* 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-26 16:22 Erik Falor
From: Erik Falor @ 2013-06-26 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I ran setup.exe yesterday to update my Cygwin system and noticed that
afterward most of my Cygwin-related desktop icons reverted to the
Windows default icon image.  Upon further investigation I found that
/bin/cygicons-0.dll is missing from my system.

cygcheck -c reports no incomplete packages.

--
Erik Falor                                       http://unnovative.net
Registered Linux User #445632                  http://linuxcounter.net

* RE: 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-26 16:26 ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2013-06-26 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Erik Falor

Erik Falor sent the following at Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:07 PM
>I ran setup.exe yesterday to update my Cygwin system and noticed that
>afterward most of my Cygwin-related desktop icons reverted to the
>Windows default icon image. Upon further investigation I found that
>/bin/cygicons-0.dll is missing from my system.
>
>cygcheck -c reports no incomplete packages.

The cygutils package was recently split into cygutils-extra and
cygutils-x11.  Install cygutils-extra.

- Barry

* Re: 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-26 19:04   ` Erik Falor
From: Erik Falor @ 2013-06-26 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 04:22:26PM +0000, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Erik Falor sent the following at Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:07 PM
> >I ran setup.exe yesterday to update my Cygwin system and noticed that
> >afterward most of my Cygwin-related desktop icons reverted to the
> >Windows default icon image. Upon further investigation I found that
> >/bin/cygicons-0.dll is missing from my system.
> >
> >cygcheck -c reports no incomplete packages.
>
> The cygutils package was recently split into cygutils-extra and
> cygutils-x11.  Install cygutils-extra.

That did it.  Thanks, Barry!

--

@ 2013-06-27 13:07   ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2013-06-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] gone missing

> The cygutils package was recently split into cygutils-extra and
> cygutils-x11.  Install cygutils-extra.

Doesn't this suggest that cygicons-0.dll should be included
in the base cygwin package?

--Ken Nellis

* Re: 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-27 13:28     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-06-27 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 6/27/2013 2:19 PM, Nellis, Kenneth ha scritto:
> From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] gone missing
>
>> The cygutils package was recently split into cygutils-extra and
>> cygutils-x11.  Install cygutils-extra.
>
> Doesn't this suggest that cygicons-0.dll should be included
> in the base cygwin package?
>
> --Ken Nellis

base does not needs icons, so in IMHO no.

Regards
Marco

* Re: 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-28 14:22       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-06-28 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marco atzeri, cygwin

Greetings, marco atzeri!

>>> The cygutils package was recently split into cygutils-extra and
>>> cygutils-x11.  Install cygutils-extra.
>>
>> Doesn't this suggest that cygicons-0.dll should be included
>> in the base cygwin package?
>>
>> --Ken Nellis

> base does not needs icons, so in IMHO no.

That's a bit flawed line, IMO.
Default install should put user's system in a consistent working order.
Missing icons is not something I would call "consistent".
On another note, why not include Cygwin icon into cygwin1.dll?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-28 14:38         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-06-28 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/28/2013 6:16 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>>> Doesn't this suggest that cygicons-0.dll should be included
>>> in the base cygwin package?
>
>> base does not needs icons, so in IMHO no.
>
> That's a bit flawed line, IMO.
> Default install should put user's system in a consistent working order.
> Missing icons is not something I would call "consistent".

What part of a default install [1] *requires* icons from cygicon-0.dll?
  Now, if you're talking about updating an existing cygwin installation
via setup.exe [with no special package selection], then yeah -- this is
a *known* breakage.  But it's better than the previous *known issue*
where a default "Base" install [1] would pull in python and bits of X11.
  THAT is what this packaging change was intended to fix, and because we
did so deliberately in order to break requires: dependencies, we
couldn't very well avoid the problem you see by adding those same
requires: dependencies right back.

when you upgrade.  AND, if you didn't do that...when you see an error
due to a "routine upgrade"...go back and DO read that list.

[1] And by "default install" I mean "new installation of cygwin, using
setup.exe, on a virgin system that has never before had cygwin
installed", where NO special package selection is made.  E.g. a "Base"
installation.

And really, missing icons doesn't break a darn thing. It just makes
things look less pretty, temporarily, until you manually install the
correct package.

--
Chuck

* Re: 1.7.20: cygicons-0.dll has gone missing
@ 2013-06-28 16:28           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-28 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:22:49AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:

>>> base does not needs icons, so in IMHO no.
>>
>> That's a bit flawed line, IMO.
>> Default install should put user's system in a consistent working order.
>> Missing icons is not something I would call "consistent".
>
>What part of a default install [1] *requires* icons from cygicon-0.dll?
>  Now, if you're talking about updating an existing cygwin installation
>via setup.exe [with no special package selection], then yeah -- this is
>a *known* breakage.  But it's better than the previous *known issue*
>where a default "Base" install [1] would pull in python and bits of X11.
>  THAT is what this packaging change was intended to fix, and because we
>did so deliberately in order to break requires: dependencies, we
>couldn't very well avoid the problem you see by adding those same
>requires: dependencies right back.

>when you upgrade.  AND, if you didn't do that...when you see an error
>due to a "routine upgrade"...go back and DO read that list.
>
>[1] And by "default install" I mean "new installation of cygwin, using
>setup.exe, on a virgin system that has never before had cygwin
>installed", where NO special package selection is made.  E.g. a "Base"
>installation.
>
>And really, missing icons doesn't break a darn thing. It just makes
>things look less pretty, temporarily, until you manually install the
>correct package.

What he said.

cgf