* Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06  4:26 Academy OfFetishes
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).

On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the cygwin
terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full path to
that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't affected.

How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
terminal.

Thanks

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 15:52 ` Chris Wagner
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Wagner @ 2019-06-06 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It won't work if the terminal window was started in administrator mode.
Something to do with Windows's security isolation.

@ 2019-06-06 16:08   ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I don't think it's started in administrator mode.  At least, it doesn't ask
me to run in administrator mode when I start my terminal.

@ 2019-06-06 16:21     ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yeah I ran this code, and it spit out "user":

https://superuser.com/a/1102643/89165

@ 2019-06-06 17:15 ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2019-06-06 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 21:26:06, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:
> Hello,

Hello to you.

> I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
> I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
>
> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the cygwin
> terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full path to
> that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't affected.

On your previous computer? So you are using a freshly installed, new computer?

What does "uname -a" tell you? (just for a start).

> How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
> explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
> terminal.

I do not know ...

You are sitting behind YOUR computer ... Not me.

What did you try? Something that can give us (and you) a clue ...

What happens if you drag a file to Notepad? Does it insert the contents
of that file in the buffer of Notepad?

Maybe you have some ideas of your own ...

Chris tried to help ... but we really need more info.

Henri

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 17:51 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-06-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Academy OfFetishes writes:
> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the cygwin
> terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full path to
> that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't affected.

This just works fine for me on multiple computers, so I suggest it is
something in your environment like shell extensions in Explorer, antivirus
or other BLODA.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-06-06 17:51 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
> I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
>
> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the cygwin
> terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full path to
> that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't affected.
>
> How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
> explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
> terminal.

Works fine for me.

Start by examing your assumptions - run and post output from:
$ cmd /c ver
$ uname -srvmo
$ mintty --version

Next check your Cygwin or mintty startup and post the mintty startup command
here. Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a
tweak and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
Also check if you have an /etc/minttyrc which may change settings, and attach as
text if present.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 17:57   ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Replying inline

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:15 AM Houder <houder@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 21:26:06, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hello to you.
>
> > I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same
> problem.
> > I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
> >
> > On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the
> cygwin
> > terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full path to
> > that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't affected.
>
> On your previous computer? So you are using a freshly installed, new
> computer?

Correct.

> What does "uname -a" tell you? (just for a start).

CYGWIN_NT-10.0 DESKTOP-CJB8HSU 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64
Cygwin

> > How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
> > explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
> > terminal.
>
> I do not know ...
>
> You are sitting behind YOUR computer ... Not me.

Well first of all, is this feature supposed to work by default or is it
something you turn on?

> What did you try? Something that can give us (and you) a clue ...

I tried dragging a file to the terminal.

> What happens if you drag a file to Notepad? Does it insert the contents
> of that file in the buffer of Notepad?

Yes, that works correctly.

@ 2019-06-06 18:01   ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

Replying inline

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brian Inglis <
Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:

> On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> > I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same
> problem.
> > I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
> >
> > On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the
> cygwin
> > terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full path to
> > that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't affected.
> >
> > How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
> > explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
> > terminal.
>
> Works fine for me.
>
> Start by examing your assumptions - run and post output from:
> $ cmd /c ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.503]

> $ uname -srvmo

CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin

> $ mintty --version

mintty 3.0.1 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)
© 2013/2019 Andy Koppe / Thomas Wolff
There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

> Next check your Cygwin or mintty startup and post the mintty startup
> command
> here.

Do you mean the .bash_profile?

It looks like this (I copied it from my old computer):

if [ -f "${HOME}/.bashrc" ] ; then
  source "${HOME}/.bashrc"
fi

# Set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "${HOME}/bin" ] ; then
  PATH="${HOME}/bin:${PATH}"
fi

# Set MANPATH so it includes users' private man if it exists
# if [ -d "${HOME}/man" ]; then
#   MANPATH="${HOME}/man:${MANPATH}"
# fi

# Set INFOPATH so it includes users' private info if it exists
# if [ -d "${HOME}/info" ]; then
#   INFOPATH="${HOME}/info:${INFOPATH}"
# fi

if [ -f ~/.git-completion.bash ]; then
  . ~/.git-completion.bash
fi

mount C: /c/
alias ghci=ghcii.sh

export LFTP_PASSWORD=*****

> Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a
> tweak and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>

It looks like this:

BoldAsFont=no
FontHeight=20
RightClickAction=paste
Font=Courier New

Also check if you have an /etc/minttyrc which may change settings, and
> attach as
> text if present.

I don't have that file on my computer.

Thanks for all the help!

@ 2019-06-06 19:56     ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2019-06-06 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:56:28, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:

> Well first of all, is this feature supposed to work by default or is it
> something you turn on?

Yes.

> > What did you try? Something that can give us (and you) a clue ...
> >
> I tried dragging a file to the terminal.

That is not not what I meant ... You could have told us whether or not the
problem is also present if you install the previous version of MinTTY ...

When I wrote, you are sitting behind your computer, I was not trying to be
nasty ... I meant, you are the _only_ one who can provide us clues, because
right now we have not enough info to help you.

Henri

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 21:59     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-06 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-06 12:00, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> Replying inline
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>> I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
>> I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
>> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the
>> cygwin terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full
>> path to that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't
>> affected.
>> How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
>> explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
>> terminal.

> Works fine for me.
> Start by examining your assumptions - run and post output from:
> $ cmd /c ver
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.503]
> $ uname -srvmo
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin
> $ mintty --version
> mintty 3.0.1 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)
> © 2013/2019 Andy Koppe / Thomas Wolff
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

Good so far - all normal.

> Next check your Cygwin or mintty startup and post the mintty startup command
> here.
> Do you mean the .bash_profile?

No I mean the Windows bat, cmd command line, or lnk shortcut property command
that launches your mintty window.

> Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a tweak
> and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
> It looks like this:
> BoldAsFont=no
> FontHeight=20
> RightClickAction=paste
> Font=Courier New

Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either you
have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running with
some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is your screen
setup like and are you using any such settings or software?

> Also check if you have an /etc/minttyrc which may change settings, and attach
> as text if present.
> I don't have that file on my computer.

Good - as expected.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 22:23       ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

inline reply

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 2:59 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>
wrote:

> On 2019-06-06 12:00, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> > Replying inline
> > On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brian Inglis wrote:
> > On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> >> I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same
> problem.
> >> I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
> >> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the
> >> cygwin terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full
> >> path to that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't
> >> affected.
> >> How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
> >> explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
> >> terminal.
>
> > Works fine for me.
> > Start by examining your assumptions - run and post output from:
> > $ cmd /c ver
> > Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.503]
> > $ uname -srvmo
> > CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin
> > $ mintty --version
> > mintty 3.0.1 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)
> > © 2013/2019 Andy Koppe / Thomas Wolff
> > License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> > There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Good so far - all normal.
>
> > Next check your Cygwin or mintty startup and post the mintty startup
> command
> > here.
> > Do you mean the .bash_profile?
>
> No I mean the Windows bat, cmd command line, or lnk shortcut property
> command
> that launches your mintty window.

Ah it's a shortcut and it runs this: C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i
/Cygwin-Terminal.ico -

> > Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a
> tweak
> > and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
> > It looks like this:
> > BoldAsFont=no
> > FontHeight=20
> > RightClickAction=paste
> > Font=Courier New
>
> Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either
> you
> have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running
> with
> some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is your
> screen
> setup like and are you using any such settings or software?

Yeah I have a huge high resolution screen and bad eyes.  It looks like
this: https://imgur.com/ppTljLs

I made it that tall by changing the properties of the terminal and I did
that by changing these settings: https://imgur.com/3zhCMEX

One thing I did change is this setting on windows (I forgot until you
asked): https://imgur.com/a/M0ckjZs

> > Also check if you have an /etc/minttyrc which may change settings, and
> attach
> > as text if present.
> > I don't have that file on my computer.
>
> Good - as expected.
>
> --
> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>
> This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
> too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
>
> --

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 22:27       ` Academy OfFetishes
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

inline

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:56 PM Houder <houder@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:56:28, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:
>
> > Well first of all, is this feature supposed to work by default or is it
> > something you turn on?
>
> Yes.

Yes to which?  Yes to both?  If it's something you turn on, where is that
setting?

> > > What did you try? Something that can give us (and you) a clue ...
> > >
> > I tried dragging a file to the terminal.
>
> That is not not what I meant ... You could have told us whether or not the
> problem is also present if you install the previous version of MinTTY ...
>
> When I wrote, you are sitting behind your computer, I was not trying to be
> nasty ... I meant, you are the _only_ one who can provide us clues, because
> right now we have not enough info to help you.

When I install a previous version it doesn't make a difference.  I've
installed 2.9.9

I'd like to help more than this, but I don't know what other information I
can provide that would be helpful.

@ 2019-06-06 22:34         ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-06 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

There are two things that I suspect could be the culprit.  I ran these two
scripts after installing windows:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater
https://github.com/alirobe/Reclaim-Windows10

After that, I created a new user I login as and installed cygwin from the
new user.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 3:26 PM Academy OfFetishes <

@ 2019-06-06 22:57           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-06 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-06 16:34, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 3:26 PM Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>>> Yes.
>> Yes to which?  Yes to both?  If it's something you turn on, where is that
>> setting?
>>> That is not not what I meant ... You could have told us whether or not the
>>> problem is also present if you install the previous version of MinTTY ...
>>> When I wrote, you are sitting behind your computer, I was not trying to be
>>> nasty ... I meant, you are the _only_ one who can provide us clues,
>>> because right now we have not enough info to help you.
>> When I install a previous version it doesn't make a difference.  I've
>> installed 2.9.9
>> I'd like to help more than this, but I don't know what other information I
>> can provide that would be helpful.

> There are two things that I suspect could be the culprit.  I ran these two
> scripts after installing windows:
> https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater
> https://github.com/alirobe/Reclaim-Windows10
> After that, I created a new user I login as and installed cygwin from the
> new user.

Oops! These scripts tend to be the proverbial swiss army chainsaw that blows
away anything the writer dislikes about Windows.
I very carefully review and comment out anything that might affect core function
or be difficult to reverse in these scripts, and create System Restore Points.
Did you create a System Restore Point before and after running each of these
scripts?
If so, perhaps you could restore your system?

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 23:03         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-06 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-06 16:22, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 2:59 PM Brian Inglis wrote:
>     On 2019-06-06 12:00, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>     > On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brian Inglis wrote:
>     > On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>     >> I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
>     >> I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
>     >> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the
>     >> cygwin terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full
>     >> path to that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't
>     >> affected.
>     >> How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
>     >> explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
>     >> terminal.
>
>     > Works fine for me.
>     > Start by examining your assumptions - run and post output from:
>     > $ cmd /c ver
>     > Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.503]
>     > $ uname -srvmo
>     > CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin
>     > $ mintty --version
>     > mintty 3.0.1 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)
>     > © 2013/2019 Andy Koppe / Thomas Wolff
>     > License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
>     > There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.
>
>     Good so far - all normal.
>
>     > Next check your Cygwin or mintty startup and post the mintty startup command
>     > here.
>     > Do you mean the .bash_profile?
>
>     No I mean the Windows bat, cmd command line, or lnk shortcut property command
>     that launches your mintty window.
>
> Ah it's a shortcut and it runs this: C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i
> /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -

Normal

>     > Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a tweak
>     > and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
>     > It looks like this:
>     > BoldAsFont=no
>     > FontHeight=20
>     > RightClickAction=paste
>     > Font=Courier New
>
>     Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either you
>     have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running with
>     some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is your screen
>     setup like and are you using any such settings or software?
>
> Yeah I have a huge high resolution screen and bad eyes.  It looks like this:
> https://imgur.com/ppTljLs
>
> I made it that tall by changing the properties of the terminal and I did that by
> changing these settings: https://imgur.com/3zhCMEX
>
> One thing I did change is this setting on windows (I forgot until you asked):
> https://imgur.com/a/M0ckjZs

I recognized the possible setup from people who were probably legally blind.

>> Also check if you have an /etc/minttyrc which may change settings, and
>> attach as text if present.
>> I don't have that file on my computer.
>
> Good - as expected.

Nothing there should have any impact on Drag'n'Drop filenames but your "bloat"
removal could have disabled aspects of Drag'n'Drop.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-06 23:04         ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2019-06-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 15:26:25, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:
> inline
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:56 PM Houder <houder@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:56:28, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:
> >
> > > Well first of all, is this feature supposed to work by default or is it
> > > something you turn on?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> Yes to which?  Yes to both?  If it's something you turn on, where is that
> setting?

Oh, my apologies. Yes, this feature is supposed to work "out-of-the-box"; that
explains why I (we) were wondering what the problem could be at your place.

> > That is not not what I meant ... You could have told us whether or not the
> > problem is also present if you install the previous version of MinTTY ...
> >
> > When I wrote, you are sitting behind your computer, I was not trying to be
> > nasty ... I meant, you are the _only_ one who can provide us clues, because
> > right now we have not enough info to help you.
> >

> When I install a previous version it doesn't make a difference.  I've
> installed 2.9.9
>
> I'd like to help more than this, but I don't know what other information I
> can provide that would be helpful.

You are doing fine now, providing us the "specifics" of your situation. Your
initial post lacked that info.

I am still using W7, and therefore I am afraid I cannot help you anymore. It
may be that Brian I. has some ideas - as far as I know, he is using W10.

I cannot say anything sensible about the 2 scripts you have executed. Sorry.

But I am afraid, that you may have to start from scratch again (reinstalling
W10) in order to find out under what circumstances the MinTTY feature starts
to fail. Yes, that would be a huge disappointment to you, I understand.

(these scripts do scare me a bit :-(

Henri.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-07  3:37         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-07  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-06 16:22, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 2:59 PM Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a
>> tweak and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
>> It looks like this:
>> BoldAsFont=no
>> FontHeight=20
>> RightClickAction=paste
>> Font=Courier New
> Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either you
> have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running
> with some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is
> your screen setup like and are you using any such settings or software?
> Yeah I have a huge high resolution screen and bad eyes.  It looks like this:
> https://imgur.com/ppTljLs
> I made it that tall by changing the properties of the terminal and I did that by
> changing these settings: https://imgur.com/3zhCMEX
> One thing I did change is this setting on windows (I forgot until you asked):
> https://imgur.com/a/M0ckjZs

I noticed you have no explicit selections for mintty locale or charset.

Could you please run the following command and post the output, in case there is
anything unusual with those settings that could cause problems for Drag'n'Drop:

$ for o in -s -u -f -n -i; do locale $o; done

Also what do you see if you open a cmd window and Drag'n'Drop an Explorer file
into that - you should see the Windows path dropped.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-07  4:04           ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-07  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

Inlined

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca>
wrote:

> On 2019-06-06 16:22, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> >> Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a
> >> tweak and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
> >> It looks like this:
> >> BoldAsFont=no
> >> FontHeight=20
> >> RightClickAction=paste
> >> Font=Courier New
> > Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either
> you
> > have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running
> > with some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is
> > your screen setup like and are you using any such settings or software?
> > Yeah I have a huge high resolution screen and bad eyes.  It looks like
> this:
> > https://imgur.com/ppTljLs
> > I made it that tall by changing the properties of the terminal and I did
> that by
> > changing these settings: https://imgur.com/3zhCMEX
> > One thing I did change is this setting on windows (I forgot until you
> asked):
> > https://imgur.com/a/M0ckjZs
>
> I noticed you have no explicit selections for mintty locale or charset.
>
> Could you please run the following command and post the output, in case
> there is
> anything unusual with those settings that could cause problems for
> Drag'n'Drop:
>
> $ for o in -s -u -f -n -i; do locale $o; done

It output this:

$ for o in -s -u -f -n -i; do locale $o; done
en_US
en_US
en_US
en_US
en_US

> Also what do you see if you open a cmd window and Drag'n'Drop an Explorer
> file
> into that - you should see the Windows path dropped.

Yep, that works correctly.

@ 2019-06-07  4:46             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-07  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-06 22:03, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM Brian Inglis wrote:
>     On 2019-06-06 16:22, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>     > On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 2:59 PM Brian Inglis wrote:
>     >>     On 2019-06-06 12:00, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>     >>> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brian Inglis wrote:
>     >>>> On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>     >> Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a
>     >> tweak and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
>     >> It looks like this:
>     >> BoldAsFont=no
>     >> FontHeight=20
>     >> RightClickAction=paste
>     >> Font=Courier New
>     > Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either you
>     > have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running
>     > with some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is
>     > your screen setup like and are you using any such settings or software?
>     > Yeah I have a huge high resolution screen and bad eyes.  It looks like this:
>     > https://imgur.com/ppTljLs
>     > I made it that tall by changing the properties of the terminal and I did
>     that by
>     > changing these settings: https://imgur.com/3zhCMEX
>     > One thing I did change is this setting on windows (I forgot until you asked):
>     > https://imgur.com/a/M0ckjZs
>
>     I noticed you have no explicit selections for mintty locale or charset.
>
>     Could you please run the following command and post the output, in case there is
>     anything unusual with those settings that could cause problems for Drag'n'Drop:
>
>     $ for o in -s -u -f -n -i; do locale $o; done
>
> It output this:
>
> $ for o in -s -u -f -n -i; do locale $o; done
> en_US
> en_US
> en_US
> en_US
> en_US
>

>     Also what do you see if you open a cmd window and Drag'n'Drop an Explorer file
>     into that - you should see the Windows path dropped.
>
> Yep, that works correctly.

Looks like you need to bounce this upstream by raising this issue on
https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/new stating that file D'n'D to cmd works
but mintty doesn't, and copying the background, and Windows, Cygwin, and mintty
info you provided here, to help provide a quicker diagnosis: please be sure to
mention that the Options/Text Locale and Charset boxes are unset, just in case
that could have an effect.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-07  5:20               ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-07  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

Will do!  Thanks for all the help :)

@ 2019-06-07  5:41         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-06-07  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Academy OfFetishes writes:
>> > Well first of all, is this feature supposed to work by default or is it
>> > something you turn on?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
> Yes to which?  Yes to both?  If it's something you turn on, where is that
> setting?

It's supposed to work out of the box, AFAIK.  If you drag the file name,
the mouse pointer changes to show to indicate that Windows would create
a shortcut if you were to drop it onto the desktop.  So that's the first
thing to check if that happens on your system.  Then if you drop it into
MinTTY, MinTTY doesn't care about creating a shortcut, so instead just
uses the text portion of that drag-and-drop data.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-07  5:46           ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-07  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:41 PM Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> it
> >>
> >> Yes.
> >>
> > Yes to which?  Yes to both?  If it's something you turn on, where is that
> > setting?
>
> It's supposed to work out of the box, AFAIK.  If you drag the file name,
> the mouse pointer changes to show to indicate that Windows would create
> a shortcut if you were to drop it onto the desktop.  So that's the first
> thing to check if that happens on your system.  Then if you drop it into
> MinTTY, MinTTY doesn't care about creating a shortcut, so instead just
> uses the text portion of that drag-and-drop data.

The pointer does change, but nothing happens when I release the mouse
button.

@ 2019-06-07  7:41           ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2019-06-07  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 07.06.2019 um 01:04 schrieb Houder:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 15:26:25, Academy OfFetishes  wrote:
>> inline

>>> Yes.
>>>
>> Yes to which?  Yes to both?  If it's something you turn on, where is that
>> setting?
> Oh, my apologies. Yes, this feature is supposed to work "out-of-the-box"; that
> explains why I (we) were wondering what the problem could be at your place.
>
>>> That is not not what I meant ... You could have told us whether or not the
>>> problem is also present if you install the previous version of MinTTY ...
>>>
>>> When I wrote, you are sitting behind your computer, I was not trying to be
>>> nasty ... I meant, you are the _only_ one who can provide us clues, because
>>> right now we have not enough info to help you.
>>>
>> When I install a previous version it doesn't make a difference.  I've
>> installed 2.9.9
>>
>> I'd like to help more than this, but I don't know what other information I
>> can provide that would be helpful.
> You are doing fine now, providing us the "specifics" of your situation. Your
> initial post lacked that info.
>
> I am still using W7, and therefore I am afraid I cannot help you anymore. It
> may be that Brian I. has some ideas - as far as I know, he is using W10.
>
> I cannot say anything sensible about the 2 scripts you have executed. Sorry.
>
> But I am afraid, that you may have to start from scratch again (reinstalling
> W10) in order to find out under what circumstances the MinTTY feature starts
> to fail. Yes, that would be a huge disappointment to you, I understand.
Don't shoot with canons on sparrows (German proverb)!
I can confirm that I observed the issue, occasionally, under yet unclear
conditions. It even stopped to work once in a terminal session where it
initially worked. So no relation to Windows stuff to be assumed.
It would be helpful to find a pattern that raises the issue. It would
also be helpful to check whether it occurs with mintty 3.0.0, as there
were some minor clipboard modifications in 3.0.1.
Thomas

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-07  8:31             ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2019-06-07  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 09:41:45, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Am 07.06.2019 um 01:04 schrieb Houder:
[snip]

> > I cannot say anything sensible about the 2 scripts you have executed. Sorry.
> >
> > But I am afraid, that you may have to start from scratch again (reinstalling
> > W10) in order to find out under what circumstances the MinTTY feature starts
> > to fail. Yes, that would be a huge disappointment to you, I understand.
> Don't shoot with canons on sparrows (German proverb)!

Ah, you mean overkill ...

 - shoot sparrows w/ cannons
 - shoot gnats w/ cannons (Dutch proverb, even stronger :-)
 - crack nuts w/ sledgehammers (English proverb)

> I can confirm that I observed the issue, occasionally, under yet unclear
> conditions. It even stopped to work once in a terminal session where it
> initially worked. So no relation to Windows stuff to be assumed.
> It would be helpful to find a pattern that raises the issue. It would
> also be helpful to check whether it occurs with mintty 3.0.0, as there
> were some minor clipboard modifications in 3.0.1.

Again "Ah", you have the advantage of "Inside Information"; I did not.

Henri

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-07 17:33             ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have the same problem with 3.0.0.

Sorry for slowly dripping out information (I promise that's not my intent),
but I will say, as soon as I created this user account on windows, I had
copy and paste issues that were outside of cygwin.  I recall copying text
from firefox and not being able to paste it into windows explorer and vice
versa (these are contrived examples.  I can't remember what the exact
problems were, but they were similar to this).  It seemed very random,
though.  Like some copy/paste worked, and some did not.  After running sfc
/scannow and restarting twice, the problem seems to have gone away
completely.

I'm not sure if that's relevant to this problem (except that it could point
out a borked windows install).

@ 2019-06-08  0:41               ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2019-06-08  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 11:33, Academy OfFetishes wrote:

> I have the same problem with 3.0.0.
>
> Sorry for slowly dripping out information (I promise that's not my intent),
> but I will say, as soon as I created this user account on windows, I had
> copy and paste issues that were outside of cygwin.  I recall copying text
> from firefox and not being able to paste it into windows explorer and vice
> versa (these are contrived examples.  I can't remember what the exact
> problems were, but they were similar to this).  It seemed very random,
> though.  Like some copy/paste worked, and some did not.  After running sfc
> /scannow and restarting twice, the problem seems to have gone away
> completely.
>
> I'm not sure if that's
to this problem (except that it could point
> out a borked windows install).
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 12:41 AM Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:

I encountered strange clipboard problems as a result of fiddling with
the Clipboard Settings in Win10.

