* CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-08 12:17 David Spencer
From: David Spencer @ 2018-05-08 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Morning,

I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version approved for our system at present, is there a way I can Version 2.8

Thank You
Randy Spencer
Castalia Systems
4301 Wilson Blvd, Building 492
6th floor Cube: 649D
Arlington, VA 22201
Phone: 412-567-4881

* Re: CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-08 13:04 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-05-08 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: dspencer

On 5/8/2018 1:22 PM, David Spencer wrote:
> Morning,
>
> I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version approved for our system at present, is there a way I can Version 2.8
>
> Thank You
> Randy Spencer

Hi David/Randy,

you should use the "Cygwin Time Machine Information"

http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

* Re: CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-09  8:30 ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2018-05-09  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 08.05.2018 um 13:22 schrieb David Spencer:
> Morning,
>
> I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version approved for our system at present,

Providing that is, to a great extent, actually the job of whoever
approves versions of Cygwin for you.

That's because the version number of cygwin itself barely begins to
define an actual fixed configuration of the whole Cygwin environment
you'll be installing: that's _one_ package whose version number has been
nailed down, but _hundreds_ of others left totally floating.

The only practical way of defining an installation of which it can even
make sense to call it "approved" is to host a fixed mirror repository
that's controlled by whoever does the approving, inside the organization
that requires said approval.

* Re: CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-14 14:31   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-05-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/8/2018 3:28 PM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
> Am 08.05.2018 um 13:22 schrieb David Spencer:
>> Morning,
>>
>> I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version
>> approved for our system at present,

So your company is stating it wants to use buggy and susceptible
applications.  I don't think so.  Go back to the IT security team and
state that 2.10 is the latest version of Cygwin and ask if it is okay.
If not then ask them to provide you with a suitable version.

> Providing that is, to a great extent, actually the job of whoever
> approves versions of Cygwin for you.

The company should provide a common mirror of approved applications.

> That's because the version number of cygwin itself barely begins to
> define an actual fixed configuration of the whole Cygwin environment
> you'll be installing: that's _one_ package whose version number has been
> nailed down, but _hundreds_ of others left totally floating.

The version number of the Cygwin DLL doesn't provide the versions of all
of the components possible to use.  A company approving a specific
version of Cygwin DLL is clueless as to what Cygwin is.

> The only practical way of defining an installation of which it can even
> make sense to call it "approved" is to host a fixed mirror repository
> that's controlled by whoever does the approving, inside the organization
> that requires said approval.

Exactly!

--
cyg Simple

* Re: CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-14 17:05   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-05-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-05-08 06:13, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 5/8/2018 1:22 PM, David Spencer wrote:
>> I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version approved for
>> our system at present, is there a way I can Version 2.8
> you should use the "Cygwin Time Machine Information"
> http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

You really need a date/time stamp to characterize Cygwin "releases". Which of
the 3 Cygwin dll releases 2.8.0 thru 2.8.2, and 118 rolling package release sets
from 2017-04 thru 2017-09 do you have from:

http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/64bit/index.html

and which packages were picked from the 10,000 available in each release, as
shown by running:

	$ grep '1$' /etc/setup/installed.db

* Re: CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-14 19:30     ` Lee
From: Lee @ 2018-05-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/14/18, cyg Simple   wrote:
> On 5/8/2018 3:28 PM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
>> Am 08.05.2018 um 13:22 schrieb David Spencer:
>>> Morning,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get CYGWIN Version 2.8, this is the only version
>>> approved for our system at present,
>
> So your company is stating it wants to use buggy and susceptible
> applications.  I don't think so.

And I don't think you've ever experienced the joys of being a USG contractor :)

betting they're a contractor.

> state that 2.10 is the latest version of Cygwin and ask if it is okay.

Which is assuming that whatever person on the IT security team you ask
has the authority to override policy.  Staff _follows_ policy, they
don't make it.

> If not then ask them to provide you with a suitable version.

You seem to be under the impression that contractors are allowed to
make waves and stay employed there.

>> Providing that is, to a great extent, actually the job of whoever
>> approves versions of Cygwin for you.

I'd say it's the job of whoever came up with the policy of having an
'approved software' list in the first place to also come up with a
policy of keeping the list current but whatever..

It'd be nice to think the situation has changed in the years since I
was in the same position but apparently not.  What worked for me was
opening a support ticket with the group that keeps the approved
software list and asking what it takes to get the current version of
cygwin approved.

There's forms to be filled out, procedures to be followed, and in a
few weeks the current version of cygwin is on the approved list.

Regards,
Lee

* Re: CYGWIN 2.8
@ 2018-05-14 23:49       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-05-14 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/14/2018 3:29 PM, Lee wrote:
> On 5/14/18, cyg Simple   wrote:

>> So your company is stating it wants to use buggy and susceptible
>> applications.  I don't think so.
>
> And I don't think you've ever experienced the joys of being a USG contractor :)

Thank the heavens, I have not; however, I have been a contractor where
the contracting firm places the same restrictions on it's employees but
that doesn't matter.

> betting they're a contractor.

So what!  If you follow the correct policies and don't come off crass in
your request to install software to get the work done then it shouldn't
be too difficult.

>> state that 2.10 is the latest version of Cygwin and ask if it is okay.
>
> Which is assuming that whatever person on the IT security team you ask
> has the authority to override policy.  Staff _follows_ policy, they
> don't make it.

Yes, I should have worded it slightly better, you must follow the
official process of getting the approved list updated.

>> If not then ask them to provide you with a suitable version.
>
> You seem to be under the impression that contractors are allowed to
> make waves and stay employed there.

I worked as a contractor for many years, now retired, and "made waves"
successfully by being thorough in what I was stating with facts.  If you
prove that you know what you're talking about then people listen even to
contractors.

>>> Providing that is, to a great extent, actually the job of whoever
>>> approves versions of Cygwin for you.
>
> I'd say it's the job of whoever came up with the policy of having an
> 'approved software' list in the first place to also come up with a
> policy of keeping the list current but whatever..

Perhaps but I'm guessing the policy creator may no longer be around to
improve the policy.  It's now up to a department of people to make those
changes.

> It'd be nice to think the situation has changed in the years since I
> was in the same position but apparently not.  What worked for me was
> opening a support ticket with the group that keeps the approved
> software list and asking what it takes to get the current version of
> cygwin approved.
>
> There's forms to be filled out, procedures to be followed, and in a
> few weeks the current version of cygwin is on the approved list.

Yes, exactly there are forms to be filled out but that doesn't mean
those forms just be filled out and not followed up by other communication.

--
cyg Simple