* openldap
@ 2019-07-22 23:28 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2019-07-22 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

OpenLdap looks to be currently abandoned:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

This is an issue because it can (and currently is) used by Cygwin cURL build:

https://github.com/cygwinports/curl/blob/2e953092/curl.cygport#L55

I think the best solution at this time is to simply remove OpenLdap from cURL
builds until this is resolved. Failing that, I can volunteer to take up
maintenance of OpenLdap if it really need to be kept along. However I am not
sure this is the case, as my understand is OpenLdap is only used in these type
cases:

    curl ldaps://ldap.foo.com

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44546116

and wouldnt change anything with regard to standard HTTP/HTTPS/FTP etc
protocols. Personally I have never used OpenLdap so I could care less if its
removed. But again I can respect if we have a significant amount of users that
need it.

* Re: openldap
@ 2019-07-23  3:37 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2019-07-23  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 2019-07-22 at 16:28 -0700, Steven Penny wrote:
> OpenLdap looks to be currently abandoned:
>
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> This is an issue because it can (and currently is) used by Cygwin cURL build:
>
> https://github.com/cygwinports/curl/blob/2e953092/curl.cygport#L55
>
> I think the best solution at this time is to simply remove OpenLdap from cURL
> builds until this is resolved.

I disagree; we should not be removing the means for secure
communications from packages.  The proper approach is for this package
to get a maintainer again, and get the latest version built with
OpenSSL 1.1.

--
Yaakov

* Re: OpenLDAP
@ 2002-08-08  6:22   ` Flynn
From: Flynn @ 2002-08-08  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote in

<snip>
>> I'm facing two major big problems with a build of OpenLDAP I made
>> recentl
> y.
>> I use this build as a Windows 2000 service using cygrunsrv.
>>

>> 1)
>> In order to run it as a service, I need to specify "-d 0" as a slapd
>> parameter. The result is that after some commands, NT/2000 eventlog
>> is full. If I remove the parameter, the program fails to launch as a
>> service
> .
>>
>> Any way of avoiding to use that parameter ?
>
> Patch openLDAP to not fork() and detach. You'll find that if you look
> at what it does when -d is passed. I suggest adding something like -N
> that prevents the fork() and detach, without altering the debug
> levels.
>
> Rob

<snip>

Thanks a lot for solving my first problem.

Any idea about the second one ?
If I shut down the service ("net stop slapd"), before shutting down the
server, everything seems to be fine.

Is the SIGTERM I use too "powerful" ? Maybe it kills the service instead
of telling it to end properly.

Flynn.

* Re: OpenLDAP
@ 2002-08-08  4:31 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-08-08  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flynn; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 20:43, Flynn wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm facing two major big problems with a build of OpenLDAP I made recently.
> I use this build as a Windows 2000 service using cygrunsrv.
>

> 1)
> In order to run it as a service, I need to specify "-d 0" as a slapd
> parameter. The result is that after some commands, NT/2000 eventlog is
> full. If I remove the parameter, the program fails to launch as a service.
>
> Any way of avoiding to use that parameter ?

Patch openLDAP to not fork() and detach. You'll find that if you look at
what it does when -d is passed. I suggest adding something like -N that
prevents the fork() and detach, without altering the debug levels.

Rob

* OpenLDAP
@ 2002-08-08  4:08 Flynn
From: Flynn @ 2002-08-08  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everyone.

I'm facing two major big problems with a build of OpenLDAP I made recently.
I use this build as a Windows 2000 service using cygrunsrv.

1)
In order to run it as a service, I need to specify "-d 0" as a slapd
parameter. The result is that after some commands, NT/2000 eventlog is
full. If I remove the parameter, the program fails to launch as a service.

Any way of avoiding to use that parameter ?

2)
On my personal computer (Windows 2000 Pro), I can shutdown and restart the
OS, without any impact towards OpenLDAP.

But, on Windows 2000 Server (DC), anytime I shutdown and restart the
server, the OpenLDAP database seems to be corrupted. I'm unable to find the
RootDSE again, and slapindex fails with a "could not open database"
message.

Does it come from the termsig I used for cygrunsrv (QUIT) ?

I really need help.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive my bad English.

Flynn.

* Re: OpenLDAP
@ 2000-11-14 18:05 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-11-14 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Blot; +Cc: cygwin

Emmanuel,

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 05:28:12PM -0000, Emmanuel Blot wrote:
> Has someone been able to compile the OpenLDAP project with Cygwin ?

I have had partial success.  Specifically, I can build everything except
for the servers (i.e., clients and libraries).  Since, I was only really
interested in the libraries, I did not pursue it further.  Although, I
think that the main issue is the lack of full Cygwin pthreads support --
which I think that you have already noticed.

Since then I have learned of GNU Portable Threads:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/pth.html

which can be built as pthreads.  This may or may not work for you in
this context.  It did seem to work to add threading to Cygwin Python as
indicated in:

Attached is my recipe for building OpenLDAP including a script to deal
with a case sensitivity issue in too many makefiles to hand edit.  May be
you or someone else will find it helpful.

Let me know if you get the servers to work.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

[-- Attachment #2: fix.sh --]
[-- Type: text/x-shellscript, Size: 471 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash

prefix=_
find . -name '*Version.c' |
while read path
do
	dir=$(dirname $path)
	file=$(basename $path)
	cp $path $path.orig
	mv $path $dir/$prefix$file
done

find . -name Makefile | xargs fgrep -l /Version.c |
while read path
do
	cp $path $path.orig
	sed -e 's/Version\.c/_Version.c/' $path >tmp.$$
	mv tmp.$$ $path
done

path=./servers/slapd/shell-backends/Makefile
cp $path $path.orig
sed -e 's/pwd-Version\.c/_pwd-Version.c/' $path >tmp.$$
mv tmp.$$ $path

* OpenLDAP
@ 2000-11-14  9:28 Emmanuel Blot
From: Emmanuel Blot @ 2000-11-14  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Has someone been able to compile the OpenLDAP project with Cygwin ?

I encounter problems with the configure script in the pthread detection section. What is the thread libs supported by Cygwin. The
script seems to not detect the _beginthread routine although it is available on NT... Any idea ??
I use the -libcrtdll flag. Should I use any other one (_beginthread also appear in libcrtdll.a, libmsvcrt.a, libmsvcrt40.a,
libmsvcrt20.a) ?

Thanks,
Emmanuel.