* Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 19:15 K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've just performed my weekly update and now I cannot execute urxvt.

Using an xterm, I get the following error message:
bash: /usr/bin/urxvt: Bad address

I've tried to reinstall the packages followed by a rebaseall.  This
did not resolve the problem.

Any suggestions?

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 19:26 ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-19 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

As a follow up, I'm running Cygwin on WinXP using Fluxbox as my window
manager under XWin.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 19:40 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2012-07-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/19/2012 01:15 PM, K Stahl wrote:
> I've just performed my weekly update and now I cannot execute urxvt.
>
> Using an xterm, I get the following error message:
> bash: /usr/bin/urxvt: Bad address

urxvt depends on cygperl5_10.dll, which was removed in the upgrade to
perl 5.14.  Either urxvt needs to be rebuilt, or the old perl 5.10
libraries need to be restored for a bit longer.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 20:00   ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-19 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> urxvt depends on cygperl5_10.dll, which was removed in the upgrade to
> perl 5.14.  Either urxvt needs to be rebuilt, or the old perl 5.10
> libraries need to be restored for a bit longer.

Knowing that there are numerous dependencies on the perl upgrade,
could we get someone to update the urxvt package?

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 20:16     ` Aaron Schneider
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/07/2012 22:00, K Stahl wrote:
>> urxvt depends on cygperl5_10.dll, which was removed in the upgrade to
>> perl 5.14.  Either urxvt needs to be rebuilt, or the old perl 5.10
>> libraries need to be restored for a bit longer.
>
> Knowing that there are numerous dependencies on the perl upgrade,
> could we get someone to update the urxvt package?

I couldn't find any version of urxvt on cygwin's release mirror, so, no
packages to start from. Furthermore, for what you are looking for, isn't
rxvt pretty much the same?

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 20:31       ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-07-19 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=urxvt>

> Furthermore, for what you are looking for, isn't
> rxvt pretty much the same?
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00078.html

Pretty much, minus the unicode support and some other niceties mentioned
in the message you quoted above.  Of course, stepping back to rxvt puts you
in the realm of dead code.  So if bit-rot is OK with you... ;-)

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-07-19 20:42         ` Aaron Schneider
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-19 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/07/2012 22:30, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 7/19/2012 4:15 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:
>> On 19/07/2012 22:00, K Stahl wrote:
>>
>> I couldn't find any version of urxvt on cygwin's release mirror, so, no
>> packages to start from.
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=urxvt>
>
>> Furthermore, for what you are looking for, isn't
>> rxvt pretty much the same?
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00078.html
>
> Pretty much, minus the unicode support and some other niceties mentioned
> in the message you quoted above.  Of course, stepping back to rxvt puts you
> in the realm of dead code.  So if bit-rot is OK with you... ;-)

It results that the package is named rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1.tar.bz2 but
in the end install binaries that are named urxvt:

usr/bin/urxvt-X.exe
usr/bin/urxvtc-X.exe
usr/bin/urxvtd-X.exe

and all of them were compiled on Jan 2010. The non unicode is even
older, so probably everything is broken. I get also the "Bad address" or
"unable to connect to the rxvt-unicode daemon: No such file or
directory" errors.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-19 21:15           ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-07-19 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/19/2012 4:42 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:
> On 19/07/2012 22:30, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 7/19/2012 4:15 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:
>>> On 19/07/2012 22:00, K Stahl wrote:
>>>
>>> I couldn't find any version of urxvt on cygwin's release mirror, so, no
>>> packages to start from.
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=urxvt>
>>
>>> Furthermore, for what you are looking for, isn't
>>> rxvt pretty much the same?
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00078.html
>>
>> Pretty much, minus the unicode support and some other niceties mentioned
>> in the message you quoted above.  Of course, stepping back to rxvt puts you
>> in the realm of dead code.  So if bit-rot is OK with you... ;-)
>>

> It results that the package is named rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1.tar.bz2 but in
> the end install binaries that are named urxvt:
>
> usr/bin/urxvt-X.exe
> usr/bin/urxvtc-X.exe
> usr/bin/urxvtd-X.exe
>
> and all of them were compiled on Jan 2010. The non unicode is even older, so
> probably everything is broken. I get also the "Bad address" or "unable to
> connect to the rxvt-unicode daemon: No such file or directory" errors.

