* objects created in a dir w/cygwin mangled perms; inherit no-access
@ 2021-07-04  5:44 L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-07-04  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Trying to track down exact conditions for a simpler testcase
for a weird error message in tar and ran across this...

in directory 'SI':
/progd/Microsoft/../Tools/Sysinternals> ll -ad SI
drwxrwxr-x+ 1 0 Jul  3 16:28 SI/

w/umask:
>  umask
0002

I make dir 'newdir':

>  mkdir newdir

and ls -lgG shows:

d---rwxr-x+ 1    0 Jul  3 16:40 newdir/

No access for user(me).

I ran into this because trying to enter the directory in
explorer I got no access!  Trying to look at the perms, I
get warnings about the rights possibly being out of order until
eventually, if I want to proceed, it claims it has to reorder them.

This seems to have come from some weird setting that
seems to come from Cygwin, with 5 deny records at the front
for NULL, 3 local accounts and 1 domain account (me)...
and the local accts ... also me of a sort.

Then come various allows, some of them that would seem
to undo some of the denies, but its really dependent on
order -- which explorer says is suspect...

Fine...so the results when I did the "mkdir newdir", were
such that ended up with u-wrx, and no access in explore?

Of course I can overide, but why are such weird acls on
this anyway? -- especially when it doesn't seem to really
work?