* Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
@ 2019-02-20 22:01 Mike Brady
From: Mike Brady @ 2019-02-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there. I'm trying to set up Shairport Sync as a CYGWIN service, and I'm trying to use cygrunsrv.

Briefly, I can get everything to work properly except the D-Bus interface -- when shairport-sync is installed as a service, it can't "own" a well-known name on the "system" D-Bus.

I built a configuration and installer for shairport sync essentially by copying the avahi-daemon-config file.

The Avahi deamon uses the system D-Bus successfully under the username "SYSTEM" and without (AFAICS) changing IDs. But for the life of me, I can't get Shairport Sync to work the same way.

Incidentally, if I change the D Bus policy file for Shairport Sync to be allowed to own its well-known name on D Bus when running under the logged in account, everything is peachy.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Incidentally, I'm the main developer of Shairport Sync -- https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync.

Best wishes
Mike Brady

* Re: Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
@ 2019-02-21 17:40 ` Mike Brady
From: Mike Brady @ 2019-02-21 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello again. Further to the rather vague email below, here is a link to what I did to install Shairport Sync on a fresh Cygwin installation:

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/blob/development/CYGWIN.md <https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/blob/development/CYGWIN.md>

Regards
Mike

> On 20 Feb 2019, at 21:50, Mike Brady <mikebrady@eircom.net> wrote:
>
> Hi there. I'm trying to set up Shairport Sync as a CYGWIN service, and I'm trying to use cygrunsrv.
>
> Briefly, I can get everything to work properly except the D-Bus interface -- when shairport-sync is installed as a service, it can't "own" a well-known name on the "system" D-Bus.
>
> I built a configuration and installer for shairport sync essentially by copying the avahi-daemon-config file.
>
> The Avahi deamon uses the system D-Bus successfully under the username "SYSTEM" and without (AFAICS) changing IDs. But for the life of me, I can't get Shairport Sync to work the same way.
>
> Incidentally, if I change the D Bus policy file for Shairport Sync to be allowed to own its well-known name on D Bus when running under the logged in account, everything is peachy.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received. Incidentally, I'm the main developer of Shairport Sync -- https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync.
>
> Best wishes
> Mike Brady

* Re: Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
@ 2019-02-22 10:21   ` Corinna Vinschen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2019-02-22 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Brady; +Cc: cygwin

Hey Mike,

On Feb 21 16:56, Mike Brady wrote:
> Hello again. Further to the rather vague email below, here is a link to what I did to install Shairport Sync on a fresh Cygwin installation:
>
> https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/blob/development/CYGWIN.md <https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/blob/development/CYGWIN.md>
>
> Regards
> Mike
>

> > On 20 Feb 2019, at 21:50, Mike Brady <mikebrady@eircom.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there. I'm trying to set up Shairport Sync as a CYGWIN service, and I'm trying to use cygrunsrv.
> >
> > Briefly, I can get everything to work properly except the D-Bus interface -- when shairport-sync is installed as a service, it can't "own" a well-known name on the "system" D-Bus.
> >
> > I built a configuration and installer for shairport sync essentially by copying the avahi-daemon-config file.
> >
> > The Avahi deamon uses the system D-Bus successfully under the username "SYSTEM" and without (AFAICS) changing IDs. But for the life of me, I can't get Shairport Sync to work the same way.
> >
> > Incidentally, if I change the D Bus policy file for Shairport Sync to be allowed to own its well-known name on D Bus when running under the logged in account, everything is peachy.
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received. Incidentally, I'm the main developer of Shairport Sync -- https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync.
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Mike Brady

You have been heard, but I have not the faintest clue what d-bus or,
FWIW, avahi are doing.  Ideally, if you could break down the problem
to a simple, self-contained testcase which shows what exactly is not
working on a plain libc level, help may be possible :}

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
@ 2019-02-22 15:14     ` Mike Brady
From: Mike Brady @ 2019-02-22 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for the response, Corinna, and the suggestion. I will do that and come back to you guys.
Mike

@ 2019-02-23  0:00     ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2019-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
@ 2019-02-26  8:41       ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2019-02-26  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Berber, mikebrady; +Cc: cygwin

On 2/22/2019 2:16 PM, René Berber wrote:

> My guess is that its a permission problem: D-Bus by default on Windows
> uses unix sockets (fills up your temp directory with those pesky files :
> - -)
>
> In Cygwin the temp directory has the sticky permission (t), but the
> socket file created by the server most likely doesn't have access for
> anybody else.

---
    I'm not sure, but I'd think dbus demon would be enabled to
talk to the system socket
> Check those permissions to maybe get a clue.
>
> The problem comes from upstream, I'm just not sure because I used to
> build my own, patched, version of DBUS (for a workaround which is to
> use tcp, not unix sockets... but the Windows maintainer says "nobody
> uses tcp sockets on Windows", and then they "improved" security which
> is why I suspect access permissions).

---
    Yeah, they are more than a little bit security paranoid.

I'd like to get the dbus sessions between my desktop & server to talk --
like when I am running an X-app, and press help, it really would be
better if it brought up the browser on my desktop instead of one
on the server via X.

I had hopes as one of their examples specifies tcp in the protocol
field, but supposedly the tcp doesn't work and likely won't due to
security concerns -- mainly because the bus architecture was structured
around the idea of an internal HW bus -- where normally there isn't
much in the way of security.  If they allowed it to be open to
a network, then they think everyone on the internet will have access
and that dbus will be blaimed for a security problem.

I did mention that some people use closed nets between machines
and should be allowed to use dbus to talk between them where desirable,
but he thinks that most hand-held users wouldn't know how to isolate
a net.  On top of that, dbus doesn't have the ability to categorize
if the net is public, private(home) or enterprise(work).  Seemed
like a pain to get working for what would be a plus for me, but
not sure about demand, not to mention working with such paranoid
folk really can be frustrating.

There's a dbus list where they talk about development and security
issues @

best of luck!

* Re: Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
@ 2019-02-27 12:37         ` Mike Brady
From: Mike Brady @ 2019-02-27 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh; +Cc: René Berber, cygwin

Thanks for the comments. I’ll certainly check the security side of things.

What is a bit intriguing is that another application — the Avahi daemon (see http://avahi.org) that provides ZeroConf / Bonjour service discovery services — also uses the D-Bus system bus and it works fine as a cygrunsrv-based daemon. The difference between the two applications with respect to D-Bus is that Shairport Sync uses the high-level GDbus interface that is part of GIO (https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch01.html), whereas the Avahi daemon uses the dbus library directly.

Mike

@ 2019-10-22 14:07     ` Mike Brady
From: Mike Brady @ 2019-10-22 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello again.

I've returned to this continuing problem and come up with a short piece of code which seems to exemplify this problem. It works in Linux and doesn't work in Cygwin.

Basically, the code is an attempt to get a "name" on the D-Bus "system bus" which could be used to provide a system-wide service using the D-Bus IPC protocol.

The attempt to get a name succeeds on Linux (Ubuntu 19.04) and fails on Cygwin (3.0.7). The code uses the high-level GDbus interface that is part of GIO (https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch01.html <https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch01.html>).

Another piece of sample code that uses the regular D-Bus library (libdbus1-devel in Cygwin) seems to work perfectly, which seems to me to suggest that whatever this probelm is, it is not a security issue.

Both of these samples are set up as automake projects and include config and policy files. I'd be happy to share or publish them wherever convenient...

@ 2019-10-22 14:33       ` Mike Brady
From: Mike Brady @ 2019-10-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just as a quick follow-up, I've put the two code samples up on github:

https://github.com/mikebrady/dbus-example <https://github.com/mikebrady/dbus-example> -- this uses the regular dbus1 library and works on Linux and Cygwin.
https://github.com/mikebrady/gdbus-example <https://github.com/mikebrady/gdbus-example> -- this uses the GDbus library from GIO and works in Linux but not in Cygwin.

Best wishes
Mike