
                                          STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
                                          DELETE
                                          READ_CONTROL
                                          WRITE_DAC
                                          WRITE_OWNER
                                          SYNCHRONIZE
                                          STANDARD_RIGHTS_REQUIRED
                                          FILE_GENERIC_READ
                                          FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                                          FILE_READ_DATA
                                          FILE_WRITE_DATA
                                          FILE_APPEND_DATA
                                          FILE_READ_EA
                                          FILE_WRITE_EA
                                          FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                                          FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

                         MYDOMAIN\vinschen:(special access:)
                                           READ_CONTROL
                                           SYNCHRONIZE
                                           FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES

                         MYDOMAIN\vinschen:(DENY)(special access:)
                                           FILE_READ_DATA
                                           FILE_READ_EA
                                           FILE_EXECUTE

                         Everyone:R

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gettext - acl tests - cygwin specific code path
@ 2018-08-22 13:37       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-08-22 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 21 19:57, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 8/21/2018 4:13 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, cyg Simple!
> >
> >> During the testing at least one of the tests does `setfacl -m group:0:1
> >> tmpfile0`.  Obviously this gets a 'permission denied' error as group 0
> >> doesn't exist.  What do you suggest for reasonable replacement for 0?
> >
> > Nothing. Not all systems have a concept of "group 0". Just skip this test.
>
> I'm not interested in skipping the test; after all the path for the test
> is Cygwin specific.  It's just not the correct thing to do for the
> Cygwin specific path.  I believe 11 to be the correct test and will
> pursue that upstream.  Marco suggested maybe 544(Administrator) but that
> doesn't work with a typical user build while doing the same in Linux for
> root group 0 as a typical user I would need to have elevated privilege
> in Windows to use 544.

Exactly as on another system when using group 0.  If these tests are
really only performed on Cygwin, I don't know what the creator intended.
Otherwise, if you want to reproduce what the testcase did, you should in
fact use an admin group.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gettext - acl tests - cygwin specific code path
@ 2018-08-22 13:49       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-08-22 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple, cygwin

Greetings, cyg Simple!

> On 8/21/2018 4:13 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, cyg Simple!
>>
>>> During the testing at least one of the tests does `setfacl -m group:0:1
>>> tmpfile0`.  Obviously this gets a 'permission denied' error as group 0
>>> doesn't exist.  What do you suggest for reasonable replacement for 0?
>>
>> Nothing. Not all systems have a concept of "group 0". Just skip this test.

> I'm not interested in skipping the test; after all the path for the test
> is Cygwin specific.

Then contact the author of these tests and find out what they were thinking
creating them.

> It's just not the correct thing to do for the Cygwin specific path.

That's exactly what I said.
This is just not the right thing to test under Cygwin.

> I believe 11 to be the correct test and will pursue that upstream.

I strongly suggest learning the original intent of the test, before any
"pursuit".

> Marco suggested maybe 544(Administrator) but that doesn't work with a
> typical user build while doing the same in Linux for root group 0 as a
> typical user I would need to have elevated privilege in Windows to use 544.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:59:44

@ 2018-08-22 22:36         ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-22 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Aug 21 19:57, cyg Simple wrote:
>> On 8/21/2018 4:13 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> Greetings, cyg Simple!

>>> Nothing. Not all systems have a concept of "group 0". Just skip this test.
>>
>> I'm not interested in skipping the test; after all the path for the test
>> is Cygwin specific.  It's just not the correct thing to do for the
>> Cygwin specific path.  I believe 11 to be the correct test and will
>> pursue that upstream.  Marco suggested maybe 544(Administrator) but that
>> doesn't work with a typical user build while doing the same in Linux for
>> root group 0 as a typical user I would need to have elevated privilege
>> in Windows to use 544.
>
> Exactly as on another system when using group 0.  If these tests are
> really only performed on Cygwin, I don't know what the creator intended.

Cygwin is treated specifically to do this instead of that.  As I review
more cases of the specifically treated Cygwin I think the tests are old
as setfacl options being used don't exist today.

> Otherwise, if you want to reproduce what the testcase did, you should in
> fact use an admin group.

That depends on the purpose of the test and based on the comments the
testing could use any group.  It should also check that the /tmp
filesystem can support ACL as it assumes /tmp to be locally mounted and
skip the testing if not.

--

@ 2018-08-23  2:54   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-23  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> [...]
>                                           FILE_EXECUTE
>
>                          MYDOMAIN\corinna:(special access:)
>                                           STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
>                                           DELETE
>                                           READ_CONTROL
>                                           WRITE_DAC
>                                           WRITE_OWNER
>                                           SYNCHRONIZE
>                                           STANDARD_RIGHTS_REQUIRED
>                                           FILE_GENERIC_READ
>                                           FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
>                                           FILE_READ_DATA
>                                           FILE_WRITE_DATA
>                                           FILE_APPEND_DATA
>                                           FILE_READ_EA
>                                           FILE_WRITE_EA
>                                           FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>                                           FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
>
>                          MYDOMAIN\vinschen:(special access:)
>                                            READ_CONTROL
>                                            SYNCHRONIZE
>                                            FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>
>                          MYDOMAIN\vinschen:(DENY)(special access:)

C:\opt\cygwin64\tmp\tmpfile0 CYGHOST\cygSimple:(special access:)

                                                    STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
                                                    DELETE
                                                    READ_CONTROL
                                                    WRITE_DAC