Yes, as Eric pointed out, these packages would need to be updated or the
old perl libraries would need to be restored to make them work again.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-07-19 21:45             ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-19 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just attempted to compile the latest (rxvt-unicode-9.15) and ran into
issues.  As I'm not completely versed in setting up the configuration
environment in Cygwin, I'm at a loss.  Seeing as there were numerous
packages that were updated as a result of the Perl version increment,
reverting to an older version is less than an ideal solution at this
point.

Could someone contact Yaakov and get his input on the situation?

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-20  8:27         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-07-20  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 19 16:30, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> >>Knowing that there are numerous dependencies on the perl upgrade,
> >>could we get someone to update the urxvt package?
> >>

> >I couldn't find any version of urxvt on cygwin's release mirror, so, no
> >packages to start from.
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=urxvt>
>
> >Furthermore, for what you are looking for, isn't
> >rxvt pretty much the same?
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00078.html
>
> Pretty much, minus the unicode support and some other niceties mentioned
> in the message you quoted above.  Of course, stepping back to rxvt puts you
> in the realm of dead code.  So if bit-rot is OK with you... ;-)

One word: mintty.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-20 12:13           ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-20 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> One word: mintty.

Although I appreciate the work and the robust nature of mintty, it
does not integrate into the window manager I am using.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-20 14:01             ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-20 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For reference, it seems that Charles Wilson ran into the same issues I
am with compiling urxvt under cygwin:
see: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-12/msg00630.html

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-20 22:06             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2012-07-20 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 20.07.2012 14:12, schrieb K Stahl:
>> One word: mintty.
> Although I appreciate the work and the robust nature of mintty, it
> does not integrate into the window manager I am using.
Maybe if you describe how and why it does not integrate, a solution
could be found for that?

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-21 13:51               ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I often have multiple terminals open in an X Session while using
Fluxbox as my Window Manager.  Seeing as Mintty is a windows
application, it does not utilize X and therefore does not inherit the
WM decorations and/or functionality.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-22  3:54     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2012-07-22  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/19/2012 4:00 PM, K Stahl wrote:
>> urxvt depends on cygperl5_10.dll, which was removed in the upgrade to
>> perl 5.14.  Either urxvt needs to be rebuilt, or the old perl 5.10
>> libraries need to be restored for a bit longer.
>
> Knowing that there are numerous dependencies on the perl upgrade,
> could we get someone to update the urxvt package?

$realjob has been kicking my *** for months now. But the light at the
end of the tunnel has begun glimmering; if it doesn't turn out to be an
oncoming train I should have time this weekend.

--
Chuck

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 18:11       ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> $realjob has been kicking my *** for months now. But the light at the end of
> the tunnel has begun glimmering; if it doesn't turn out to be an oncoming
> train I should have time this weekend.

Awesome!  I look forward to anything you can do to resolve this issue.

In the interim, I've played around with trying to get urxvt to work
(with a fatal hiccup).

Downloaded rxvt-unicode-9.15.tar.bz2 and performed the following:
$ tar xf rxvt-unicode-9.15.tar.bz2
$ cd rxvt-unicode-9.15/
$ ./configure --enable-everything --disable-wtmp --disable-lastlog
$ make
$ make install (This fails for some reason)

From here, I performed
$ cd src && make install
$ cd doc && make install

NOTE: The default configuration installs everything into /usr/local/bin

I was able to open a terminal, but as soon as I perform "man urxvt",
the terminal dies (e.g. disappears).

