* Re: vim/cygwin: python support
       [not found] <4FEDBA31.4060104@gmail.com>
@ 2012-06-29 14:26 ` ping
From: ping @ 2012-06-29 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

got returned msg about cygwin. so resent..

@ 2012-06-29 15:06   ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2012-06-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/29/2012 10:22 AM, ping wrote:
>> cygwin full install went smooth.
>> but looks I don't have python support here.
http://cygwin.com/problems.html

You might also try installing the python package...

Ryan

* Re: vim/cygwin: python support
@ 2012-06-29 15:43     ` ping
From: ping @ 2012-06-29 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

thanks Ryan.

I think I had the python package already -- I installed the FULL cygwin..

ping@ping-new-laptop ~
$ python
Python 2.6.8 (unknown, Jun  9 2012, 11:30:32)
[GCC 4.5.3] on cygwin

I guess I need to do some manual re-compiling work myself.
but depending on whether I'm lucky not sure I'll make it or mess things
up worse.
not complaint at all...cygwin is an amazing project already...just
wondering why there isn't a "full-feature" ready to use vim available so
newbies like me won't need to do the dev-level work.
I remember I use cygwin years ago and ran into the same trouble...

I'll try and post update.

regards
ping

@ 2012-06-29 20:50       ` ping
From: ping @ 2012-06-29 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just got it re-compired from the source with python enabled, and it
looks now have the python support.

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jun 29 2012 16:20:28)
Included patches: 1-581
Compiled by ping@ping-new-laptop
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist
+cmdline_info +comments +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind
+cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
+ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +float
+folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
+insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak
+lispindent +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname
+mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
+mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +mouse_urxvt +multi_byte
+multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg +path_extra -perl +persistent_undo
+postscript +printer +profile +python -python3 +quickfix
  +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff
+startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
+tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects
  +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
+visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
+writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
    system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
       user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
   fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -g -O2
-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim.exe
-lm -lncurses -lelf   -liconv -lintl
-L/usr/lib/python2.6/config -lpython2.6 -ldl

I have not move my work on it so not sure what other issues I might run
into here. At least the python feature is there!

thanks.

regards
ping

@ 2012-06-30 13:09 ` Tony Mechelynck
From: Tony Mechelynck @ 2012-06-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vim_use; +Cc: ping, cygwin, Vlad Irnov

On 29/06/12 16:22, ping wrote:
> not sure this should go to vim/cygwin team...so copy both and Vlad(Voom
> plugin author)
> I got a new laptop (folio) come with win7.
> for some reason I want to give win7 a trial.
>
> cygwin full install went smooth.
> but looks I don't have python support here.
> that means I won't be able to have some plugins (like Voom) that is
> based on python.
> I did a lot of search and looks this is a common issue, but still I
> don't see a clear answer yet.
> any cygwin users can advise?
>
> regards
> ping

When I was still on Windows, I used to have some Cygwin packages
installed, but the Python I used (and compiled Vim with, using the
make_cyg.mak and the Cygwin/MinGW gcc) was not from Cygwin but from
python.org itself. See
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm for details.

The vim.exe and gvim.exe which I made that way were _built_ under Cygwin
but not for _use_ under Cygwin — they were for use under Windows from a
desktop icon or a cmd.exe prompt, and did not use the cygwin1.dll
library. Also, Win64 was still a thing of the future at the time.

DISCLAIMER: The HowTo page mentioned two paragraphs above is about 1½
years old, and since I have left Windows forever I cannot check if it is
still accurate. However, even if it isn't, a "clever user" ought to be
able to fill in the gaps.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Ask not for whom the <CONTROL-G> tolls.

* Re: vim/cygwin: python support
@ 2012-07-01 23:20     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-07-01 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ping, cygwin

Greetings, ping!

> and ... I do find some minor (maybe not that minor) issue in here, e.g:

> 1)sometime (not everytime, roughly half chances) follow warning/errors
> prompt, press <enter> it will go away and laugh vim.

> [ping@ping-new-laptop ~]$ vim
>        1 [main] vim 6740 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by
> 'fcntl.dll' (0x320000) is already occupied

> Cannot fork

> Press ENTER or type command to continue

Sounds like you need to rebase some DLL's.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: vim/cygwin: python support
@ 2012-07-01  5:11   ` ping
From: ping @ 2012-07-01  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Mechelynck; +Cc: vim_use, cygwin, Vlad Irnov

On 6/30/2012 6:04 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 30/06/12 23:32, ping wrote:
>> Thanks
>> I just got it recompiled under cygwin with python support
>> At least Voom that is based on python runs smoothly now
>> I can post detailed steps if anyone is interested
> [...]
>
> Maybe you should create a tip at http://vim.wikia.com/ ?
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

sure I'll seriously do it later..
but currently, I'm still testing it -- trying to move all my linux-based
works (whole .vim including all plugins!) on this new build.

so Voom (python based) works perfect:

[1] bash.exe - 1 [2] tech-tips2.txt_VOOM2
    close
2  161   . . |c-s mod>     4570 === arp
2  162   . . |smc          4571
2  163   . . |swap         4572 ==== ##arp
2+ 164   . . |coredump     4573 in.arpd
2+ 166   . . |NFS   /1     4574 /etc/inet/hosts <-      /etc/hosts
2+ 181   . . |autoFS       4575
2+ 188   . . |RAID & v     4576 /etc/ethers
2+ 192   . . |config v     4577
2+ 196   . . |name ser     4578 arp     -a
-  198   . |book3          4579         -s
2  199   . . |etherne>     4580         -d
-  200 = . . |arp          4581
3  201   . . . |##arp      4582
3  202   . . . |##rarp     4583 ==== ##rarp

       [not found] <1198556727-1341091933-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-741837253-@b12.c30.bise6.blackberry>
@ 2012-06-30 22:04 ` Tony Mechelynck
From: Tony Mechelynck @ 2012-06-30 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: songpingemail; +Cc: vim_use, cygwin, Vlad Irnov

On 30/06/12 23:32, ping wrote:
> Thanks
> I just got it recompiled under cygwin with python support
> At least Voom that is based on python runs smoothly now
> I can post detailed steps if anyone is interested
[...]

Maybe you should create a tip at http://vim.wikia.com/ ?

Best regards,
Tony.
--
There is a Massachusetts law requiring all dogs to have their hind legs
tied during the month of April.