public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* Package versioning requirements for an epk
@ 2011-01-03 20:30 Michael Bergandi
From: Michael Bergandi @ 2011-01-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Developer List

Can someone explain/confirm the versioning requirements for an epk
package distribution?

From what I can tell, you used to be able to get away with
$PACKAGE/current, but it looks like ecosadmin.tcl might have been
updated to force proper verisioning. The package I am testing does use
'current' as the version directory in the epk, but the ecosadmin.tcl
tool is barking about the package not having a version directory.

Mike

* Re: Package versioning requirements for an epk
@ 2011-01-04  8:33 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2011-01-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Bergandi; +Cc: eCos Developer List

Hi Michael

Michael Bergandi wrote:

> Can someone explain/confirm the versioning requirements for an epk
> package distribution?
>
> From what I can tell, you used to be able to get away with
> $PACKAGE/current, but it looks like ecosadmin.tcl might have been
> updated to force proper verisioning. The package I am testing does use
> 'current' as the version directory in the epk, but the ecosadmin.tcl
> tool is barking about the package not having a version directory.

Using "current" as a version directory within a .epk file should work,
but the tool is intended for easy distribution of package _releases_ so
version directory names in the "v1_0" style make more sense in the
majority of cases.

For avoidance of doubt, the directory path fragments in ecos.db should
always point to the parent directory of the package version directory.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer

* Re: Package versioning requirements for an epk
@ 2011-01-04 14:35 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2011-01-04 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Bergandi; +Cc: eCos Developer List

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Michael Bergandi wrote:
> Can someone explain/confirm the versioning requirements for an epk
> package distribution?

The gory details about eCos 'Package Versioning':
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/cdl-guide/package.versions.html

> From what I can tell, you used to be able to get away with
> $PACKAGE/current, but it looks like ecosadmin.tcl might have been
> updated to force proper verisioning. The package I am testing does use
> 'current' as the version directory in the epk, but the ecosadmin.tcl
> tool is barking about the package not having a version directory.

In no way I could reproduce this.

Sergei

* Re: Package versioning requirements for an epk
@ 2011-01-04 19:22   ` Michael Bergandi
From: Michael Bergandi @ 2011-01-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Developer List

John,

> Using "current" as a version directory within a .epk file should work,
> but the tool is intended for easy distribution of package _releases_ so
> version directory names in the "v1_0" style make more sense in the
> majority of cases.

Well, it only works if you know how to tar the package properly! ;)

I used "tar czvf dummy.epk . ", when I should have used "tar czvf
dummy.epk * " from the root of my package directory. Once I figured
that out, it works fine.

Thanks for confirming it should work with 'current' as the version directory.

--
Mike