This has exceeded my experience with building/installing, so I'm once
again suck.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 18:30         ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 8:11 PM, K Stahl wrote:
>> $realjob has been kicking my *** for months now. But the light at the end of
>> the tunnel has begun glimmering; if it doesn't turn out to be an oncoming
>> train I should have time this weekend.
>
> Awesome!  I look forward to anything you can do to resolve this issue.
>

> In the interim, I've played around with trying to get urxvt to work
> (with a fatal hiccup).
>
> Downloaded rxvt-unicode-9.15.tar.bz2 and performed the following:
> $ tar xf rxvt-unicode-9.15.tar.bz2
> $ cd rxvt-unicode-9.15/
> $ ./configure --enable-everything --disable-wtmp --disable-lastlog
> $ make
> $ make install (This fails for some reason)
>
>  From here, I performed
> $ cd src && make install
> $ cd doc && make install
>
> NOTE: The default configuration installs everything into /usr/local/bin
>
> I was able to open a terminal, but as soon as I perform "man urxvt",
> the terminal dies (e.g. disappears).
>
> This has exceeded my experience with building/installing, so I'm once
> again suck.
>
> --

why not download the rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1 source
rename the rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1.{cygport,cygwin.patch,src.patch}
to rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2.{cygport,cygwin.patch,src.patch}
and trying

cygport  rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2.cygport almostall

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 19:36           ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-23 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> why not download the rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1 source
> rename the rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1.{cygport,cygwin.patch,src.patch}
> to rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2.{cygport,cygwin.patch,src.patch}
> and trying
>
> cygport  rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2.cygport almostall

As suggested, I tried the above and still cannot open a urxvt terminal.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 19:43             ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-23 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 9:35 PM, K Stahl wrote:
>> why not download the rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1 source
>> rename the rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-1.{cygport,cygwin.patch,src.patch}
>> to rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2.{cygport,cygwin.patch,src.patch}
>> and trying
>>
>> cygport  rxvt-unicode-X-9.07-2.cygport almostall
>>
> As suggested, I tried the above and still cannot open a urxvt terminal.

built fine for me and after installation worked fine

if you want to try my build

setup.exe -X -O -s http://matzeri.altervista.org

Marco

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 19:55               ` Aaron Schneider
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-23 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 23/07/2012 21:43, marco atzeri wrote:
> built fine for me and after installation worked fine
>
> if you want to try my build
>
> setup.exe -X -O -s http://matzeri.altervista.org
>
> Marco

I've got this:

$ /bin/urxvt-X.exe -display 127.0.0.1:0.0 -ls -e /bin/bash --login
urxvt: can't open display 127.0.0.1:0.0, aborting.
Aborted (core dumped)

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 20:06                 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 9:55 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:
> On 23/07/2012 21:43, marco atzeri wrote:
>> built fine for me and after installation worked fine
>>
>> if you want to try my build
>>
>> setup.exe -X -O -s http://matzeri.altervista.org
>>
>> Marco
>>

> I've got this:
>
> $ /bin/urxvt-X.exe -display 127.0.0.1:0.0 -ls -e /bin/bash --login
> urxvt: can't open display 127.0.0.1:0.0, aborting.
> Aborted (core dumped)

is X server running ?
If yes check firewall settings

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 20:15                   ` Aaron Schneider
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 23/07/2012 22:05, marco atzeri wrote:

> is X server running ?
> If yes check firewall settings

No idea how to check if X server is running or how to launch it. Isn't
automatically launched by the shortcut placed on windows menu?

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 20:27               ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-23 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> setup.exe -X -O -s http://matzeri.altervista.org
> Marco

Marco, thanks for you help... things are back to normal!

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-23 20:30                 ` K Stahl
From: K Stahl @ 2012-07-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Marco, thanks for you help... things are back to normal!

Spoke too soon.  Tries to run a python app and the terminal dies.

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-24  5:15                   ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-24  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/23/2012 10:29 PM, K Stahl wrote:
>> Marco, thanks for you help... things are back to normal!
>
> Spoke too soon.  Tries to run a python app and the terminal dies.

it dies also for simpler things, I will look on the stackdump
sorry

* Re: Cannot Execute urxvt after upgrade
@ 2012-07-24 14:00                     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-07-24 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 07:15:08AM +0200, marco atzeri wrote:
>On 7/23/2012 10:29 PM, K Stahl wrote:
>>> Marco, thanks for you help... things are back to normal!
>>
>> Spoke too soon.  Tries to run a python app and the terminal dies.
>>

>it dies also for simpler things, I will look on the stackdump
>sorry

Do we really need to continue this conversation?  Chuck has said that he'll
get to an update eventually.  Why not just wait for him?

cgf