* [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-10 13:20 Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-08-10 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eCos Disuss'

My program won't work with the new redboot I just compiled.  It does the
following.

$ arm-elf-gdb.exe -nw RigSystem.exe
GNU gdb 5.0
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
(gdb) set remotebaud 115200
(gdb) target remote com1
Remote debugging using com1
0xe0006630 in ?? ()
(gdb) load
Start address 0x20040 , load size 343372
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Transfer rate: 80793 bits/sec, 306 bytes/write.
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Interrupted while waiting for the program.
Give up (and stop debugging it)? (y or n) y
(gdb)

Any ideas?

Trenton D. Adams
Extreme Engineering
#17, 6025 - 12 St. SE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2H 2K1

Phone: 403 640 9494 ext-208
Fax: 403 640 9599

http://www.extremeeng.com

* Re: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-10 14:28 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> My program won't work with the new redboot I just compiled.  It does the
> following.
>
> $ arm-elf-gdb.exe -nw RigSystem.exe
> GNU gdb 5.0
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
> (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
> (gdb) target remote com1
> Remote debugging using com1
> 0xe0006630 in ?? ()
> (gdb) load
> Start address 0x20040 , load size 343372
> Ignoring packet error, continuing...

Just a download error?

> Transfer rate: 80793 bits/sec, 306 bytes/write.
> (gdb) cont
> Continuing.
> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
> Interrupted while waiting for the program.
> Give up (and stop debugging it)? (y or n) y
> (gdb)
>
> Any ideas?

set debug remote 1

Or just... try again, it could have just been a flaky download, or is it
repeatable.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-10 22:29   ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-08-10 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

No, it's not likely a download error.  I tried it several times.

Set debug remote 1 makes a lot of stuff come up.  It's crazy.

--
Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223)
271062 Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||

* Re: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-11  6:53     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-11  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> No, it's not likely a download error.  I tried it several times.
>
> Set debug remote 1 makes a lot of stuff come up.  It's crazy.

Try "set remote binary 0" first to stop it outputting non-text characters.
Or possibly instead use "set remotelogfile" to put it straight to a file,
and analyze the traffic afterwards.

Generally if you get a packet error in a load it implies you are
overwriting the RAM area of RedBoot/GDB stubs alreay running. Normally
0x20000 is enough, but perhaps do an "arm-elf-objdump -h" of your Redboot
executable it is running to check it isn't going above that.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-11 18:05 ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2001-08-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tadams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> My program won't work with the new redboot I just compiled.  It does the
> following.

> $ arm-elf-gdb.exe -nw RigSystem.exe
> GNU gdb 5.0
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
> (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
> (gdb) target remote com1
> Remote debugging using com1
> 0xe0006630 in ?? ()
> (gdb) load
> Start address 0x20040 , load size 343372
> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
> Transfer rate: 80793 bits/sec, 306 bytes/write.

Because you get the "Start address..." message, the download of code
was successful. The only thing that happens between that message and
the "Transfer rate..." message is the setting of the PC. That register
setting packet must be the one that gets the packet error. The
"Ignoring packet error..." message could be the result of any number
of problems receiving a packet. After sending a set register  packet,
GDB expects the target to respond with an "OK" packet. Presumably, it
is this OK packet (or perhaps lack of it) that is causing the problem.
Turning on remote protocol debug is the best way to start tracking
down these sorts of problems. So, turn on debugging with:

  (gdb) set remotedebug 1

or with newer GDBs:

  (gdb) set debug remote 1

Post the last bit of the debug output from the load command and
we'll help you interpret it. You'll get a bunch of stuff from
the load data, but the interesting part for this problem will
start with GDB sending the "$P" packet to set the pc.

--Mark

* RE: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-13  8:35   ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-08-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

I recompiled redboot again, and I don't get the ignoring packet error.

My program still locks up though.  I'm going to try and figure it out
myself first.  I do have a question though.

Is there any way that compilation options for redboot would affect the
running of my eCos program?

@ 2001-08-13  9:53     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I recompiled redboot again, and I don't get the ignoring packet error.
>
> My program still locks up though.  I'm going to try and figure it out
> myself first.  I do have a question though.
>
> Is there any way that compilation options for redboot would affect the
> running of my eCos program?

Not in general.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-13 13:13       ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-08-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

What about the clock speed of the processor?  Default settings for the
EDB7111 is 73.728MHz.  So, I assume that redboot must be set to this
since the Redboot user guide seems to use mostly default values.  Is
this likely to cause a problem if I need my eCos program to run at
18.432MHz?  But, I would think that since eCos is the last system to
start up, the CPU should be set to 18.432MHz instead of what redboot
wanted it to be.

I think I'm just grasping for solutions to my PCMCIA controller problem!
lol  I haven't worked on it in quite awhile because I think I need more
information.  It's out of production, what do you expect!!  It doesn't
look very promising, that's for damn sure.

> I recompiled redboot again, and I don't get the ignoring packet error.
>
> My program still locks up though.  I'm going to try and figure it out
> myself first.  I do have a question though.
>
> Is there any way that compilation options for redboot would affect the
> running of my eCos program?

Not in general.

Jifl
--

@ 2001-08-13 13:27         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-13 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> What about the clock speed of the processor?

Oh you meant *eCos* configuration options when you said "compilation
options". I thought you meant the compile line options. In that case, "yes"
:-).

> Default settings for the
> EDB7111 is 73.728MHz.  So, I assume that redboot must be set to this
> since the Redboot user guide seems to use mostly default values.  Is
> this likely to cause a problem if I need my eCos program to run at
> 18.432MHz?  But, I would think that since eCos is the last system to
> start up, the CPU should be set to 18.432MHz instead of what redboot
> wanted it to be.

I don't think RedBoot uses the timer for anything, so porbably okay.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] program doesn't work with new redboot
@ 2001-08-13 14:10           ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-08-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos Disuss'

Sorry, wrong terminology! :)

It's not the timer I'm worried about.  If the CL-PS6700 does not run at
a constant 18.432MHz, it will not work properly.  The cycle timing will
be off and I won't be able to communicate with the PC-card.

So, with this new information, is it possible that Redboot's clock rate
could interfere with the eCos program?