When I turned on "Sync across devices", after a "Copy to clipboard"
operation, sometimes the "Paste from clipboard" operation pasted
nothing or the previous clipboard content. A few moments later,
another "Paste" would paste the content of the most recent "Copy". It
seems as though the content of the clipboard was not updated after a
Copy operation until a Sync to cloud was performed, with the timing
being dependant on WiFi, internet and cloud speeds and latency.

I did not observe any difference in "Drag and Drop" behaviour with
this setting, but I almost exclusively use keyboard Copy and Paste
instead of mouse Drop and Drag.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-08  0:53                 ` Academy OfFetishes
From: Academy OfFetishes @ 2019-06-08  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

That's interesting.  Well my sync settings already seems to be off, but
when I was having issues, it was working just like you described.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new Mintty issue or wait for
Thomas to reply.

@ 2019-06-08  7:10                   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2019-06-08  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.06.2019 um 02:52 schrieb Academy OfFetishes:
> That's interesting.  Well my sync settings already seems to be off, but
> when I was having issues, it was working just like you described.
>
> I'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new Mintty issue or wait for
> Thomas to reply.
1. Please note that this list has a no-top-posting policy. (Respond
below the text you're referring to.)
2. Latest comments are suggesting this may not be a mintty issue.
3. I can only reply if there is a clear question or issue presented.
Even though I noticed the issue once myself, there is still no
"reproducible test case".

@ 2019-06-08 13:12                     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-06-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-06-08 01:10, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 08.06.2019 um 02:52 schrieb Academy OfFetishes:
>>> I encountered strange clipboard problems as a result of fiddling with
>>> the Clipboard Settings in Win10.
>>> When I turned on "Sync across devices", after a "Copy to clipboard"
>>> operation, sometimes the "Paste from clipboard" operation pasted
>>> nothing or the previous clipboard content. A few moments later,
>>> another "Paste" would paste the content of the most recent "Copy". It
>>> seems as though the content of the clipboard was not updated after a
>>> Copy operation until a Sync to cloud was performed, with the timing
>>> being dependant on WiFi, internet and cloud speeds and latency.
>>> I did not observe any difference in "Drag and Drop" behaviour with
>>> this setting, but I almost exclusively use keyboard Copy and Paste
>>> instead of mouse Drop and Drag.
>> That's interesting.  Well my sync settings already seems to be off, but
>> when I was having issues, it was working just like you described.
>> I'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new Mintty issue or wait for
>> Thomas to reply.
> 1. Please note that this list has a no-top-posting policy. (Respond below the
> text you're referring to.)
> 2. Latest comments are suggesting this may not be a mintty issue.
> 3. I can only reply if there is a clear question or issue presented. Even though
> I noticed the issue once myself, there is still no "reproducible test case".

The OP has a reproducible test case: file drag to cmd always works, file drag to
mintty never works: fails on both 3.0.0 and 3.0.7; the rest of us have no
problems: diagnosis opportunity!

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-09 13:05                       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2019-06-09 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.06.2019 um 15:12 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2019-06-08 01:10, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> That's interesting.  Well my sync settings already seems to be off, but
>>> when I was having issues, it was working just like you described.
>>> I'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new Mintty issue or wait for
>>> Thomas to reply.
>> 1. Please note that this list has a no-top-posting policy. (Respond below the
>> text you're referring to.)
>> 2. Latest comments are suggesting this may not be a mintty issue.
>> 3. I can only reply if there is a clear question or issue presented. Even though
>> I noticed the issue once myself, there is still no "reproducible test case".
> The OP has a reproducible test case: file drag to cmd always works, file drag to
> mintty never works: fails on both 3.0.0 and 3.0.7; the rest of us have no
> problems: diagnosis opportunity!
For me it works, mostly. It only failed under erratic circumstances, not
reproducible.

* Re: Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal
@ 2019-06-09 13:20                         ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2019-06-09 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

it works for me:

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 elimelec 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin​

$ mintty.exe --version
mintty 3.0.0 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)​