* [ECOS] AT91 Serial Receive: asserts when buffer fills up
@ 2007-05-31 23:17 Jim Seymour
From: Jim Seymour @ 2007-05-31 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In the serial DSR in at91_serial.c, there is a CYG_FAIL() macro if the
receive buffer fills up.  (Line #612)

Is this appropriate?  We like to run with asserts turned on (at least
during development), but in our application, overflowing the receive
buffer is not that big of a deal.

It appears that all the other serial drivers quietly throw away
characters if their receive buffer is full.  Any complaints if I submit
a patch to do the same in the AT91 driver?

--
Jim Seymour, Cipher Systems, Inc., 503-617-7447, http://www.cipher.com

* Re: [ECOS] AT91 Serial Receive: asserts when buffer fills up
@ 2007-05-31 23:32 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-05-31 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Seymour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 03:20:21PM -0700, Jim Seymour wrote:
> In the serial DSR in at91_serial.c, there is a CYG_FAIL() macro if the
> receive buffer fills up.  (Line #612)
>
> Is this appropriate?  We like to run with asserts turned on (at least
> during development), but in our application, overflowing the receive
> buffer is not that big of a deal.
>
> It appears that all the other serial drivers quietly throw away
> characters if their receive buffer is full.  Any complaints if I submit
> a patch to do the same in the AT91 driver?

"all other" equates to just the sh/scif driver. At the moment there
are only two drivers to do block transfers, the AT91 being the other.

Removing the CYG_FAIL is O.K.

         Andrew