* stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-06 12:05 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-06 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to connect to a development board via a (USB) serial line.  It's
using CR rather than NL for line ends, so I was hoping for stty to set that
up so I could use screen to communicate with that board.  No such joy on
Cygwin since the cooked modes are not implemented apparently.  Connecting
via screen anyway lets me send commands to the board with no problems, but I
cannot see any output (presumably because screen waits for the line end ?).
 I can dump the output into a pipe and see it, but of course not at the same
time screen is connected.

Is there some other terminal emulator/program that would let me use this
board anyway via Cygwin until Cygwin learns cooked mode for terminals?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-06 15:09 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-06 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> Is there some other terminal emulator/program that would let me use this
> board anyway via Cygwin until Cygwin learns cooked mode for terminals?

The following script does almost what I want, save for some ickyness with
the echo of the input that I might attempt to deal with later:

-----------8<-----------
#!/bin/dash
cleanup () {
    kill $cpid
    exec 6>&-
}
tty=$1; shift
baud=$1; shift
/bin/stty -F $tty $baud
exec 6<> $tty
0<&6 /bin/stdbuf -i0 -o0 -e0 tr "\r" "\n" &
cpid=$?
trap cleanup HUP KILL INT
1>&6 /bin/stdbuf -i0 -o0 -e0 tr "\n" "\r"
cleanup
-----------8<-----------

Anyway, I can communicate with the board and don't need to leave tmux
anymore when doing so.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-07  9:31   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-07  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For the record, this is what I ended up with:

-----------8<-----------
#!/bin/dash
cleanup () {
    /bin/kill $cpid
    exec 6<&- 6>&-
    /bin/stty $stty
}
if [ $# -ne 2 ] ; then
    echo "Usage:  ${0##*/} <TTY> <Baud>"
    exit 1
fi
tty=$1; shift
baud=$1; shift
stty=$(/bin/stty -g)
/bin/stty -icanon -echo
/bin/stty -F $tty $baud
exec 6<> $tty
0<&6 stdbuf -i0 -o0 -e0 tr "\r" "\n" &
cpid=$?
trap cleanup HUP KILL INT
1>&6 stdbuf -i0 -o0 -e0 tr "\n\177" "\r\b"
cleanup
----------->8-----------

The only thing missing is to emulate the effect of the "stty echoe" setting,
that is outputting erase as backspace - space - backspace rather than just a
single backspace.

Regards,
Achim

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-08  0:06 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-06-08  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> I'm trying to connect to a development board via a (USB) serial line.  It's
> using CR rather than NL for line ends, so I was hoping for stty to set that
> up so I could use screen to communicate with that board.  No such joy on
> Cygwin since the cooked modes are not implemented apparently.  Connecting
> via screen anyway lets me send commands to the board with no problems, but I
> cannot see any output (presumably because screen waits for the line end ?).
>  I can dump the output into a pipe and see it, but of course not at the same
> time screen is connected.
> Is there some other terminal emulator/program that would let me use this
> board anyway via Cygwin until Cygwin learns cooked mode for terminals?

cu is the normal Unixy way of using a remote USB->serial line, but I can't
find it in Cygwin packages searching for \<cu\>, and cu spews too many hits.

Maybe try Windows putty non-TCP/IP serial I/O?

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-08  5:40   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Inglis writes:
> cu is the normal Unixy way of using a remote USB->serial line, but I can't
> find it in Cygwin packages searching for \<cu\>, and cu spews too many hits.

Yup, that was one of the first alternatives I've looked for.

> Maybe try Windows putty non-TCP/IP serial I/O?

I was specifically trying to avoid a Windows program.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-09  3:16     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-06-09  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, cygwin

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> cu is the normal Unixy way of using a remote USB->serial line, but I can't
>> find it in Cygwin packages searching for \<cu\>, and cu spews too many hits.

> Yup, that was one of the first alternatives I've looked for.

>> Maybe try Windows putty non-TCP/IP serial I/O?

> I was specifically trying to avoid a Windows program.

putty is not a Windows program.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-09 18:34   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-06-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 7, 2016, at 6:05 PM, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:

> cu is the normal Unixy way of using a remote USB->serial line, but I can't
> find it in Cygwin packages

Taylor UUCP builds out of the box on Cygwin:

  $ wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/uucp/uucp-1.07.tar.gz
  $ tar xf uucp-1.07.tar.gz
  $ cd uucp-1.07
  $ configure && make -j11
  $ ./cu --version
  cu (Taylor UUCP) 1.07
  Copyright (C) 1991, 92, 93, 94, 1995, 2002 Ian Lance Taylor
  This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
  the GNU General Public LIcense.  This program has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

> searching for \<cu\>, and cu spews too many hits.

When searching on the Cygwin package search page, adding .exe to executables narrows the results considerably.

As it happens, there is a Cygwin package shipping *cu.exe, but it is not the cu(1) you are looking for.  Move along.

Adding a leading slash fixes that:

  Found 0 matches for /cu.exe

If you were searching elsewhere (e.g. Google) then, yes, “cu” is a bad search term.  But if you knew that cu comes from the UUCP package, “cu uucp” leads you right to Taylor UUCP.

See, I *knew* there was a reason I was spending my days on amber VT220s hacking Unix back when I could have been out making Vitamin D!

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-09 18:58       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-06-09 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 8, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>> Brian Inglis writes:
>
>>> Maybe try Windows putty non-TCP/IP serial I/O?
>
>> I was specifically trying to avoid a Windows program.
>
> putty is not a Windows program.

PuTTY started out as a Windows-only program and is certainly still best-known as a free GUI terminal program for Windows.  If you were to give a free-association test to a sufficiently large set of random IT people, I’d bet there would be more who would answer “Windows” than with all non-Windows OS-related terms combined.

What you should have said is that there is a Cygwin build of putty in the official Cygwin package repository.

Unfortunately, it is a GUI program, which seems to go against the OP’s actual wish, which is for a command line program.

If the OP can stand a curses terminal program (as opposed to a purely bytestream oriented program like cu or direct /dev/tty* access) then I’d suggest minicom.

minicom builds out of the box on Cygwin *provided* that you have libiconv-devel and libncurses-devel installed.  The configure script will diagnose the absence of the first, but it tries to work around the lack of the latter and fails during the build.

  $ wget https://alioth.debian.org/frs/download.php/file/3977/minicom-2.7.tar.gz
  $ tar xf minicom-2.7.tar.gz
  $ cd minicom-2.7
  $ ./configure && make -j11
  $ src/minicom --version
  minicom version 2.7 (compiled Jun  9 2016)
  Copyright (C) Miquel van Smoorenburg.

  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
  2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-09 22:08         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-09 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young writes:
> Unfortunately, it is a GUI program, which seems to go against the OP’s actual wish, which is for a command line program.

Right.  Plus it doesn't have the translation capabilities that I needed
in this particular case.

> If the OP can stand a curses terminal program (as opposed to a purely
> bytestream oriented program like cu or direct /dev/tty* access) then
> I’d suggest minicom.

I've used minicom on Linux for similar hardware.  It also doesn't have
the translation capabilities needed since usually the IOCTL layer does
it, which remains unimplemented in Cygwin for serial lines.  Meanwhile,
I might need to write a proper wrapper for fully utilizing that hardware
anyway since I want to automate a few things and then have to keep an
eye on how much characters I've queued up and wait for echo in some
places.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-09 22:31           ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-06-09 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 9, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Warren Young writes:
>> If the OP can stand a curses terminal program (as opposed to a purely
>> bytestream oriented program like cu or direct /dev/tty* access) then
>> I’d suggest minicom.
>
> I've used minicom on Linux for similar hardware.  It also doesn't have
> the translation capabilities needed

minicom -s  ->
  Screen and keyboard  ->
    Character conversion
    Add linefeed
    Add carriage return

What more did you want?

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-09 22:49     ` John Hein
From: John Hein @ 2016-06-09 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young wrote at 12:34 -0600 on Jun  9, 2016:
 > On Jun 7, 2016, at 6:05 PM, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:
 > >

 > > cu is the normal Unixy way of using a remote USB->serial line, but I can't
 > > find it in Cygwin packages
 >
 > Taylor UUCP builds out of the box on Cygwin:
 >
 >   $ wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/uucp/uucp-1.07.tar.gz
 >   $ tar xf uucp-1.07.tar.gz
 >   $ cd uucp-1.07
 >   $ configure && make -j11
 >   $ ./cu --version
 >   cu (Taylor UUCP) 1.07
 >   Copyright (C) 1991, 92, 93, 94, 1995, 2002 Ian Lance Taylor
 >   This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
 >   the GNU General Public LIcense.  This program has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 >
 > > searching for \<cu\>, and cu spews too many hits.
 >
 > When searching on the Cygwin package search page, adding .exe to executables narrows the results considerably.
 >
 > As it happens, there is a Cygwin package shipping *cu.exe, but it is not the cu(1) you are looking for.  Move along.
 >
 > Adding a leading slash fixes that:
 >
 >   Found 0 matches for /cu.exe
 >
 > If you were searching elsewhere (e.g. Google) then, yes, “cu” is a bad search term.  But if you knew that cu comes from the UUCP package, “cu uucp” leads you right to Taylor UUCP.
 >
 > See, I *knew* there was a reason I was spending my days on amber VT220s hacking Unix back when I could have been out making Vitamin D!

miniterm.py is a nice cross-platform (pure python) serial program
that is CLI (like tip/cu).  It's part of the pyserial package.

In the past, it (pyserial) has not been in the cygwin repo, but it
may be now.  If not, just install python-setuptools and do
'easy_install pyserial'.  I've used 'pip install pyserial' as well
(but probably had to 'easy_install pip' since pip also isn't
cygwin-packagified either).

I always meant to package pyserial for cygwin but never got around to
it.  A nice feature is the ability to toggle dynamically between
different settings including presentation modes (raw, escaped control
characters, hex), baud rate, flow ctrl or not, cr/lf line endings.

Plus it's easy to write little python scripts using the pyserial API
to twiddle things on the serial port
(http://pythonhosted.org/pyserial/).

Here's the live help screen:

--- pySerial (2.7) - miniterm - help
---
--- Ctrl+]   Exit program
--- Ctrl+T   Menu escape key, followed by:
--- Menu keys:
---    Ctrl+T  Send the menu character itself to remote
---    Ctrl+]  Send the exit character itself to remote
---    Ctrl+I  Show info
---    Ctrl+U  Upload file (prompt will be shown)
--- Toggles:
---    Ctrl+R  RTS          Ctrl+E  local echo
---    Ctrl+D  DTR          Ctrl+B  BREAK
---    Ctrl+L  line feed    Ctrl+A  Cycle repr mode
---
--- Port settings (Ctrl+T followed by the following):
---    p          change port
---    7 8        set data bits
---    n e o s m  change parity (None, Even, Odd, Space, Mark)
---    1 2 3      set stop bits (1, 2, 1.5)
---    b          change baud rate
---    x X        disable/enable software flow control
---    r R        disable/enable hardware flow control

and --help:

miniterm.py --help
Usage: miniterm.py [options] [port [baudrate]]

Miniterm - A simple terminal program for the serial port.

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit

  Port settings:
    -p PORT, --port=PORT
                        port, a number or a device name. (deprecated option,
                        use parameter instead)
    -b BAUDRATE, --baud=BAUDRATE
                        set baud rate, default 9600
    --parity=PARITY     set parity, one of [N, E, O, S, M], default=N
    --rtscts            enable RTS/CTS flow control (default off)
    --xonxoff           enable software flow control (default off)
    --rts=RTS_STATE     set initial RTS line state (possible values: 0, 1)
    --dtr=DTR_STATE     set initial DTR line state (possible values: 0, 1)

  Data handling:
    -e, --echo          enable local echo (default off)
    --cr                do not send CR+LF, send CR only
    --lf                do not send CR+LF, send LF only
    -D, --debug         debug received data (escape non-printable chars)
                        --debug can be given multiple times: 0: just print
                        what is received 1: escape non-printable characters,
                        do newlines as unusual 2: escape non-printable
                        characters, newlines too 3: hex dump everything

  Hotkeys:
    --exit-char=EXIT_CHAR
                        ASCII code of special character that is used to exit
                        the application
    --menu-char=MENU_CHAR
                        ASCII code of special character that is used to
                        control miniterm (menu)

  Diagnostics:
    -q, --quiet         suppress non-error messages

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-10  8:29             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young writes:
>> I've used minicom on Linux for similar hardware.  It also doesn't have
>> the translation capabilities needed
>
> minicom -s  ->
>   Screen and keyboard  ->
>     Character conversion
>     Add linefeed
>     Add carriage return
>
> What more did you want?

OK, looks like I should try again.  :-)

Meanwhile I think my best option, based on how I plan to interact with
the hardware, would be picocom.  Will try both picocom and minicom some
time next week (hopefully).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-10  8:42           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-06-10  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 10 00:07, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Warren Young writes:
> > Unfortunately, it is a GUI program, which seems to go against the OP’s actual wish, which is for a command line program.
>
> Right.  Plus it doesn't have the translation capabilities that I needed
> in this particular case.
>
> > If the OP can stand a curses terminal program (as opposed to a purely
> > bytestream oriented program like cu or direct /dev/tty* access) then
> > I’d suggest minicom.
>
> I've used minicom on Linux for similar hardware.  It also doesn't have
> the translation capabilities needed since usually the IOCTL layer does
> it, which remains unimplemented in Cygwin for serial lines.

It doesn't have to stay this way, you know?

https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI
https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PGA

Ideally by somebody who knows how this dreaded Windows serial line API
works...

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-10  8:57             ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2016-06-10  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

> Ideally by somebody who knows how this dreaded Windows serial line API
> works...

Wouldn't someting like this work:

term=$'\r'
l=
while true; do read -N1 c
[ "$c" == $'\4' ] && break
[ "$c" == $term ] && { echo "<$l>"; l=; } || l="$l$c"
done

?
-Helmut

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-10 10:00               ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2016-06-10 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2016-06-10 14:39               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-06-10 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 10 10:42, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> > Ideally by somebody who knows how this dreaded Windows serial line API
> > works...
>
> Wouldn't someting like this work:
>
> term=$'\r'
> l=
> while true; do read -N1 c
> [ "$c" == $'\4' ] && break
> [ "$c" == $term ] && { echo "<$l>"; l=; } || l="$l$c"
> done
>
> ?

I was talking about coding icrnl support inside Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-10 15:38               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-10 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:
> Meanwhile I think my best option, based on how I plan to interact with
> the hardware, would be picocom.  Will try both picocom and minicom some
> time next week (hopefully).

I've created cygport files for both and picocom works just fine.  Have yet
to test minicom, but I think it'll work as well.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-10 19:45             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-10 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> It doesn't have to stay this way, you know?

Yes I know.  But at the moment I need to get some other work done plus…

> Ideally by somebody who knows how this dreaded Windows serial line API
> works...

…I am unfortunately not somebody like that.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: stty icrnl
@ 2016-06-13 12:18                 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-13 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> NexGo.DE> writes:
> I've created cygport files for both and picocom works just fine.  Have yet
> to test minicom, but I think it'll work as well.

For my purposes minicom works, albeit with more overhead then picocom.
However there are a few problems like popping up the help screen actually
exits minicom (you can briefly see the screen popping up, then you are back
at the prompt).

Regards,
Achim.