From: "J.F. Huesman" <qphysics@yahoo.com>
To: Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: RE: inkscape installed but does nothing.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 04:27:06 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

 (I tried to reply to this message twice and got mailer-daemon failure notices both times. My apologies if this is a duplicate message.)
Yes, they are installed.
which xwin xinit/usr/bin/xwin/usr/bin/xinit

When I try to run inkscape, I don't get any errors and there were no messages about missing programs or dependencies when I ran the installer.
I'm not trying to start a GUI. I have a script that I used to batch convert svg images in a folder to png. When that script wouldn't work (I've used it on other machines, including this one years ago using 32-bit cygwin instead of 64-bit that I'm using now) I started trying to invoke it from the command line, and that's when I discovered it's not doing anything.
If I start Cygwin64 WindowMaker and type "inkscape" into the right-click run dialogue, I get a popup window, ErrorCould not execute command: inkscape

Thanks!

On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 01:45:39 AM EST, Brian Inglis <brian.inglis@shaw.ca> wrote:

On 2023-11-21 21:33, René Berber via Cygwin wrote:> On 11/21/2023 10:23 PM, J.F. Huesman via Cygwin wrote:>>> I installed inkscape 0.92.3-1 using the cygwin update program.Calling>> inkscape does nothing.> [snip]>> All graphical apps use Cygwin/X (or any X Windows).
To check that Cygwin/X server is installed:
    $ which xinit xwin    /usr/bin/xinit    /usr/bin/xwin
if not then install xinit and that pulls in all the other machinery.
Or you can display on a remote host X server using e.g.
    $ DISPLAY=<REMOTE-HOST>:0 inkscape ... &
--Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
La perfection est atteinte                  Perfection is achievednon pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to addmais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer    but when there is no more to cut                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry