* Mailing list subscription problems
@ 2022-12-19 15:08 Kyle Marek
From: Kyle Marek @ 2022-12-19 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-owner; +Cc: cygwin

(CC'd the public mailing list for visibility of problems that may be
affecting others)

Hello,

Today I received an email from cygwin-bounces@cygwin.com with the
subject line of "You have been unsubscribed from the Cygwin mailing
list". I also just noticed that my Cygwin directory doesn't have any
emails since the email identified by the following headers:

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 00:42:07 -0800
Subject: You have been added to Newcommercial08
From: Newcommercial08 <newcommercial08+noreply@googlegroups.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com

I'm pretty sure the from address is so bounces are returned to an
address that monitors for bounces. I am guessing that Google has been
bouncing emails from the Cygwin mailing servers, and mailman
automatically unsubscribed me after 25 days of not being able to deliver
a single email to me. However, I am still receiving emails from mailman
itself.

I re-subscribed, logged into the mailman web interface, and confirming
that I am re-subscribed as of 02:47 UTC. I can see on the online archive
that the mailing list has received emails since then, but I am still not
receiving them. Note that they are NOT being sent to my spam directory.

So... Are the mailing list emails being bounced by Google?

Thank you,
Kyle Marek

* Re: Mailing list subscription problems
@ 2022-12-19 17:50 ` David Standish
From: David Standish @ 2022-12-19 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Marek; +Cc: cygwin-owner, cygwin

On 12/19/22, Kyle Marek via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> (CC'd the public mailing list for visibility of problems that may be
> affecting others)
>
> Hello,
>
> Today I received an email from cygwin-bounces@cygwin.com with the
> subject line of "You have been unsubscribed from the Cygwin mailing
> list". I also just noticed that my Cygwin directory doesn't have any
> emails since the email identified by the following headers:
>
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 00:42:07 -0800
> Subject: You have been added to Newcommercial08
> From: Newcommercial08 <newcommercial08+noreply@googlegroups.com>
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>
> I'm pretty sure the from address is so bounces are returned to an
> address that monitors for bounces. I am guessing that Google has been
> bouncing emails from the Cygwin mailing servers, and mailman
> automatically unsubscribed me after 25 days of not being able to deliver
> a single email to me. However, I am still receiving emails from mailman
> itself.
>
> I re-subscribed, logged into the mailman web interface, and confirming
> that I am re-subscribed as of 02:47 UTC. I can see on the online archive
> that the mailing list has received emails since then, but I am still not
> receiving them. Note that they are NOT being sent to my spam directory.
>
> So... Are the mailing list emails being bounced by Google?
>
> Thank you,
> Kyle Marek
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
couple times.

More cygwin mail has been getting through to me that last few days.
Hopefully google has relaxed their filtering,

David

* Re: Mailing list subscription problems
@ 2022-12-19 19:27   ` William Deegan
From: William Deegan @ 2022-12-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Standish; +Cc: Kyle Marek, cygwin-owner, cygwin

ditto!

@ 2022-12-19 19:42   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-12-19 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 19 12:50, David Standish via Cygwin wrote:
> On 12/19/22, Kyle Marek via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > (CC'd the public mailing list for visibility of problems that may be
> > affecting others)
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today I received an email from cygwin-bounces@cygwin.com with the
> > subject line of "You have been unsubscribed from the Cygwin mailing
> > list". I also just noticed that my Cygwin directory doesn't have any
> > emails since the email identified by the following headers:
> > [...]
>
> I've experienced the same problem.  I reactivated my subscription a
> couple times.
>
> More cygwin mail has been getting through to me that last few days.
> Hopefully google has relaxed their filtering,

Actually, Google hasn't relaxed their filtering, rather the DNS record
of the cygwin.com domain was the culprit.  It didn't have the required
(by Google) DKIM/SFP records.  This has been rectified last week,
fortunately, so this shouldn't happen again.  I re-enabled mail for
all accounts having been disabled due to bounces.

HTH,
Corinna

* Re: Mailing list subscription problems
@ 2022-12-19 19:45     ` Kyle Marek
From: Kyle Marek @ 2022-12-19 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/19/22 2:42 PM, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
> On Dec 19 12:50, David Standish via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 12/19/22, Kyle Marek via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>> (CC'd the public mailing list for visibility of problems that may be
>>> affecting others)
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Today I received an email from cygwin-bounces@cygwin.com with the
>>> subject line of "You have been unsubscribed from the Cygwin mailing
>>> list". I also just noticed that my Cygwin directory doesn't have any
>>> emails since the email identified by the following headers:
>>> [...]
>> I've experienced the same problem.  I reactivated my subscription a
>> couple times.
>>
>> More cygwin mail has been getting through to me that last few days.
>> Hopefully google has relaxed their filtering,
> Actually, Google hasn't relaxed their filtering, rather the DNS record
> of the cygwin.com domain was the culprit.  It didn't have the required
> (by Google) DKIM/SFP records.  This has been rectified last week,
> fortunately, so this shouldn't happen again.  I re-enabled mail for
> all accounts having been disabled due to bounces.

Looks like I am receiving mail again!

@ 2022-12-20  1:24     ` Jim Garrison
From: Jim Garrison @ 2022-12-20  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/19/22 11:42, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:

> Actually, Google hasn't relaxed their filtering, rather the DNS record
> of the cygwin.com domain was the culprit.  It didn't have the required
> (by Google) DKIM/SFP records.  This has been rectified last week,
> fortunately, so this shouldn't happen again.  I re-enabled mail for
> all accounts having been disabled due to bounces.

Off-topic but I can't resist :-)  The real irony here is that
while Google has draconian anti-SPAM filtering for _incoming_
mail, they are now one of the leading senders of SPAM, and
emails to their abuse address bounce.  Sigh!

(I'll shut up now)

--
Jim Garrison
jhg@acm.org

@ 2022-12-20  9:00     ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2022-12-20  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Deegan; +Cc: David Standish, Kyle Marek, cygwin-owner, cygwin

<aol>Me too!</aol>

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 at 20:27, William Deegan via Cygwin
<cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> ditto!
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 9:51 AM David Standish via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 12/19/22, Kyle Marek via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > > (CC'd the public mailing list for visibility of problems that may be
> > > affecting others)
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Today I received an email from cygwin-bounces@cygwin.com with the
> > > subject line of "You have been unsubscribed from the Cygwin mailing
> > > list". I also just noticed that my Cygwin directory doesn't have any
> > > emails since the email identified by the following headers:
> > >
> > > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 00:42:07 -0800
> > > Subject: You have been added to Newcommercial08
> > > From: Newcommercial08 <newcommercial08+noreply@googlegroups.com>
> > > To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure the from address is so bounces are returned to an
> > > address that monitors for bounces. I am guessing that Google has been
> > > bouncing emails from the Cygwin mailing servers, and mailman
> > > automatically unsubscribed me after 25 days of not being able to deliver
> > > a single email to me. However, I am still receiving emails from mailman
> > > itself.
> > >
> > > I re-subscribed, logged into the mailman web interface, and confirming
> > > that I am re-subscribed as of 02:47 UTC. I can see on the online archive
> > > that the mailing list has received emails since then, but I am still not
> > > receiving them. Note that they are NOT being sent to my spam directory.
> > >
> > > So... Are the mailing list emails being bounced by Google?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Kyle Marek
> > >
> > > --
> > > Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> > > FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> > > Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
> > couple times.
> >
> > More cygwin mail has been getting through to me that last few days.
> > Hopefully google has relaxed their filtering,
> >
> > David
> >
> > --
> > Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> > FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> > Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
> >

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

(sorry :)
Csaba
--
You can get very substantial performance improvements
by not doing the right thing. - Scott Meyers, An Effective C++11/14 Sampler