public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Re: Docbook tools
@ 1999-09-06  5:31 Stephane Bortzmeyer
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer @ 1999-09-06  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Brand; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss, Adam Di Carlo, bortzmeyer

On Monday 6 September 1999, at 10 h 26, the keyboard of Guy Brand
<guybrand@chimie.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

>   I was wondering last week why there wasn't a generic DocBook mailing
>   list where specific questions to the DTD, usage, etc could be sent.

davenport@berkshire.net

AFAIK, it is only about the DTD (the last thread was about extensions to
DocBook to document object-oriented languages), not about add-ons like the
stylesheets, and even less about the tools like jade or SGMLtools.

* DocBook tools
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Clarissa Kao
From: Clarissa Kao @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Hi.

I got a copy of Mark Galassi's "Get Going With DocBook" guide. Appendix
A.2 seems to indicate that there is a version of the DocBook tools
available for windows users. However, it doesn't say where we can get
the tools.

Thanks,
Clarissa
________________________________
Clarissa S. Kao
ckao@virage.com
(650)581-8025

* Re: Docbook tools
@ 1999-09-06  8:21 David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 1999-09-06  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebisch; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> writes:

> - It is indeed a very good idea to use RPM packages for those using
> RedHat-based
> systems (I am one, I am using LinuxPPC for Macintosh ;-) ). What is
> the reason
> for putting both the 3.0 version and the 3.1 version of the DocBook
> DTD in
> the RPM archive? It makes the file bigger.

It is unfair to compare a system like RPM to tar.gz or other
archiving/compression formats. RPMs *add* functionality, thus
sometimes larger files. Mark is working on other packages.

> - Have you encountered the same problems we have encountered with
> non-English
> languages and the TeX backend ? We did not manage to make the Babel
> package
> work with French, and we still feel very unsecure about Corean,
> Chinese (all
> encodings), Greek and Russian. We also would love to switch to
> Unicode encoding
> for all non-latin languages. Have you already any experience about
> that ?

This is actually a problem with TeX itself. The French style file
(french.sty) now has some major licensing issues thanks to its creator
changing the license. The file was removed from the CTAN repository
and it breaks things like jadetex that still try to call it. This
should be fixed in Mark's latest version but you might find older
versions still rely on the style file.

As you might guess, this is bad news for anyone who wants to write
French documents and use TeX but as long as they want to agree to the
new license they can still use it. I would recommend French users to
make html with a big juicy note as to why there is no PostScript or
TeX files.

As to the CKVJ languages, there is now support for Japanese in DocBook
but you will need to write language files for other languages. These
files are part of the Stylesheets and are really quite easy to write
as long as you have someone who knows the language. TeX should be able
to handle the CKVJ languages fine, I don't know about Greek. Russian
works fine but make sure you have the latest stylesheets as there is a
new ISOcryl(or whatever its called) file in there. Norman Walsh can
speak to this a little better than me.

Good Luck, its great to see you guys moving to DocBook, this is a
great step for your project and mine(GNOME) to start sharing things
like a help browser backend.

Cheers,

Dave

* Docbook tools
@ 1999-09-05 14:13 Eric Bischoff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Bischoff @ 1999-09-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss; +Cc: kde-docbook

Hello everybody,

My name is Eric Bischoff and I recently subscribed to docbook-tools-discuss at
Cygnus. I am participating to the KDE project as documentation coordinator. KDE
is an integrated desktop for Unix systems and has several links with the Linux
project and other free software initiatives. Visit http://www.kde.org for more
information.

We at KDE are in the process of changing our documentation file format from
LinuxDoc-SGML to DocBook-SGML. In order to make it easy for our many translators
and documentation writers to use DocBook tools such as James Clark's Jade, the
OASIS DocBook DTD and Norman Walsh Stylesheet, I was planning to package all
this stuff all together - exactly what you have done at Cygnus.

So it is very likely that such an effort should not be duplicate, and that we
should use Cygnus tools here at KDE, maybe with some extensions and/or
parametrization for the specific needs of the KDE project.

The DocBook team at KDE has also developped some tools that could prove of some
interest for other users, such as a crash course to DocBook that people report
to be of quality. Have a look at
http://www.kde.org/documentation/docbook/index.html .

I had not the time to examine the details of Cygnus packaging, this will be
done in the next days. But a few questions I would love to ask have already
arisen :

- You have packaged nearly exactly the same tools I was planning to, with the
same version numbers. There is one main exception, Norman Walsh's stylesheet. I
may be wrong, but it looks like you have packaged version 0.10, whereas version
1.42 is the current one. Is there a reason for that ?

- Why not putting everything in a single tarball / RPM / SRPM ? There could be
a single ./configure / make / make install sequence.

- It is indeed a very good idea to use RPM packages for those using RedHat-based
systems (I am one, I am using LinuxPPC for Macintosh ;-) ). What is the reason
for putting both the 3.0 version and the 3.1 version of the DocBook DTD in
the RPM archive? It makes the file bigger.

- Have you encountered the same problems we have encountered with non-English
languages and the TeX backend ? We did not manage to make the Babel package
work with French, and we still feel very unsecure about Corean, Chinese (all
encodings), Greek and Russian. We also would love to switch to Unicode encoding
for all non-latin languages. Have you already any experience about that ?

- I don't know what the hyperref package is and why it may be part of DocBook
tools. Maybe I should try harder to understand that. Any help ?

I hope that all these questions are interesting this discussion list, I
apologize in advance for not having read all the archive of this mailing list,
I was short in time.

Eric

PS I will forward the reply(ies) to the KDE DocBook team : Frederik Fouvry and
David Rugge.
     .~.    "Release of Windows 2000 has been
     /V\      postponed until January 1, 1901"
   //   \\
  /(     )\
    ^^-^^
Eric Bischoff - mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr