* can't run cygwin emacs or XWin Server
@ 2016-12-25 12:55 mike
From: mike @ 2016-12-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I run 32 bit cygwin on a 64 bit machine running Windows 7.

I used to get an XWin Server terminal running bash at startup (logging
into Windows) from which I could run the emacs packaged in cygwin.
After a round of updates I don't get the terminal window at startup and
if I try to manually launch it it fails to launch and AFAICT if I try to
run emacs from a command prompt I get the native version of emacs that I
also have installed and not the cygwin one.  The shortcut for XWin Server is

    C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

This seems to me to be the "phantom /usr/bin issue" mentioned at
www.postgresql.org/message-id/blngoc%24nrr%241%40sea.gmane.org because I
get the same behaviour described there and in related posts.  I have
verified that "/usr/bin" and "/bin" are the same as far as ls is
concerned.  The relevant part of the path as shown in System Properties
 > Advanced > Environment Variables is "C:\cygwin\usr\bin;C:\cygwin\bin"
which precedes
"C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\emacs-25.1-2-i686-w64-mingw32\bin" in the path
which is what ends up running.

However if I run the MS shell in emacs or use command prompt then "which
ls", "which bash", "which emacs", "which printenv", "which startxwin"
and "which which" all come back with "/usr/bin/..." so those are
recognised by which at least.

I hope I'm just missing the obvious.  Thanks for any help

Merry Christmas
Mike

* Re: can't run cygwin emacs or XWin Server
@ 2016-12-25 15:14 ` Marco Atzeri
       [not found]   ` <4d56587d-8b6d-ad01-8b8d-ad08408c2eb6@onetel.com>
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-12-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/12/2016 13:55, mike wrote:
> I run 32 bit cygwin on a 64 bit machine running Windows 7.
>
> I used to get an XWin Server terminal running bash at startup (logging
> into Windows) from which I could run the emacs packaged in cygwin.
> After a round of updates I don't get the terminal window at startup and
> if I try to manually launch it it fails to launch and AFAICT if I try to
> run emacs from a command prompt I get the native version of emacs that I
> also have installed and not the cygwin one.  The shortcut for XWin
> Server is
>
>    C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

Question:
Is the Xserver running and you just don't have the Xterm automatically run ?
If yes, the behavior is the current default.

If no, and the Xserver does not run at all, please follow

and provide as attachment the cygcheck.out.

> Merry Christmas
> Mike

Buon Natale
Marco

* Re: can't run cygwin emacs or XWin Server
@ 2016-12-25 22:59   ` mike
       [not found]   ` <4d56587d-8b6d-ad01-8b8d-ad08408c2eb6@onetel.com>
From: mike @ 2016-12-25 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/12/2016 15:13, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 25/12/2016 13:55, mike wrote:
>> I run 32 bit cygwin on a 64 bit machine running Windows 7.
>>
>> I used to get an XWin Server terminal running bash at startup (logging
>> into Windows) from which I could run the emacs packaged in cygwin.
>> After a round of updates I don't get the terminal window at startup and
>> if I try to manually launch it it fails to launch and AFAICT if I try to
>> run emacs from a command prompt I get the native version of emacs that I
>> also have installed and not the cygwin one.  The shortcut for XWin
>> Server is
>>
>>    C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe
>
> Question:
> Is the Xserver running and you just don't have the Xterm automatically
> run ?
> If yes, the behavior is the current default.
>

> If no, and the Xserver does not run at all, please follow
Okay but what am I looking for?  Is it an application, a process, a
service or a "task" (in Windows terms)?  What name am I looking for?
I've tried the Task Manager, MSCONFIG and Display Running Tasks but
nothing obvious jumps out at me.  According to cygcheck -c I have
packages xorg-cf-files, xorg-docs, xorg-scripts, xorg-server,
xorg-server-dmx, xorg-sgml-doctools, xorg-util-macros and
xorg-x11-bin-dlls installed and up to date.  I also have emacs,
emacs-el, emacs-ocaml and emacs-X11 and bash, bash-completion and bashdb
installed and up to date.

You also mentioned the default behaviour.  What would that be?  Can you
point me to something that I can read to learn about the default
behaviour please?

Thanks in advance

@ 2016-12-25 23:49     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-12-25 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/25/2016 5:59 PM, mike wrote:
> On 25/12/2016 15:13, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> On 25/12/2016 13:55, mike wrote:
>>> I run 32 bit cygwin on a 64 bit machine running Windows 7.
>>>
>>> I used to get an XWin Server terminal running bash at startup (logging
>>> into Windows) from which I could run the emacs packaged in cygwin.
>>> After a round of updates I don't get the terminal window at startup and
>>> if I try to manually launch it it fails to launch and AFAICT if I try to
>>> run emacs from a command prompt I get the native version of emacs that I
>>> also have installed and not the cygwin one.  The shortcut for XWin
>>> Server is
>>>
>>>    C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

startxwin.exe doesn't exist any more.  It's been replaced by a script
/usr/bin/startxwin.  And, as Marco said, it doesn't start an xterm
automatically any more.  See

   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

Ken

* Re: can't run cygwin emacs or XWin Server
@ 2016-12-26 10:46       ` mike
From: mike @ 2016-12-26 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/12/2016 23:49, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/25/2016 5:59 PM, mike wrote:

> startxwin.exe doesn't exist any more.  It's been replaced by a script
> /usr/bin/startxwin.  And, as Marco said, it doesn't start an xterm
> automatically any more.  See
>
>   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html
That is very useful.  Thank you.  I will check it out and report back.

> Ken
Mike

       [not found]     ` <37973e96-6891-2500-5bb0-b8bb8fb8959b@gmail.com>
@ 2016-12-26 13:09       ` mike
From: mike @ 2016-12-26 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Marco okay my mistake sorry I made a mistake.  I've re-posted to the
list.

Best regards and thanks for your help
Mike

@ 2016-12-28 10:21       ` mike
From: mike @ 2016-12-28 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/12/2016 23:49, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/25/2016 5:59 PM, mike wrote:

> startxwin.exe doesn't exist any more.  It's been replaced by a script
> /usr/bin/startxwin.  And, as Marco said, it doesn't start an xterm
> automatically any more.  See
>
>   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

Hi developers

This is a sanity check.  Are
https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.pdf and
https://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.pdf relatively up to date
with respect to the major changes announced in the link of 06 Jul 2015
above?

Thanks very much
Mike

@ 2016-12-28 14:29         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-12-28 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mike

On 28/12/2016 10:21, mike wrote:
> Hi developers
>
> This is a sanity check.  Are
> https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.pdf and
> https://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.pdf relatively up to date
> with respect to the major changes announced in the link of 06 Jul 2015
> above?

Those documents certainly should be aligned with those changes.

If you find anything which seems out of date, incorrect, or just
unclear, please let us know so we can fix it :-)

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer